Milk allergy and butter/margarine

sunshine123

Hi all

I thought I'd just try and put this out there, maybe someone else will know?

My daughter has a cow's milk allergy, and in SA I used to buy her Blossom margarine, and also the Blossom 'brick' margarine for baking (same as Stork brick)

However, here in Sydney (Kellyville) I can only find a margarine (for spreading) that contains no milk - I haven't been able to find a baking style margarine that would be sufficient for making cookies/cakes.

Is there perhaps someone out there who knows the answer to this?

Thanks! :)

Sonja

Hi Sonja,

My son gets eczema from gluten and dairy so I try to avoid it. I have made biscuits and a cake using Nuttelex. It's not the brick style but I just spoon it out onto the scale. Worked fine - it also says on the pack that it's suitable for cooking and baking. Hope you come right soon!

Annie

I have just asked a friend, who is severely allergic to dairy (and who's daughter is allergic to soy!), what she uses to bake with and she also said Nuttlex.

http://www.nuttelex.com.au/nuttelex-original/

ps. the only marg I can see in brick form is called Fairy

We also can’t use cow dairy. I usually bake with Nuttlex or grapeseed oil works well. Have you tried any of the sheep’s cheese.? St Ives Harris Farmers stock sheep’s milk ice cream now. Try the Fleur sheep’s cheese by Grandvewe, it has lavender in and is lip smacking they also do a great pecorino. We also buy the Bulgarian Kashkaval Cheese by Kebia and the sheeps yoghurt by Meredith. Upstairs in St Ives right next to Asian super market. They have an Italian deli that is stocking heaps of sheep’s milk cheeses. They are all clearly labelled. I can’t remember the places name. Have a look at Allergy-Free Desserts: Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Soy and Nut-Free Delights by Elizabeth Gordon it is a great cookbook if you have allergies in the family.

Thanks everyone for the great replies!

I just bought Nuttelex this morning during my grocery run - found it at Woolies! I will try it in my cookies. Unfortunately, I used to be able to get chocolate chips in SA that didnt contain milk - but they were still really yummy; here I can't find any - I have found non-dairy chocolate bars/slabs, but my daughter doesn't fancy that too much :ilikeit: . I'm going to try using mini marshmallows in my cookie recipe and see how that turns out! :lol:

Thanks Sonnetjie for the recommendations on cheese and ice cream - will defnitely give that a try!

The 70% Lindt dark chocolate is dairy free. If I remember correctly the dark chocolate in green & black is also diary free. Please check ingredients. I would usually just buy dark chocolate and chop it up and use it instead of chocolate chips. I also use the Dutch cocoa by Van Houten - St Ives Harris Farmers stock it as it is gluten and dairy free. All the best with your baking. We preservative and artificial colorant, gluten & dairy free etc so we tend to make our own marshmallows. If you want a recipe let me know.

Thanks Sonnetjie and rozellem! I'm sure the Lindt 70% would be delicious in the cookies!

Sounds like you are also challenged in the kitchen with all the all the things that can't be eaten Sonnetjie! I admire you for making your own marshmallows!! <_<

I also use the Lindt 70% but not the Green & Blacks as it does contain dairy - for some reason they seem to have changed their recipe as I don't think they used to. Luckily my son will also eat the choc as a treat. Doing both gluten and dairy is so challenging sometimes! They have such a good range of stuff here though.

Thanks for all the advise. I just read the post and find it really helpful. We are also dairy/soy/food colorants/ preservative free as far as possible and there was a few handy tips. I've found in Aldi's some sweets/lollies that is preservative free and free from artificial colors. The add natural colors that’s derived from natural products. Apparently its imported from Germany and Germany got a ban on artificial colorants and preservative in children’s products like sweets.

Another thing, we use Vitasoy rice milk. I found that if you look in the fridge at Coles you find them in different packaging that needs to be refrigerated and it is a lot cheaper that the once on the shelves. For the Sheepmilk cheese, there is a deli in Sanctury lakes shopping mall (Melbourne), the same one that sell some South African products, and they sell sheepmilk cheese (the once in the fridge) that is really cheap as well as sheepmilk yougurt etc.

http://hullabaloofood.com/store/index.php?...at&catId=30

Hullabaloofood - Makes all natural food colours we use them when we baking birthday cakes etc

We use coconut milk or almond or hazelnut milk to replace all cows milk in recipes. You can replace it cup for cup.

Thank you for the tip re Aldi

Thanks for the link Rozellem - very interesting, especially for us as he isn't badly allergic which means we can buy it - I did wonder why the change because the original bars we used didn't have anything on the ingredients about milk powder.

Kriki, we also use the Vitasoy rice milk - my son doesn't seem to mind it at all. But we also use goats milk instead of cows for his night time drink. And sheep's milk cheese/yoghurt have been great! Lucky you getting it cheaper - I get my son the sheeps cheese but it's $50 per kg which is fairly steep! We don't use it too frequently but it is nice to be able to give some dairy.

Kriki, we also use the Vitasoy rice milk - my son doesn't seem to mind it at all. But we also use goats milk instead of cows for his night time drink. And sheep's milk cheese/yoghurt have been great! Lucky you getting it cheaper - I get my son the sheeps cheese but it's $50 per kg which is fairly steep! We don't use it too frequently but it is nice to be able to give some dairy.

Wow, that is exspensive. We were looking around everywhere until we found the sheepmilk cheese by accident. Its $9/$11 for 900g (depending on where we buy it from). We usually paid something in the low $30's. The one we get now is called Bulgarian Feta and as the name says its from Bulgarian. We looked in all the little shops that import food. Don't know if you have anything like that around you. Here are a few little shops that sell food from countries around the world.

Archived