House sizes

K-Vdm

Hi all,

I was reading a post by someone else saying that one shouldn't take too much stuff over as it won't fit the houses. Most replies to this post dissagreed with the poster.

Now I need to ask - in general, a 3x2, is this similar to RSA?

Why I am asking - we have sold our house and will move into a rental here whilst we wait and save till everything is sorted etc (and we have our visa). I have already sold our extra lounge suite and daybed (huge thing), but still have a 3mx3m corner suite for our lounge that we want to take.

We have 2 dining sets (1 a small 4 seater with smallish server), and our other one is modern and very nice (I love it), but it's 2.1m long, 8 seater with a large server and huge mirror.

I am scared that it won't fit into a standard rental? We are looking to probably stay very close to the beach, not too far away from Adelaide city.

Any suggestions? I would not want to sell my nice things now just because it might not fit, if there is a chance that it could?

Then another quick question - is it worth it to take Large Framed mirrors? We have 2 or 3 big ones (+-2.5x1.2) that is part of our dining set as well as our bedroom set etc. Will it break on a container?

Thanks in advance for your valuable input!! :unsure:

We brought our mirrors but looking back it was a silly thing to do. Each mirror was crated in a huge wooden cage. The amount of space they consumed was astronomical. They arrived intact.

As for what you should bring. If you are paying for a conatiner, fill it. Even if you throw it away once here, it isnt going to make a difference to your cost of container. I would rather bring it than have space left over in the container. If you have too much stuff for a single container then the size of the houses here is irrelevant, as you will have to leave it behind anyway.

I dont know about house sizes in Adelaide so cant help you there

hey my friend

house sizes here vary, but ja i agree with Jordy....bring it and if you find a place and it wont fit then sell it or put it out?

We arrived in Adelaide about 2 1/2 months ago and we have definitely experienced the rental properties to be much smaller, that is if affordability is an issue for you, like it was for us.

We had a five-bed place in RSA, so we decided to only bring over a 20-foot container with furniture that could fit in a three-bedroom property. We have one of the bigger rental properties within our price range (no more than $ 420 per week) and all our stuff still did not fit! But I must also say that we have bulky furniture.

You must also consider that most landlords won't allow you to drill holes, etc into the walls, so if you are planning on buying a property one day and you have space in the container, bring the mirrors, but just know that they will probably stand in a corner (like ours) unused.

The rental market in Adelaide is a bit scary! Not many good quality properties if you want to be close to the city centre! We saw some real dives in our hunt for the right property.

If you have too much crockery, get rid of it!! We brought all our crockery over and had to get red of about 25% in the end - the kitchens just aren't that big!

Storage in the older properties is extremely limited and we had to buy robes for the kids' bedrooms, as well as for our linen and groceries (6 in total).

We LOVE Adelaide though!! We're still in the honeymoon phase I suppose and I can't say that I really miss RSA yet (note that I'm not saying home!! - this is our new home!!).

Have a good one!

Nicci

I think that the general rule is - The closer you are to the city or beach, the smaller the house will be (or the more expensive a big house will be).

I don’t live in Adelaide, but have done a fair bit of research because we plan to move there.

I’ll go out on a limb and say if you’re staying somewhere nice like Henley Beach or Glenelg, the average affordable house is going to be far smaller than something in say Mawson Lakes (newer estate with a lot of new houses, which are bigger) which is a lot further from the city.

We live on the far outskirts of Melbourne (60km out) in a big house on a big block and when we move to Adelaide, we’ll probably trade in for a smaller house, smaller block, but be 10km from the city for about the same price.

Thank you SO much for all the reply's!!

I think I am going to keep our dining set for now, if we get there and it doesn't fit, we can sell it hopefully and buy smaller..

The mirrors I will sell here.. I forgot that you aren't allowed to drill holes, and these mirrors require BIG holes :ilikeit::)

Can't wait! Wish we knew for sure already that we are heading to South Aus.. But we are keeping our hopes up xx

Hi

It's a bit hard to comment without knowing what you can afford in terms of rentals, but I'm going to assume that if you can afford to live right by the sea, you will be able to afford a decent rental. The 3 x 3 lounge suite sounds enormous. You could be lucky though. We had a lovely large rental when we first arrived. The lounge was enormous and because we came from England we had huge empty rooms for a while. However that was 15 km out of the city and not by the beach, in Bellevue Heights. We now have a slightly smaller house near the city. The rent is substantially more than it was up in the hills. I brought a mirror, but not nearly as big as yours. It was packaged in a special reinforced cardboard box and was fine on arrival. Mirrors are incredibly expensive and if yours are framed as well I can't help but think you should maybe bring them if you like them. Chances are you will never be able to buy anything that size here anyway even if you can afford it. The one thing I can say about the 3 x 2 formula is that the ensuite bathrooms here never have baths, only showers, so even if they say there are two bathrooms, they really actually mean only one and a half.

I agree that the quality of rentals is dire. We have seen hair-raisingly decrepid properties. Old properties often have much larger rooms and higher ceilings than modern properties but no storage like Nicci said. Modern properties have good storage and often walk in robes etc. but the rooms are very small unless you are looking at the luxury end of the market. I agree, fill a container because you can't get the stuff here that you can there

Thanks again

We won't be able to afford the best of the best as we will be coming on a shoe-string budget... We would love to stay close to the beach, but will have to see what we can afford once there.

The lounge suite is big (it's a L-shape corner suite), and we have a large King sized bed as well...

I am bringing everything I like - can always try and sell once there to replace if needed..

Wish we were on our way already...

Off topic, but helpful to renters - if you have stuff that you want to hang, 3M company makes these special picture mounting strips, as well as a range of hooks etc that are all removable. It works like magic - we have hung our huge canvas paintings in our house using this system - it is very strong. It is difficult to explain - but its a type of system where the one side is tacky and the other is velcro/hook. You stick a tacky side bit to the wall and a tacky side bit to the item you want to hang and then just velcro/hook it together. When you move out, you simply pull the item off the wall, and to remove the tape thing, you pull down and release and it comes free from the wall with no damage.

The following 3M link shows a demo of putting a hook up with this system:

http://www.3m.com.au/intl/au/Brands/command/

This product is available at Bunnings - so easy to get.

• 2 weeks later...
Off topic, but helpful to renters - if you have stuff that you want to hang, 3M company makes these special picture mounting strips, as well as a range of hooks etc that are all removable. It works like magic - we have hung our huge canvas paintings in our house using this system - it is very strong. It is difficult to explain - but its a type of system where the one side is tacky and the other is velcro/hook. You stick a tacky side bit to the wall and a tacky side bit to the item you want to hang and then just velcro/hook it together. When you move out, you simply pull the item off the wall, and to remove the tape thing, you pull down and release and it comes free from the wall with no damage.

The following 3M link shows a demo of putting a hook up with this system:

http://www.3m.com.au/intl/au/Brands/command/

This product is available at Bunnings - so easy to get.

That is such an awesome product!!!! We don't have it here - asked around and no one knows of it yet :rolleyes:

I am taking my mirrors etc seeing as I will be able to hang them anyway - thank you so much for this! :ilikeit:

Archived