Only in South Africa

Toitjie

Do you remember the Afrikaans television series "Trompie" in the 80's? I was a big fan.

Last week someone bought one of the DVD's with a few episodes on for my kids. While they were watching, Trompie wanted to borrow R 12 :( from him dad, the bank manager.

His dad patiently asked him what his collataral is ("sekuriteit"). Trompie did not know the meaning of the word.

My 6 year old daughter immediately sat up straight and said, she knows what "sekuriteit" is! Its a big fence to keep out bad people..... :)

Only SA children will think out of the box...or should I rather say...on the fence...

Yep I remember Trompie, I also remember them taking it off TV because they said he was to naughty and would influence us kids! Compared to what happens in schools today he is "St Trompie" :ilikeit:

:ilikeit: As I'm writing I'm singing 'Trompie en die bliksem bende' - what a classic it was. I grew up with Wielie Walie, Haas Daas se nuus kas, Heidi and all those old favourites....life seemed so innocent then.

Pipit

Hi

It it not bliksem bende :whome: It is bokssombende :ph34r::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Being english I can understand getting that one wrong ....lol

My kids are singing that song endlessly.

Cramer - of Im not mistaken, Trompie was played by Friedrich Stark, who today, is the producer of the sepie Binnelanders.....

Here in the UK the kids read Horrid Henry books at school - anything to get them interested in reading is what they say.

Cannot imagine an Afrikaans school reading Trompie though....

I also loved Saartjie & Maasdorp & Keurboslaan.

Things haven't changed that much - my daughter adores Enid Blyton and she is reading her way through Malory Towers at the moment.

I was in love with saartjie, could not take my eyes of her .... :whome::whome:

Here in the UK the kids read Horrid Henry books at school - anything to get them interested in reading is what they say.

Cannot imagine an Afrikaans school reading Trompie though....

I also loved Saartjie & Maasdorp & Keurboslaan.

Things haven't changed that much - my daughter adores Enid Blyton and she is reading her way through Malory Towers at the moment.

Horrid Henry is popular here as well.

I read all the Trompie's as a kid "Nie sleg vir a soutie" Was upset when they canceled the show!

and Knersus...i just loved that flying thing and his pairs of teeth-sets hanging on line, waiting for someone to pass so they could bite them..

and Liewe Heksie. Still the best kiddies program I ever saw

Hi

It it not bliksem bende :angry: It is bokssombende :angry::whome::whome:

Being english I can understand getting that one wrong ....lol

And after all these years I thought.....now I'm going to have to change the lyrics....lol :whome:

Oh now you've all hit my nostalgia button ! I've bought and read my kids the books of 'Haas Das'. Good old days. And don't forget Kraaines with Karel Kraai and Sarel Seemonster ! They had a catchy song about Vita, vita, vita, vita, vitamine Ceeeeeeeee !! hehehe. Nice memories.

Archived