Travel Insurance

Search

Hi All,

We have just booked tickets online through Qantas for my folks visiting early next year. I need some advice on travel insurance. The way I see it I have two options here.

1. Get some comprehensive cover through TIC (http://www.tic.co.za/)

2. Use the ABSA Credit Card travel insurance 'top-up' feature. (we paid the tickets with an ABSA credit card)

(2) will be cheaper but I am not familiar with ABSA's travel insurance, the cover will be slightly less than TIC. (1) is more expensive by TIC is well known and we have used them before.

Can anyone share their experience? FYI - my folks will be visiting for 2 months so insurance is very important.

Thanks!

Just check ABSA terms and conditions with the insurance. I had a friend use credit card insurance only to find out at the end of the trip that the insurance was only valid, if the card holder has a ticket and flies at the same time as the other passengers (not sure from your post if the cc is yours or you folks).

My personal preference would be for stand alone insurance, simply because it is comprehensive and medical care here in Oz is so expensive.

Candice

How old are your parents? Bear in mind, if they are older than 75, they have to apply for Aus Medical Insurance, which can be quite costly (R10 000 valid for 92 days)

Thanks for the replies.

That is true Candice think I will rather pay bit extra and go with TIC.

Elize, they are <=60 so should be ok. Are you speaking from experience regarding the 75 yr insurance cost....???? That is a lot of money.

Yip, my parents are coming next year - if they are 70 and older (sorry not 75) , Aus medical insurance is compulsary. If one is older than 75, or staying longer than 90 days, they have to undergo a medical exam with an Aus panel doctor to give them an all clear....

Unfortunately, not all the travel agents in RSA is clued up, I found Flight Centre quite good, but dearer than other.

The medical insurance is not that bad - that is more or less what private health care for 3 months in Aus would be (just the exchange rate...!)

Enjoy the visit!

Hi

I used to deal with TIC a few years ago, at the time of the launch of the ABSA travel insurance product ABSA copied the TIC wording nearly word for word. I am sure though that both TIC and ABSA have amended their wording since then, but it is still a good idea to compare the fine print.

At the time AIG used to be the biggest competitor of TIC, perhaps worth the effort of obtaining their wording and a quote?

Groete

MG

Archived