Container sizes ????

Gawie

Hi there again,

I just want to know if anyone can tell me who to contact in connection with containers to OZ? Does one get different sizes or is it best to wait and share a container?

Cheers,

G

Hi Gawie

You get 2 Sizes 20 foot and 40 foot. When you get quotes from the movers this will include the container. I 20 foot container will takes about an average 3 bedroom houses content.

Sharing a container would depend on how much you have to move.

But if you want an indication on how much its going to cost you, contact the removal companies and they will come out to your house and give you a quote.

Hope that helps

Rudi

Hi Gawie,

See the following thread that I posted awhile back, it is a useful information source.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=2198

With regards to sizes, you get a 20ft, 40ft and a 40ft High Cube (HQ). The difference between a 40ft and 40ft HQ is extra height.

You can squeeze quite a lot into a 20ft, it is just a matter of how much you have, but container hire is definately the way to go from cost point of view. It is just to expensive to replace everything once you are there.

Regards

Russell

Hi there every one,

Thanx for all your help and advise, I'll make use of those sites as the time creeps closer.

Again thanx,

• 2 weeks later...
You do get different sizes or you can wait to share one. More on movers here: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...p=747entry747

If you share a container there are a few things to think about. There will be a delay, due to the seperating of shipments. Also I was told, but not sure, that if the container needs to be sprayed becuase of someone alse carrying seeds or bugs you will end up covering some costs.

We attended a seminar run by Magna which was very informative - and more info than just the removals. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

Carla, we are a year off, but what service can we expect from a door to door mover. This is in terms of packing and breakages, what should we be doing to prepare - we are keeping old boxes! Can I stuff my 650 (motorbike). Should we start wrapping things in bubble wrap? What is the procedure for security? Is it locked at port of exit, and opened in our presence at the destination port? How is customs affected, how and can they check value, etc? Have containers ever been broken into? Are they very secure? Are they salt air proof enough for our computers and plasma? What does a 20ft and a 40ft cost, including packing & loading (we have two very heavy safes)? Thats Durban to Perth/maybe Melbourne/ and maybe Brisbane. What is the time delay? We need to sell our house. Have surf ski's, and delicate furnature, and expensive china?

Regards, Simba

Simba.

Just be aware that if you pack any of your belongings yourself no insurance company will cover your goods. Only if they are packed by a professional company will they be insured.

Also remeber your insurance value should be the AUS$ replacement value and not the SAR value. Very important to get his right!!

Your mover should provide all NEW boxes. Old boxes do not perform well at all. Also an issue with insurers.

Our full 20ft container including all packing, storage, all custon clearances, and door-2-door in Sydney is R32000 excl insurance. Insurance cost is usually between 2-3.5% of overall replacement value.

Keep with the well known moving companies....packing methods are NB!!!

All containers are air/salt proof till they hit the water!!!!

Weight is only a problem when they are packing......all calculations are done on square foot.

Get three of the big companies in now to give you a quote.....they want your business......negotiate!!!

Hope this helps!!

Reid

Edited by Reid

Great feed-back Reid. And yes...about the insurance...most of them quote on SA Rand! There are cheaper ways of getting your stuff in Aus, but not all too reliable. The Indian Ocean is not to be under-estimated!

Thks for the advice Reid, but appliances, hifi stuff, computers & printers need their special polystyrene buffers (in their own boxes), and frankly, we prefer to pack our own stuff, insurance can come and look for themselves. Would be great to have somebody pack for you though.

In aus dollars, interesting.

And a 40foot container, price?

What removal companies can you recommend, that we can start educating ourselves?

Best regards, Simba

We are taking over a 40ft container as we are taking our off-road trailer with us, cost is R60000 +- including them doing the packing, just check as we were led to believe that if you pack yourself you are going to pick up hassels with customs.

We also have a lot of wood carvings from Zim, i presume we can't take them with. If you are taking a motorbike, car or trailer with you need to get a import permit prior to shipping. I have the contact details somewhere if interested, costs AU$50.00 and takes about 4 weeks to get and doesn't expire.

Cheers Camper

I just spoke to Magna in Durbs. A 6 meter container is +- R35 000 and a 12 meter is R65 000. They are having a seminar on the 23 May from 19h00 to 21h00 at Le Vita.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the interesting info.

I think I will need a 40ft container, but boy I will pray for the guys who will pack my stuff. The furniture is not that much but ish :) the machinery and tools are heavy B)

Fanie

Edited by Fanie Van SA