Tammy, Jack Russel Female (4 yr old) in Melbourne

SuzanneT

It is with regret that we've started the search for a new home for Tammy...

She is one of the three dogs that we brought over from South Africa.

Tammy is a very friendly, affectionate and playful doggy. She loves swimming and playing in water! She is tan and white and has been neutered and micro-chipped and her shots are all up to date.

It would be great if we could find her a South African home!

Please PM me for more information.

Thanks

Suzanne

It is with regret that we've started the search for a new home for Tammy...

She is one of the three dogs that we brought over from South Africa.

Tammy is a very friendly, affectionate and playful doggy. She loves swimming and playing in water! She is tan and white and has been neutered and micro-chipped and her shots is all up to date.

It would be great if we could find her a South African home!

Please PM me for more information.

Thanks

Suzanne

I wish, I wish! We left our Jack Russell's behind with my nephews... and we have a dam she could swim in to her heart's content!

Hope you find a loving home for her soon....

Just curious.....why are you getting rid of her after you went through the trouble and expense of getting her here? I know that potential homes will ask that question....

GOOD LUCK !

Yeah, the question was bound to pop-up!

In quarentine Tammy and our other female dog had a fight - probably due to their frustration with their surroundings. Since leaving quarentine (17 months ago) they still play together and get along, but we had two incidents now where they had fights - after we tried everything to take all the triggers away that can cause it. My husband took up studying dog behaviour to try and figure out a way to get this working, but the experts also say that if there is a personality clash, then you're better off splitting them.

I'd like to stress that Tammy is not an aggresive dog! She's very friendly - even with other dogs.

It's a bitter pill to swallow having spent a small fortune to get them here, and now having to let her go... And we're not "getting rid of her" - if it doesn't work out at her new home, she's always welcome to come back...

You obviously love your animals - otherwise you wouldn't have gone through the mission and expense to get them here (and the limitations in the initial rentals options you had available to you!) and it seems that you have done what you can.....and as hard as it is, you are doing what is best for the animals - so that they can live a more peaceful home. Divorces happen becuase of personality clashes - so why not the same in the animal kindgom? In the wild, they would have the option to keep out of each other's way....but domesticated animals do not have that luxury.

So - as hard a step as it is, congrats on making the decision, and good luck with finding her a new home....

Nix

:whome: My posts may sound very clinical - fact is, I can't bear to think about this! It's our youngest we're letting go, and it will hurt like hell! The house won't be the same without her... We love them all very much... :whome:

Hopefully, if we can get a good and loving home for her, it won't hurt that bad.

Suzanne, my heart goes out to you, I had to do exactly the same thing, for a similar reason, two months ago. It was really difficult, but as you said, we found a great home for them, and we get weekly reports on how they are doing, which is great. We were invited to visit them as often as we wish, but till now I have declined, however, we will be seeing them in two weeks, to take them their Christmas presents.

We had two Balinese cats, the older of the two Babski (12 years old), a boy, died of cancer in February. The girl Lucy (9 years old) mourned so much that we decided to eventually get her a friend. We got a six month old Bengal boy, Smooch, but, she would have none of him, so we were advised to get a friend for him, so we were fortunate enough to get his sister, Mattie. The two of them were great pals and we hoped that eventully Lucy would accept them. No chance, no way, all she wanted to do, even after 4 months, was to rip them apart. We had to keep them separated all the time, and keep very vigilant when they were given free reign of the house. So...eventually we had to make the decision to split them up for good, we could not let Lucy go, after all she was 9 years old and this was the only home she had ever known, so we had to let the Bengals go. Believe me, I still get days when I cry, but I know it was absolutely the best thing I could have done for them. Bengals are like the terriors of the cat world, very active and into everything, they now have three teenagers to keep them busy and they are absolutely loving it.

So, all I can say is you have my deepest sympathy and I sincerely hope that you find an excellent home for her.

Hi Mara!

So sorry to hear about your loss and the ensuing drama! It is encouraging that you were able to resolve it…. Our Vet also reassured us that these things happen and that we are doing the right thing.

We'll hope for the best!

Suzanne

Sad to hear that but it's probably for the best.

Unfortunately I can't accomodate another JRT & am in Perth

I've always found a pair of terriers, or any other hyperactive type dogs (i.e. JR terriers) is better than keeping one alone as they get very bored/anxious when alone and this causes destructive behaviour (usually digging).

However a mixed pair i.e male & female avoids dominance issues (= fights & large vet bills). Ideally I found a slightly older female (first in the house) and a younger male 9once the female is no longer a puppy) seems to work best as the pack order is established from the beginning.

Had our two JRT for ~ 9-10years also brought from SA & only once did they fight seriously.

No apparent reason or trigger - I think just competing for attention.

Hope you find a good home.

Archived