JHB - SYD IN 2 MONTHS!

Whit

Hi All,

We have PR ( Distinguished Talent) which was granted in 2008, we have been over to OZ a couple of times and were going to move immediately...till my husband got offered a really good job in JHB....long story short, the time is now right thank heavens, came over last month(October) and husband has employment (now just to find one for me in Sydney, as my job offers where all in Melbourne)

BUT the issue is now I have 2 to 2 and a half months to get there....I really don't think I husband appreciates the enormity of the task! Does anyone possibly have a list of things to do to make it easier and quicker to organise things?, That way I can give hubby half the list and tell him to go for it! I have some of the major points, but I know that in this major rush and panic phase I'm going to forget something important. Luckily we do already have banking and medicards sorted in Oz.

Also can someone pls give me advice re Tax clearance and RA's etc....How to get money out of SA. I got the forms from the various places (momentum etc) but on the list of requirements is, besides the application for TAx clearance and the MP336 (?)....

1. also required is a letter from the authorised dealer confirming the emigration - um, who would this authorised dealer BE????

2. A letter from an quthorised dealer (on a letterhead) that includeds confirmation that the account is a BLOCKED ACC and that the amount paid into the account will be subject to the exchange control regulation....HUH? Are they going to Block my Bank acc???? :stretcher:

Hey!

Can't anwer your questions, but just want to encourage you - it CAN BE DONE. Don't sweat. We didn't have ANYTHING sorted beforehands, no bank accounts, nothing. We ended up having to sort out everything for the big move in a month and about 2 weeks - including selling cars, house, sorting out what to throw away or give away, and what to bring, cleaning everything down to the toothbrush ordeal haha, sanding and varnishing unvarnished pine bedroom furniture (kids), organising container, finding a place to stay here, etc etc. And we did it. Well, I bascially had to do it, as hubby had to hand over his projects at work, and he worked until 2 days before we flew out! Won't lie to you - it was chaotic, thought I was getting fried brain :).

My one piece of advice - it kept me sane! Go NOWHERE without a notepad that has a pen attached to it. Not even to the toilet. Because you are bound to think of something that you still want/have to do, and when you get to the notepad in the lounge the thought will be gone! Make your lists, tick off, and rewrite your list when the page gets too messy. This was on top of my excel list of things to do - this was just my memory jotter. It saved me from going totally off my rocker :D. I think... heehee.

All the best. We made our flights in time, didn't forget to do anything important, had a house sorted here, etc etc. You will too, even though it might not feel like it now. And once you are here, you can relax and start the rest of your life in this wonderful country.

You can do it! :lol:

The authorized agent would be your bank. But you don't really have to do that now ...

Thanks NLB and lam

have notebook - CHECK

have pen - CHECK

have forum saved to favorites - CHECK

have fried brain - CHECK

LAm - are they going to block my bank acc?

If you do the formal immigration they will. I used Tanya from exchange4free they are great at helping with forex. With the fact that you can take out 1mill for travel, do you need to cash up now? It is certainly more challenging doing it from Australia.

Yes, cashing up now would certainly be preferable...leaving in JAn or Feb....

Whats the difference between formal and informal immigration???? I would assume that if I want to surrender and get my Retirement Annuities out of SA then it would have to be formal?..... But then you know what they say about AssUme!

• 3 months later...

Formal immigration is when you denounce your south african residence. A requirement is to close all your bank accounts.

If you are not able to get all your money out when leaving, I would suggest the following:

If you are not able to get your tax clearance from SARS make sure you leave power of attorney with a famiy member. Give SARS a call they will guide you as to where to find the proper document. You will also have to give a family member power of attorney to do international transfers at the bank.

If you are not able to get this done prior to leaving, as it does get hectic, it is not impossible to do it from Australia. We register posted our documents to parents who did the transfer for us. The tax clearance for international investment, unfortunalty can not be done online at SARS, it has to be a manual paper.

Good luck with you move

Does anyone possibly have a list of things to do to make it easier and quicker to organise things

Here is a 100 point checklist that you could use.

Here is a 100 point checklist that you could use.

The original of the link you quoted is right here on this forum. Found here. And the author is myself not Liesel Rennie.

Jordy, well done, take a bow. I honestly dislike it when someone else copies information found on this forum, without any acknowledgement, that they have dones so! Poor, very poor!

The original of the link you quoted is right here on this forum. Found here. And the author is myself not Liesel Rennie.

Thanks for posting the link again. I knew it was on the forum (I remember reading it some time ago) but I just could not find it. Eventually I Googled it and found similar on the Sabona website

Jordy, well done, take a bow. I honestly dislike it when someone else copies information found on this forum, without any acknowledgement, that they have dones so! Poor, very poor!

In her defence, she did not claim the information as her own work. This is what she said:"The information provided below is based on various posts from the http://www.saaustralia.org/ forums often using ‘copy and paste'. Credit belongs to the forum members and not the collator of this article"

Archived