Skills Assessment NIA - HELP NEEDED

We are applying with my wife as primary applicant as her skills are on the MODL. Her qualifications are: BCom (Accountancy), Honours Bachelor of Accounting Science, MCom (Tax), CA(SA), current member of SAICA.

However, we are experiencing enormous frustration with her skills assessment application with the National Institute of Accountants (NIA), which we sent in in August 2006 already. To make a LONG story short, they declined her application, because her qualifications are not supposedly equivalent to an Oz accountant (she does not meet the core requirements).

As far as I know you only need BCom(Accountancy) to be able to apply for Accountant.

We cannot get a straight answer out of them.

We personally know of a friend (classmate) who obtained exactly the same qualifications, and was positively assessed 2 months before us. However, when we refered to this friend's case, they said it was classified and would not discuss it with us. We then officially appointed the agent (who has been assisting us in an unofficial capacity up to that point) who also handled the friend's application and could therefore discuss the case - but no joy yet. They (Chinese lady, very difficult to understand over the phone - we called them in Oz during December) even told my wife that even if she submitted more evidence (we have submitted EVERYTHING already) and pay the Aus$100 re assessment fee, there is basically no chance for a positive outcome in any case, which I find very strange.

Eventually we found out that the Business Finance requirement was the issue. We asked for clarification and received a contradicting letter from NIA saying the following:

{Quote}

We would like to confirm that “BSR 300 Management Accounting 300” for the applicant’s Bachelor of Commerce from University of Pretoria and “TOE408-W Applied Management Accounting” for the applicant’s Honours Bachelor of Accounting Science from University of South Africa do meet the core requirement Business Finance.

Whilst both of these subjects contain some Business Finance topics, they are unfortunately still not sufficient for Business Finance.

{End Quote}

Surely meeting the core requirement must mean the requirement is met.

I personally think someone made a mistake and is now trying everything not to take responsibility for their error.

We are on the verge of :

1. Involving SAICA, University of Pretoria and Unisa

2. Applying from scratch through CPA (I think this is possibly the best option)

This issue has now officially delayed the lodgment of our application with two months and we don't see light at the end of the tunnel yet. The whole thing is just ridiculous beyond any reason.

One positive thing (in a bizarre way) is thet they even acknowledged receipt of the AUS$100 re-assessment fee, which we never sent...

Does anyone have the contact details of the head of NIA (or someone in a senior position)?

We would appreciate any advice from accountants that may have had a similar experience.

Regards,

FAB

If your wife is CA, don't even go the NIA route. Go through CPA or CA australia. NIA is seen as a minor accounting body in australia and would not recommend going through them if you have CA already.

Good luck!

have you tried their site for more details www.nia.org.au ?

CA (SA) AND CA AUS Have reciprocal membership. Your wife will have to write a conversion exam if she wants to be a CA aus but for migration assessment this is not needed.

Approved Overseas Accounting Bodies

The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (the Institute) has reciprocity agreements with the following overseas accounting bodies:

The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales

The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland

The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland.

Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants

A legally constituted State Authority in the United States of America (the person having

CPA status) subject to appropriate service. Also having a Licence to Practice in the state of issue.

The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants

The New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (members of the College of Chartered Accountants)

Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe (admitted after 1, Jan 1996)

The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (only members who have completed the HKICPA Qualifications Programme and trained under an Authorised Employer/Supervisor).

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/A117137154 link

Ek het die CPA roete gegaan. My dokumente is einde Julie 2006 ingedien en ek sukkel steeds om 'n antwoord van hulle af te kry oor hoe die proses vorder.....

Hi

My wife applied at the NIA as she only have a BCom Hons Accounting with CTA and QE1 (waiting for results of QE2). Do anybody know how you can track your application.

We are getting worried as it appears that the NIA was the wrong choice. Please advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Great news from our side! :unsure: As a last resort before going the CPA route, I did a search on Google for any articles on NIA, and found one where they talked about the new CEO who joins in Feb. They also mentioned a whole number of board members and managers. I then used the same format as the emails we received from them namely name.surname@nia.org.au and emailed a letter explaining my predicament to each person they mentioned. :whome: I had two hits and got a response from the communications manager, who forwarded my complaint to the head of education. He undertook to pull my file, and about a week later we received an email stating that they forwarded the case to the National Membership Committee, and they decided my wife does in fact meet the core requirements for Accountant :unsure:

However, they wanted the original negative assessment back before sending the new one. We immediately couriered it away and this morning the positive assessment arrived :unsure: and our 136 application (which has been sitting and waiting since 1 December 06) was couriered today.

Good luck with everyone who still has to go through the skills assessment, now the waiting game starts for us. Anyone willing to take a guess (we won't hold you to it) by when we would have the visas (just for rough planning of a LSD hopefully later this year).

Cheers,

FAB :cry:

Hi FAB

I'm impressed with your ingenuity (vindingrykheid...) :) - shows you - a BOER MAAK 'N PLAN !!!!

Sounds like the kind of levels I would also go to. I shudder when I read about these people with BCom / BCompt degrees who get 'declined' by the NIA for not meeting all the subject criteria, especially as I've also had to submit my assessment to them, but your wife's story was the pitts.

Congratulations !!

:ilikeit:

TjaartvdW