Mrs Balls

SANZOZ

Hi folks. This question is mainly for those who go to Stanley Street Butchery to get their SA stuff. Has anyone found that the Mrs Balls is very "gloopy". I honestly cant think of another word, all I know is that it hasnt been the same the last few times we have bought it. We always buy the big ones so we are going to try the glass bottles and see if it makes any difference. Anyone else notice this?

Might this not be a sign that they've been exposed to heat and maybe dried out a bit?

We don't get ours there...we get the smaller (thin) bottle at Coles I believe. Gotta have my Mrs Balls with a good stew. :ilikeit:

-G

PS. For the record, my wife makes a bloody good stew... easily as good (possibly better) "as my ma used to make".

we buy the bottles and its normal.

Might this not be a sign that they've been exposed to heat and maybe dried out a bit?

We don't get ours there...we get the smaller (thin) bottle at Coles I believe. Gotta have my Mrs Balls with a good stew. :blink:

Yeah we also thought something like that. Its more gelatinous. We will definitely be buying the smaller ones from now on and see if it makes a difference. Wonder what the cost difference is between SA shop and Coles? I haven't seen them in Coles at all, but I must be honest, I just do not understand the layout of things in Coles, it doesn't make sense to me at all.

PS. For the record, my wife makes a bloody good stew... easily as good (possibly better) "as my ma used to make".

Trying to score points there??? We will be in Melbourne for Christmas and New Years.... expecting an invite to sample some of this famous stew ;)

Here in SA I have noticed that they have added more starch or gelatin to Mrs. Balls - no doubt to increase profits somehow.. Made me switch to Wellington's - much better.

Made me switch to Wellington's - much better.

How could you?????? Sorry but Wellingtons make the best chilli sauce but should steer clear of making chutney. There is nothing like Mrs Balls!!

Here in SA I have noticed that they have added more starch or gelatin to Mrs. Balls - no doubt to increase profits somehow..

The plot thickens...........

(excuse the pun)

I haven't seen them in Coles at all, but I must be honest, I just do not understand the layout of things in Coles, it doesn't make sense to me at all.

I will never understand the layout of supermarkets here. They never seem to make sense, and even differ from shop to shop in the same chain. The other day I was looking for a canned frosting. Normally it's by the baking goods, but the Coles i went to, put them in the sugar section. It's no wonder it takes me ages to shop. :thumbdown:

New in the country and shopping takes forever...especially with a 5-year old in tow! :ilikeit:

• 3 weeks later...

I am 100% cured of my Mrs Balls addiction - yes i was seriously addicted to it back in RSA, it went on EVERYTHING!

Since landing in OZ i have not wanted to buy it and have not eaten it and really like the MasterFoods BBQ sauce, this was my "trade-in"

its one thing leaving South Africa, but never Mrs Balls, S you traitor!lol

pkn I ALMOST feel guilty enough to order some online BUT i am strong and will overcome the urge :)

its one thing leaving South Africa, but never Mrs Balls, S you traitor!lol

I have to agree. That should be punishable by death! :)

I have to agree. That should be punishable by death! :)

Death???? Such a hard sentence . . . not in Australia :)

• 1 month later...
Here in SA I have noticed that they have added more starch or gelatin to Mrs. Balls - no doubt to increase profits somehow.. Made me switch to Wellington's - much better.

I have to agree I think this last year the quality of Mrs Balls has dropped. Smaller pieces and as you say something added to thicken it to make up for whatever they have taken out to reduce costs. I stopped buying the chutney for a while I get it again now but rarely use it - think I will give Wellington's a go.

It reminded me of the All Gold apricot jam who did the same - took out all the chunks of fruit and now it is just a thick syrup - I go to the local farmers markets now and buy home made jam now.

I think the guys taking a well loved product and changing it so drastically should be theones punished.

Archived