IOM Tickets

Michelle

I purchased my ticket through IOM and just assumed everything would be in order and I would have my 40kg baggage allowance. However when I weighed in my luggage I was told that I only had a 20kg allowance and I then only saw that 20K was printed on the ticket. I had to go to reservations to sort it out and luckily the guy was feeling generous and changed my ticket for me. It was a saturday and I could not call IOM to sort out the mess. So take my advice and make sure that the correct baggage allowance is printed on the ticket when you collect it to prevent any further stress when you least need it.

Hi Michelle

You seem to have had a nightmare time with your move - it seems as if anything that could possibly go wrong did :ph34r:

Just a few questions: Who was your contact at IOM and how much was your ticket? How far in advance did you make your booking?

I trust that you've used up all your bad luck, just think B) things can only get better :whome:

Cindylou

Cindylou,

I made the booking through Deeksha Boola and paid R 4500. I made the reservation about 3 months in advance and had to make payment to secure the booking 6 weeks before I left.

I can honestly say since I went through customs only good things have been happening. Even found my husbands watch I gave him for his 30th Birthday this morninh, he thought it was lost in the move!!

That's so cool - good things to balance out the bad! Hubby must be really chuffed to have you there! Where are you guys staying (I assume you're renting at the moment)?

We are renting a place in Innaloo, Perth. All our stuff has arrived and hubby moved in so I am just busy rearranging. We will be looking to purchase a property in a year or but for now we like the fact that we can lock up and leave any time.

Ek hoop nie ons het hierdie probleem nie. Nou weet ek darem mens kan eers 6 weke vlieg na jy betaal het. Dit help darem nou sodat ons 'n idee het van wanneer ons kan vlieg. Wag nou net vir passpoorte dan kan ons kaartjies bespreek met Deeksha.

When did you apply for your passports?

We have our passports already, just sent it off to Pretoria for evidencing. Sent it yesterda, must arrive there this morning.

Should be sorted by the weekend - when are you planning on leaving?

Well it seems it would be the week after easter weekend. Seeing as we need to pay 6 weeks before flights.

Bet you've got loads to do in that time - you'll be so hectic I bet the six weeks will feel like 3!

• 1 month later...

Hi

How do we know when to book if the visa is not approved yet. :rolleyes: Vossie will have to go as soon as his visa is approved and the kids and I will follow when the house is sold etc

Thanks

Elmare

Jy kan eers book deur IOM as die visa in julle passpoorte is. So hang maar vir eers aan 'n tak. Dit vat omtrent 'n week vir die visa om in julle passpoorte te kry, want jy stuur die passpoorte Pretoria toe.

En onthou, as jy met IOM deal dat jy alles op skrif kry en drie keer seker maak oor julle vlugte en dat wat met ons gebeur het nie met julle gebeur nie.

Ons het nie baie tyd gehad vandat ons visas goedgekeur is, totdat ons moes vlieg nie, om die waarheid te sê, net 4 weke! Ons het die visa confirmation wat ons van DIMA gekry het per epos, vir Deeksha deurgestuur, en sy het ons bespreking gemaak.

Ons het net toe die visas in die paspoort was, vir haar "scans" deurgestuur, en betaal vir die kaartjies. Ons het dit ontvang so twee weke voor ons gevlieg het. Ons is seker van die min mense wat glad nie probleme met IOM gehad het nie. Behalwe vir die feit dat hulle ons R18 000 gespaar het, was Deeksha vriendelik en vinnig.

Maar maak in elk geval seker van alles. Ons het eers met die visa aansoeke agtergekom my dogter se van is verkeerd gespel in die bevolkingsregister, en ons sukkel nou nog om dit reg te maak!

Sterkte vir julle wat besig is met die proses, die uiteinde is defnitief die moeite werd.

Groetnis,

Dreamy

• 3 weeks later...

Enige persoon met raad. Ek ken nie die hele proses so goed nie. Ek lees nou dat mens jou paspoort Pretoria toe stuur nadat jy die visa ontvang het. Dit mag dalk nou baie dom klink, maar hoekom?

Hoe lank dan voordat mens jou paspoort terukry?

Hi Mickey,

'scuse the English reply - you need to send your passport to PTA to get the visa label inserted (once your visa is approved). If you go in person you should get it straight away, but if you are not in PTA - such as Dedrei from Cape Town - you'll need to courier the passports to the embassy.

Hope this helps

Cindylou

Jip, soos sy sê. Nie alle ouens lewer af by die ambasade nie en dit kos omtrent R600 vir dit. Wel dis wat dit gekos het vir on s'n vd kaap af.