cost of bringing pets?

monsta

The company that I have been dealing with in SA has an office and a pet lounge very close to the airport. The animal is dropped off with them, they check thatballnthe paper work and the crate is all in order and then they take the animal to the correct check in area at the airport and complete the check In procedure. So you last see your animal at their offices. The company will tell you when the animal must be there, obviously depending on what flight the animal is booked on, etc.

On arrival in OZ, some one from the quarantine facility will collect your animal and take it to the quarantine facility, when they get there all the paper work is processed and the animal is checked out by a vet and settled into their new home. As far as I know, they do not allow any visiting that first day, as they have a lot to do. They do not receive one animal a day, they will have a few animals to process.

I do not know what the visiting hours and rules are for the rest of the stay in quarantine. Are you moving to Sydney? This is the only place for quarantine for animals from SA at the moment, as there are no direct flights to Melbourne.

Have you spoken to any of the pet travel companies in SA? They often send out quite a lot of info with their quotes.

Acmac, I would suggest that you make use of an IPATA registered pet transport company. I have been told that airlines are only prepared to transport pets through an agent and will not deal directly with pet owners as we simply do not know all the procedures that need to be followed. Our transport company is taking our boys in their crates to the airport at the required time, taking them for walks etc before the flight and making sure they are loaded safely. They handle everything. Ipata has a website where you can search for a pet transport company in your area. Hope this helps!

• 5 months later...

It Depends on their size and weight and where you will be moving to in Oz. To give you an idea, I priced it in the 2nd half of last year....to bring my Weimeraner (weighed about 32kg and had a very large crate ) from CT to Sydney (for quarantine) to Perth was about R 60K. That included import permit, inoculations, flights, quarantine.

I cannot comment on how my dog handled it and how good the company was, because sadly, my dog passed away 2 months before we left SA.

But just wanted to give you an idea of the cost.

You cant check your own pets in by yourself. The airlines would not allow it. I called when we made decision to bring ours and that was the reply. You need to work through an authorised agency.

You can decide how much the agency will do for you and how much you want to do.

We brought over a little yorkie of 3kg. She stayed with my parents for three months for us to settle and came over. It was like she saw us a week later. Was super duper excited and is sooooo settled here in Aus. She even got more confidence as she always used to be affraid of larger dogs, but since 99% of dogs here are friendly (companions instead of watcg dogs) she started to notice this and will now go up to any dog at the beach just wanting to say hi and play.

Price was around R40k including all vet visits etc

Thanks Renny, I went yesterday to my vet to get costing on the vet's fees and blood tests. WE also then got a quote from Karinga, they want them for 30 days, don't know if this is necessary, that is R68000 for 5 animals and includes the boarding for 30 days and the flights. Then we still have to pay the $1800 when we get there per pet for quarantine. We have a very big decision to make on whether we only bring the 2 dogs, and if we bring the cats which do we bring. WE are concerned about the ages and health of our cats. It's very difficult but we do know the 2 Spansies will be going with, they are only 2 years old and are like our children.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Renny, I went yesterday to my vet to get costing on the vet's fees and blood tests. WE also then got a quote from Karinga, they want them for 30 days, don't know if this is necessary, that is R68000 for 5 animals and includes the boarding for 30 days and the flights. Then we still have to pay the $1800 when we get there per pet for quarantine. We have a very big decision to make on whether we only bring the 2 dogs, and if we bring the cats which do we bring. WE are concerned about the ages and health of our cats. It's very difficult but we do know the 2 Spansies will be going with, they are only 2 years old and are like our children.

Hi EDurand

I also got the 30 day quote from Karinga - I am currently debating whether we should accept this option.

Who else have you gotten quotes from? I am struggling to get quotes from anyone other than Karinga and Global Paws despite having sent hundreds of emails.

Regarding the cost of the vaccines and tests, i cannot remember how much the vaccine was but I paid R1580 for each pet to have their blood drawn and tested.

Pleasantly surprised, I have since spoken to Karinga and they do not need to be there for 30 days we got a quote on the 14 day option and the new price is: R47032, this is for 2 dogs 10 and 15kg and 3 cats. it includes flights to Sydney and all their final checks and signatures that are required. You are looking at another $1800 per animal fr the quarantine for 10 days.

Pleasantly surprised, I have since spoken to Karinga and they do not need to be there for 30 days we got a quote on the 14 day option and the new price is: R47032, this is for 2 dogs 10 and 15kg and 3 cats. it includes flights to Sydney and all their final checks and signatures that are required. You are looking at another $1800 per animal fr the quarantine for 10 days.

Have you decided to go with Keringa? May I ask, who else did you consider in making your decision.

I haven't heard anything bad about Keringa but I want to use the best :) it's traumatic enough as it is.

We have decided to go with Keringa, everyone of the vets we have asked about moving our dogs has suggested them, I have not gotten quotes from others though. Keringa is really close to the airport so I think it is handy for us to drop them on the way to the airport. We want to get settled for them there before they arrive.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but just wondering if there are any options for people from Cape Town? Recommendations?

Kirsty We live in Durban and we are taking ours to Karinga on our way to the airport, that gives us 25 days to get things ready for them on that side. Karinga will also give you a quote to fly them from Cape Town to them.

• 2 weeks later...

It Depends on their size and weight and where you will be moving to in Oz. To give you an idea, I priced it in the 2nd half of last year....to bring my Weimeraner (weighed about 32kg and had a very large crate ) from CT to Sydney (for quarantine) to Perth was about R 60K. That included import permit, inoculations, flights, quarantine.

I cannot comment on how my dog handled it and how good the company was, because sadly, my dog passed away 2 months before we left SA.

But just wanted to give you an idea of the cost.

Did the dog pass away during the process af quarantine, or before you started with the process?

She passed away in Cape Town before we left for Perth. She had her rabies shot and rabies test and I had just received her import permit. She was not in quarantine. She was 9 and the cancer she had when she was 3 came back. We had to put her to sleep :(