TURN THE CLOCK BACK

SuzyQ2

I have been here for 11 months now, an Oz citizen before I ever set my foot in Oz. My only regret is that I did not cross the ocean years ago. I waited & waited in SA hoping things would get better, until one day my son was mugged, walking across a park from his high school to his old primary school ...... suddenly the maternal instinct took over & 10 months later we left....... Would have been good if we had come here sooner

I have been here for 11 months now, an Oz citizen before I ever set my foot in Oz. My only regret is that I did not cross the ocean years ago. I waited & waited in SA hoping things would get better, until one day my son was mugged, walking across a park from his high school to his old primary school ...... suddenly the maternal instinct took over & 10 months later we left....... Would have been good if we had come here sooner

I wish we had started the process when we first ever talked about leaving, that was 4 - 5 years before ever lodging anything :ilikeit:

We are here now and very happy so i wont loose to much time over "what ifs" - we got 3 years 4 months till our citizenship application :):whome:

I've been in this part of the world for 14 and a half years, and still wish I had done it earlier. Icould have come at least 6 years before I did.

Wish I had

I agree, even though we have been gone for 17 years, we considered it 11 years before that, we would have been much wiser to have left then! Although, to this day, I still miss my family and friends, there is absolutely nothing that would ever make me consider moving back to the RSA.

Yep, we moved here in 2005 but the thought first crossed our minds in 1995, after we'd been burgled for the umpteenth time, but the difference was that we were at home asleep on the last occassion (didn't wake up through it all though, so no incidents). We decided to stay on and see things through, even after I was the victim of a violent attack in 1997 during which I was shot.....what were we thinking :whome: I wish we'd had the courage of our convictions then and taken the plunge!

We got citizenship earlier this year and although hubby misses SA (well, he misses family and friends), I'd be quite happy to never go back if I could find a way to see my two close friends elsewhere every couple of years. As it is, I travel back fairly regularly for business purposes, and each visit reminds me how lucky I am to live where I do. :)

It took us 14 years from when we first thought and talked and started our research. In some ways I wish we had moved then so we would be better established now. However, I see it as such a blessing that our children grew up closer to their grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins!!

I wished I had come sooner too, came over for a holiday in 1996 with my family, they were concerned about RSA then and wanted me to come and live in oz to study at uni in 2000, being young and scared I said no - but I often wonder if I should have come over then. ( we had close family friends that I would have stayed with etc). I think its destiny that I am living here now though, I am obviously meant to live in oz.

To be honest - I dont really think like this. I cant really say we wish we came over earlier. We came over when we did. I am glad we two and half years down the line but only because it takes that long to truly settle and get accustomed to life in a different country.

I too wish we had come to Australia at least 10 years ago, however it doesn't pay to deal in what if's.

That said, if we had come here 10 years ago there would have been so many wonderful experiences I would have missed in South Africa and Namibia.

We did 9 years in the Caribbean before we moved to Aus and I regret nothing about that - it was a magnificent way to live. But financially we stood still for 9 years, and now we have moved to a new country to rebuild from little.....at 42 and 58......so whilst I never look back , I do wish from a financial perspective that we had moved earlier. But then things would be different....and I LOVE my life....so having said all the above, I am just grateful for where we are at, and the wonderful little daughter that we have, and the life that got us to this point.........

I'm still here, prefer not to wish, although the temptation do come along sometimes !

We only started to think of the option for ourselves two years ago - up until then we were frustrated to some extent, yes (we kind of accepted the frustration because we didn't know there was 'a way out') - but God granted us so much to be thankful for, we know even the fact that we are still here waiting for the visa, is all good and in time, regardless of what is happening around us (I do remember a feeling of astonished relief when we realized that we do not really have to put up with RSA anymore, though !). We are thankful for every day here and now and I know the day we'll fly over, we'll know it's the right thing at the right time.

We came here for a holiday in 2004 and I fell in love with the place. My ex-husband didn't want to emigrate at that stage.... so I was really disappointed!!! So when we had a terrible ordeal in 2007 back in South Africa.... and he decided now is the time to make the move.... well, I was over the moon with excitement and joy!!!!

So sometimes I think we should have done the emigration thing in 2004..... but then.... my mom passed away in 2005. Being in South Africa, allowed me to spend time with her in her final days. Being in South Africa allowed my eldest daughter to build a solid relationship with the man that is now her husband. Being in South Africa up to recently, changed my life forever.....

SO..... EVERYTHING happens for a reason!!! Although I still wished we have moved here earlier.... there are no regrets!!

For those who are still waiting.... I know it is extremely frustrating.... but hang in there.... it is really worth the wait!!!

Archived