Proof of employment

stevie_za

Hallo everybody

My wife and I decided to make the big move to Australia! We lived in the UK for about five years and when we came back it was impossible to adjust back to the SA lifestyle.

I have been working as a Carpenter since 2000 but never went to a college, so I do not have a carpentry diploma. Apparently if I can prove that I have been doing this for five years or longer the aussies would accept that as in-job training, NOW this is where my problem lies, I can get a letter from my previous employer but I do not have any payslips as I was contracting for him on a full time basis. I also do not have proof of tax returns etc, not because I did not pay any, but because I was very foolish and threw away all my paper work when we moved back to SA. ( we have been back for a year and I have been working for myself, so I can prove this part at least)

Both me and my wife also have degrees from the University of pretoria (can that help?)

Any suggestions of what I can or should do?

Thank You

Stephen

Edited by stevie_za

Hi Stephen

They don't want to see payslips,they want what they call "a letter of duties and service"get your formal empoyer to write a letter stating you full names,the time you worked for him and all you duties,if you worked with hand tools write it down ,they want to see exactly if the carpentry work you did correspond with what carpenters do here.use this as a idea:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKILL LEVEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSOCIATED OCCUPATIONS

order and select timbers and materials, and prepare layouts

cut materials, and assemble or nail, cut and shape parts

erect frameworks and roof framing, lay sub-flooring and floorboards and verify trueness of structures

nail fascia panels, sheath roofs and fit exterior wall cladding, door and window frames

cut wood joints using wood cutting machines or hand and power tools

I found this on: www.jobsearch.gov.au ,search for carpentry jobs,and on the right of the screen you will see they say job outlook click there.

good luck,christelle

Edited by christelle

I quote from the DIMA's website regarding Skilled Independant (136) visa:

(http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/136/eligibility-work-experience.htm)

This is the section that deals with the recent work experience.

"a payslip from your current employment should also be included – this is especially important for applicants working in government departments.

Other documents which may assist you in evidencing your work experience claims could include, but are not limited to:

contracts

pay slips

tax returns

group certificates " (SA equivalent is an IRP5)

One of this forum's members have just recently been asked to submit more substantial proof than reference letters from one of his previous employers.

Many of these items seem to be at your case officer's discretion. I have read on this forum of members where the spouse of the principal applicant have not been requested IELTS (English test) results although the DIMA website states clearly (follow the link to English on this page: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...ity-family.htm) that adult members on the visa all need to prove their English abilities. Also, I have read of a principal member not achieving exactly the required pass mark and yet the visa was granted. Sometimes they require more info than stated and sometimes less.

Personally I believe you should send as much information as possible. ( I would not go as far as tax returns myself :-)

Edited by Mara

Hi ,the best is phone them if you are feeling confused they are very friendly

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Cate...nitiatives/TRA/

do what you feel is best,something that work for one person may not work for the next,I don't know of anyone who handed in payslips.

NEW: 2007 TRA Telephone Enquiry Hours

For people intending to migrate to Australia

International Telephone Enquiry Line number +61 2 6121 7456 - 9am to 4pm, Mondays to Fridays (Australian Eastern Standard Time), excluding public holidays.

For people intending to apply for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC)

ARTC Telephone Enquiry Line number 1300 360 992 - 9am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4pm on Fridays (Australian Eastern Standard Time), excluding public holidays.