Microsoft SQL Server Developer

Robbie_P

Hi,

I will be immigrating to Australia in March 2011 (earlier if needed) and as I like being proactive, I wanted to find out if there were any employment opportunities in Sydney.

I am currently working as a SQL / Database Developer for Vodacom (South Africa’s biggest Mobile Network Provider). I have been in this position for 4 ½ years which includes the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Development / Report Writing

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Development / Report Writing

Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) / ETL Development

Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to Oracle 10g conversation

I currently have Permanent Residency in Australia and would like to know if there are any positions available in Sydney? As mentioned I will be in Sydney in March 2011 (sooner if needed)

If you feel you would be able to assist, please let me know and I will send you my CV.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Robbie

+27 76 395 7926

Hey Robbie

Your best bet at this stage would be to check seek.com.au. I did a quick search for SQL and there are a number of jobs in Sydney going at the moment.

I would suggest that you go ahead and apply for some positions and see if you can secure something before you leave SA. You are ahead of the game as you already have PR which makes you more attractive than someone looking for a sponsorship.

The other option for you is to find a recruitment agency specifically in the IT industry. Give then your resume and see what comes of it. I did a Google search for IT recruitment companies in Sydney and there are a heap of companies out there offering their services.

Good luck with it all and keep us updated with how things are going!

See ya

Jonno

Thanks Jonno,

I have made contact with a few companies directly, so I'm just waiting to hear back.

I think I will focus on the job hunting alot more in January, when its about 2 months before I arrive in Sydney.

Cheers,

Robbie

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have passively started looking for work in Syndey whilst still in Cape Town. So far the response has been pretty decent.

I contacted one company directly and I have a telephonic interview setup next week. I have also been using an agency and they managed to get me a telephonic interview, which went well and resulted in a 2nd interview in the comming days.

With regards to getting IT work in Sydney, from Cape Town and when in Sydney, is it quite common for a company to do the following:

1: Initial interview and brief technical test

2: Technical assigment

3: Discussion and behaviour interview

Is this standard when looking for IT jobs? Well i got past the initial interview and brief technical test, just need to do the Technical assigment, discusuison and behaviour interview.

Regards,

Robbie

Hi Robbie

First of all, awesome news that you have got some interviews happening already. They sound like they both went well?

I know when I went through my interview process it was pretty much the same thing. First interview was with the HR and direct manager. Second interview was a technical focused discussion to see how much knowledge i had within the industry and third interview was again with my direct manager and HR manager and focused more on personality traits etc.

So to answer your question it seems this is the common interview process over here.

Good luck for the upcoming interviews, sure all will go well.

See ya

Jonno

@Jon, thanks man.

I have managed to get a 3rd interview with a company called FairFax digital media. The 2nd interview done yesterday morning was extremely stressful and nerve wrecking. The interview was scheduled to start at 630am, and to be finished by 730-8am, but there were some issues with getting the environment setup for the technical test on my side, so the interview only started at 830am and finished around 10am.

At the time of the 1 hour technical interview (time limit)I had my current employer calling me about a production issues. Also, I have been working for Vodacom for the last 5 years and this was actually the first time I have been interviewed as a SQL Developer and this was my first technical interview, so I almost forgot the how to be interview and the preparation. All this added to the nerves.

It seems it went well and I have been called in for a 3rd and final visual Skype interview tomorrow morning which I think is more of a behavioral interview.

I also have another interview with a company called Dimension Data tomorrow morning after the interview with FairFax, which I hope also goes as well.

I think the lesson learnt in my experience is that you can have a wonderful / professional looking CV and solid work experience, but its extremely important that you prepare for the interviews (technical and behavioral) which come your way.

Although I have PR and not reliant on a job offer, I have still been passively looking for jobs for when I arrive. This has actually been the most stressful part on my entire Australian adventure, which includes the ACS Assessment, EILTS, gathering documentation, 175 PR submission, the wait, apply for my daughters visa and the whole moving process!

I started thinking that finding work in SQL Development, or any development for that matter, while still in SA is a myth, but you've proven me wrong. Cool!

Congratulations!

Rover, are you based in SA? Have you made plans to move over to Oz?

I think it really makes a big difference if you have PR sorted and don't need to rely on sponsorship. That said, I do know people who have been sponsored by Australian based companies.

I also have another interview with a company called Dimension Data tomorrow morning after the interview with FairFax, which I hope also goes as well.

Well done Robbie. Did you know that Dimension Data is a South African company? :blush:

Congrats Robbie, awesome news!! Looks very positive so far, hope all goes well for you this morning for the Skype interview! Let me know how things go.......

Well.. after almost 10 hours spanned over 3 interviews at 5am (South African Time), I have been made an offer by FairFax Digital Media, which i have accepted :rolleyes:

This will be a great help for my family and I but now means we will all be leaving together, almost a month sooner.

This has been extremely stressful but has been rewarded with a BIG relief!

Well.. after almost 10 hours spanned over 3 interviews at 5am (South African Time), I have been made an offer by FairFax Digital Media, which i have accepted :rolleyes:

This will be a great help for my family and I but now means we will all be leaving together, almost a month sooner.

This has been extremely stressful but has been rewarded with a BIG relief!

Great news Robbie. Congrats! I also work with SQL, Developer & DBA, so its good to see that another SQL person has landed a job. ;)

When are you starting?

Rover, are you based in SA? Have you made plans to move over to Oz?

I think it really makes a big difference if you have PR sorted and don't need to rely on sponsorship. That said, I do know people who have been sponsored by Australian based companies.

Still in SA, and unfortunately will still be here a while due to landing up in Priority Processing Group 4... long story... PR application is older than 2 years already.

I'm somewhere in between a SQL Admin/Developer and a C# .Net Developer, with networking and security experience in smaller organisations (100 users or less). Currently busy learning Silverlight, which means I cover the complete development cycle from data design to UI.

This combination seem to confuse people.

Congrats and great news on landing feet running, so to speak.

Well..

After being told by the recruitment agent that he could 'guarantee I had the job' and 'my job offer would be arriving the next day' and that i should 'cancel other interviews I had lined up', i was actually told to do another technical test. After completing 5 of the 6 questions to their satisfaction, although my final answer was correct, it was not to best way, and because of this, I wasn't offered the job.

This whole process has been a great learning curve and good preparation in terms of job hunting as I haven't been job hunting for almost 5 years!

Things which I have learnt from this experience

1: Be careful of agents, they are salesmen.

2: Don't assume you have a job until you have an offer in writing

3: Treat each interview as a learning experience and as preparation for your next interview

4: Don't get personal with the job you after or take it personally if you don't get the job (keep your chin up).

5: Job hunting from another country is extremely stressful, so maybe its a better to start looking when you actually arrive

Cheers,

Robbie

Well..

After being told by the recruitment agent that he could 'guarantee I had the job' and 'my job offer would be arriving the next day' and that i should 'cancel other interviews I had lined up', i was actually told to do another technical test. After completing 5 of the 6 questions to their satisfaction, although my final answer was correct, it was not to best way, and because of this, I wasn't offered the job.

This whole process has been.....

Hey Robbie,

Been following this thread after trying to find employment while in RSA for a long while with no success. The only sure way to secure employment is to land there and go job hunting (definitely less stressful and person to person interviews go better). Usually takes about two weeks to a month to land a job.

Cheers

M

Ai tog, what a unnecessary learning curve. If you got that far in the selection process while still physically in RSA, you would almost definitely have waxed it in person. Dont despair, the end is around the corner.

ps. maybe you will get to stay in Paddington after all, lucky you.

Hey Robbie

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all that!

The only upside, as you have pointed out, is that you have some experience in the interview process!!

Good luck with wrapping things up that side.

Cheers

Jonno

Archived