Child Care/PreSchool in Canberra...

IamInACT

Hi

Now things look like getting back on track with the visa applications, there is no time like the present, to start looking for schools for your kids. This a good list of schools with links to their websites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schoo...pital_Territory .

ACT is known in Australia for it’s great education but as in all place some schools are better than others. It appears that the newer schools seem to open with the best facilities and the best teachers but as new schools open the teachers move around. Public schools only go up to grade 10 and then they are off the college, which is like Uni, no real control like in a school though. There should not be an issue getting you child into a public school in the area you will live in. 4 year olds in Government preschools can only attend school 12hrs a week, this is normally 3 day for 4 hours or 2 days for 6 hours.

Christian and Catholic and Private Schools go from age 3 all the way up to grade 12. These schools also have strange intake years. My wife is friends with a public school teacher and she suggests that High school should be completed at a private school; that being the case it is always good to be in a school from the start.

For the younger kids 0 - 5, there are 2 challenges you will face; place availability and cost. A good place to look for info is http://www.careforkids.com.au or Google …;)

1) Place availability – Many of the good facilities have extensive waiting lists. We have our sons down at Bergmann, Canberra Grammar, Brindabella. My eldest is going into the year before “big†school (Kindi) and the only hope that he has in getting into these schools at the moment, is if his little brother gets in for 3 years olds in 2012. Not that there is anything really wrong with Harrison School, we would like him in a Christian school. We enrolled the oldest before we left SA, but some these place kids are place on the lists from birth.

2) Cost – this is really true for the day-care facilities for 0 – 5 year olds and again places in these facilities are hard to come by. School fees for a full day (and you have to pay for a full day) is from $75 - $100 per day!! On $75 a day for 2 kids one parent would have to earn $50K just to send them to day-care.

Education is very important for our kids so this info is just to make you aware … if you did not already know… that if you are coming to the ACT, you need to start making choices sooner rather then later…..if you can.

Later

T

Living and Loving It.

If it wasnt for centrelink we would not be able to afford our child to go to daycare. Also if both parents work you not only get centrelink assistance for daycare but also a child care rebate of up to $7500 a year for out pocket expences (ie a refund for the portion you have to pay).

Thanx T, this is good info. some time ago someone, I think Sibella? also posted a link on the grading of schools and how their performance is rated. I will search for that link, because that was really cool. If Im not mistaken , Red Hill Primary did very well.

Thanks for the info - its very useful.

Yes the website is: http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Redhill has very good results and there are a few others including Garran and Maribyrnong Primary School.

I think the problem we will find is that the schools with good results are usually in very expensive areas (the same as here in England).

But I'm sure that lots of other schools are also excellent and I can see that many Naplan results have improved from 2008 to 2009 which is also a good indication.

• 1 month later...

How difficult is it then to get your child enrolled into one of these pre schools or family care centres?

All of them seem to have a waiting list?

How difficult is it then to get your child enrolled into one of these pre schools or family care centres?

All of them seem to have a waiting list?

Getting enrolled is not the problem as you will go on to the waiting list .... it is the waiting....How old are your children?

Any think upto 5 year can be tricky, we where lucky for our 2 year old as it was a new centre and there where vacancies... The problem is that until you know where you are going to live put you name down could be an issue .... like putting his name down in Gordon and but living in Forde just would not work.

We did do waiting lists for kinder and above schools .... Let me know how I can help?

If you know where you are going to be working, you could focus your search for daycare on that area - ie if you know your office is in Civic, you could get on the waiting lists for daycare centres in Civic, Turner, O'Connor, Reid (all areas close to the CBD).

We have one child in ABC Turner and one child at St Philips Kindergarten in O'Connor and are very happy with both those places so I can highly recommend these centres from personal experience.

Hi There,

This has gotten us thinking and a little worried, we have 3 kids aged 12 - Grade 6, 9 - Grade 4, And 3 1/2 now going into pre grade R. We have looked at a few schools today and one keeps cropping up Trinity Christian Shool.

Is there anyone who can give us some information about this school, beside the fact that it is in Tuggeranong. From the pic's and website it really looks good, but does not mention what the fees are etc.

Thanks

T

Getting enrolled is not the problem as you will go on to the waiting list .... it is the waiting....How old are your children?

Any think upto 5 year can be tricky, we where lucky for our 2 year old as it was a new centre and there where vacancies... The problem is that until you know where you are going to live put you name down could be an issue .... like putting his name down in Gordon and but living in Forde just would not work.

We did do waiting lists for kinder and above schools .... Let me know how I can help?

I have three boys, by the time that we arrive in Canberra they will be 3, 6 and 11 years old

And I suppose it makes sense to first see where we will be staying and working

What is the working hours in Canberra if schools start at 9:00?

I have three boys, by the time that we arrive in Canberra they will be 3, 6 and 11 years old

And I suppose it makes sense to first see where we will be staying and working

What is the working hours in Canberra if schools start at 9:00?

Working hours depend on employer ..... I work from 8h00 until 16h30 my wife work from 9h00 to 17h30 ... it really just depends....

Archived