any recommended driving schools in Adelaide?

dale

Hello,

I did my learners today and now need to do the driving test within a month. Any recommendations on driving schools? I have phoned a few, but most of them don't do manual and I prefer small cars!!!

Thanks

Dalene

Hi Dalene,

I can recommend a driving instructor.

His name is Brian and he runs his own driving school. He's a migrant (but not South African!). My own son and daughter did some lessons with him and he charged $55 per hour. I think that the car was an auto though but the weird thing about South Australia is that a pass out on an auto gives you a licence to drive a manual!

I had some guests stay with me (a couple of South African friends now) who stay in Seaford and they had a few lessons with him. Their driving is shocking and they now have Oz licences!

If you are interested you can give him a call.

His number is 0403165197

Tamara :lol:

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for the info! I phoned, but unfortunately they don't do manual (I have never driven an automatic) but thanks anyway!!!

Take care

Dalene

Hmm, not so sure if you could drive manual if you do an auto test. When we went for our licences we had to specifically make bookings for manual tests. There are also restrictions when you drive to other states which won't allow you to drive in their state if you only have an auto license. Best check out all those regulations first.. Contact service sa or check out their website: http://www.sa.gov.au

Hi

So how does it work when I land and want to get a car ? Can I use my RSA drivers licence for a while and then do a AUS licence test ?

Was thinking when I land to hire a car for a week or so and then buy a small run around until we find our feet. Was thinking to use the RSA licence for a month or so ?

hi boertjie

It is a bit confusing you can use international drivers licence when hiring a car but you need to get your australian drivers within 3 months of arriving.

I bought a second hand car with my international drivers.

You have to do your learners then you get a form which is called section 80 then you have to go for a driving test. When you pass this you get your full aussie licence

Hi, I used Alvin, he also runs his own driving school. I think he charged 55 or 60 per hour. I took classes with his car and did teh test with his car. It is an auto. but no one asked me if I did my test with auto or not. My license does not say I am only allowed to drive auto cars.

Driving an auto is easy, if you can drive a manual there is no difference.

Give Alvin a call and ask him otherwise, his number is 0437655001.

hi there, do u book for the learners or just go there? how long is it and is it hard?

someone mentioned u can do a drivers test or something about your instructor assessing u as you drive in lessons so to speak

It really is best to be trained in the vehicle that you're going to end up driving in your test.

It's going to be really confusing if you train in an auto, then switch to driving a manual car in your test.

You've got enough to concentrate on as it is without worrying about what gear you should be in and using your clutch, etc.

That sort of thing shouldn't be a problem if you stick to the car you're doing your test in.

hi there, do u book for the learners or just go there? how long is it and is it hard?

someone mentioned u can do a drivers test or something about your instructor assessing u as you drive in lessons so to speak

Hi there you don't have to book you just go to a service sa centre for your learners. It is multiple choice the 1st 8 questions you have to get right and then there are 42 more. There are examples on the raa website and there is a book you can buy too.

Hi

So how does it work when I land and want to get a car ? Can I use my RSA drivers licence for a while and then do a AUS licence test ?

Was thinking when I land to hire a car for a week or so and then buy a small run around until we find our feet. Was thinking to use the RSA licence for a month or so ?

Hi Boertjie.

Your South African drivers licence is valid until it's expiry date in South Australia. Then at that time you have to get a new South Australian licence. Will probably be the same in most states.

What we have done is we also got international drivers licences from the AA in South Africa and I use the two licences in combination (ie. I show both the ZA and the INT ones)

It only takes about 30 minutes. You can either get a one year one or a 3 year one for a R100 (that is only $14) more.

We each took the 3 year licences, because it is sufficient for you to buy a car on and to drive legally.

The funny thing is that the international drivers licence is also accepted towards the 100point identification test system here.

The only thing is that the South Australian licences are credit card style licences and are much easier to carry than the big international ones. So I guess the sooner you change over, the better.

I just phoned and booked with Alvin.

Thanks Andrea, he seems quite clued up about the whole system.

How many of these sessions did you have to go through, or is that like asking your age?

Hi quinswan

It is not asking my age. After driving fro 20 years, He made me go through many sessions. He will not recommend sitting for the test if you are not ready. I did not have a car at the time so I was not driving for 3 or 4 months, and so I did quite a bit of lessons. Besides I had used someone else before and failed the test so my self esteem was a bit low.

But he will suggest one session for each maneuver, unless you can prove him that you can do them straight away.

Good luck, send him my regards.

Andrea

Thanks.

Do you need to do any test for the INT one at AA? How does the procedure work ? You pay them and you get it or how ?

The wealth of info contained in this forum community is astonishing !

Hi Boertjie.

Your South African drivers licence is valid until it's expiry date in South Australia. Then at that time you have to get a new South Australian licence. Will probably be the same in most states.

What we have done is we also got international drivers licences from the AA in South Africa and I use the two licences in combination (ie. I show both the ZA and the INT ones)

It only takes about 30 minutes. You can either get a one year one or a 3 year one for a R100 (that is only $14) more.

We each took the 3 year licences, because it is sufficient for you to buy a car on and to drive legally.

The funny thing is that the international drivers licence is also accepted towards the 100point identification test system here.

The only thing is that the South Australian licences are credit card style licences and are much easier to carry than the big international ones. So I guess the sooner you change over, the better.

Hi Dalene,

I had never driven an auto until a few months ago. I passed my South African test nearly 20 years ago. (Passed it...not bought it!) Everyone ripped me off when I said that I couldn't drive an auto!

My daughter is the exact opposite. She was an issue driving a manual...but when she passes out on an auto car her licence will allow her to drive a manual! weird or what. Her licence will not be restricted in South Australia or any other state. Maybe you should just do the test in an auto? After all my hesitation...it is easier to drive and the licence will be a class c with nothing to record that you did the test in an auto. I think that's why the driving instructors have mainly auto cars here?

Tamara

The South African drivers licences are another issue!

My son in law lives here (he's from Cape Town as well). He has been driving here on his South African licence for 3 years but....

In the beginning he was here on a tourist visa.....everything was fine for him to drive on his South African licence.....but

he wanted to stay and applied for a spousal visa. It was also fine for him to keep driving on his South African licence....but

when his visa was granted he was required to get a local licence. It's all about residency and the type of visa. Having said that, he drives like a typical Capetonian (not as bad as a Vallie!) and he's collected lots of speeding fines. He's paid them by using his South African licence and hasn't accumulated any points!................................but

They have just picked up that he's permanent here and a friendly visit from the local police has persuaded him that he has to do the test! He failed the test 2 weeks ago....due to....speeding!!!!

Anyway, bottom line. If you have a residency visa you are supposed to get a local licence within 3 months.

Tamara :rolleyes:

As Tamara says,

Temporary Visa = Requires SA license - no international drivers license required (at least not in Victoria, check VicRoads) ... just show License and Passport with Visa (keep a photocopy in the car)

Permanent Visa = You MUST have a state license. You get varying lengths (3 or 6 months, depending on state) in which you may use your SA license - the start of this period also differs by state, most come into affect the day you first step foot in Australia after getting your Visa, one state starts when you first settle in that state. After that period is up, even if you were in Oz for 1 day, 1 year ago, your time is up. You may not drive.

Don't be so naive as to think you can get away with just driving on your SA license indefinitely if you have PR. You may fool one or two cops, but if they catch you, you're in trouble.

Don't be a smart-ass South African and try con the system here like you might have done in RSA. Do the bloody right thing. It's one of the reasons I love Australia, the majority of people here are honest and do the right thing.

-G

I passed out on an auto and there's no restrictions on my licence. A full South AUSTRALIAN CODE C.

how long is the learner's test to write? i did a practice one online and passed but it seemed short lol

thanks

i must admit i am still totally confused about the way it works and the different licenses with the recent posts about state and international and and and....

how much does Alvin charge? Money is not freely available of course, so this is quite important as well

I passed out on an auto and there's no restrictions on my licence. A full South AUSTRALIAN CODE C.

well done!

Archived