Passport issue for PR visa

Dedrei

Hi guys & gals

Not sure if some of you might be able to help :ilikeit: but here goes.

I am married, but currently still using my maiden surname as my passport that I have currently is in my maiden name. As I didn't have the time to apply for new passports after we got married. We left for Aus, 5 months after our wedding. We are in Australia already on a 457 visa and in process of applying for 136 PR visa.

Ok, so I have applied for my new passport in my married surname recently -can take up to 6 months as you know - so we will be applying for PR probably end of Feb/start of March. I probably won't have my new passport yet, so will have to do application in my surname as on my current passport.

Question is, "do I complete the form for change in circumstances" when I do eventually get the new passport and then send a copy to DIAC (dimia)? Also if we frontload medicals/pcc's about 2/3 months after application for PR is in and this is still done on my current surname, will I have to redo these in my married surname, seeing as I have sent DIAC the copy of my new passport and advised them? Just trying to figure out, where along the line we might get delayed for some reason with DIAC because of it and to plan ahead.

Any help/insight/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Dedrei

I DON'T envy you the position you're in! I would suggest you send an e-mail to the DIMA (or is that DIC now? :) ) and find out directly from them. The last thing you need is added complications once your PR application is in! Rather make sure you know exactly before you put the application in.

Good Luck! I know you'll come out on top of it!!! ;)

Pam

Dedrei,

don't panic!

A woman in Australia has every legal right to go in her married name or her maiden name.

If you get PR in your maiden name, so what?

You just use your married name, as usual, for the rest of your life.

On applying for Australia citizenship, you can apply in your married name or maiden name.

If you want an Australian passport in your maiden name . . . fine.

You have to provide proof of marriage (marriage certificate) if you want to get an Australian passport in your married name.

The circumstances don't make that much difference, do they? :ilikeit:

Thanks Bob, if it was only so easy. You have to let DIAC know if you get issud a new passport and Especially if your name has changed on it. I have to fill in a special form and send a certified copy with our application. Still don't know about the PCC's. Probably don't need to do them again, cause it is still me afterall.

Not too sure on this one Dedrei, but it may be better to apply for the PR visa in your married name and attach a declaration explaining the discrepancy in your passport details. That way, you would be able to get medicals and police checks done in your married and maiden names and once you receive your new passport, send copies immediately to DIAC.

Kind regards,

Fiona

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia