USB modem from RSA

gvr

Can anyone tell me if my RSA Vodaphone USM modem will work with an Australian (say Telstra) prepaid sim card to connect to the web while in Oz?

I doubt it.

A USB modem which you plug into the side of your laptop are set to a particular frequency.

A Vodafone modem in South Africa won't pick any other network up because it's pre-set on Vodafone's frequency.

Same in Australia.

We have a dozen different networks, all with their own frequency, and I doubt that a South African Vodafone modem will be tuned to Telstra's frequency . . . . . 1 in 100 chance.

I'd leave it at home, as Telstra sell their SIM card for internet only with a modem. It's a package deal.

http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet...adband/bigpond/

I bought a Voda USB stick in the UK in May this year.

Voda in Aus didn't think it would work and didn't have a spare card in the shop to try it.

Telstra will not work in a Voda stick. I'm 98% sure of that.

But think of it this way. What is your risk if you bring it? It doesn't take up much space. Go to a voda shop, ask them to test to see if it works using their demo machine. Unfortunately I think voda will only sell the initial card, with a stick (stick is what USB modems are often, but not exclusively, called in Aus).

The sticks are quite cheap, even with prepaid. Don't quote me but I think Voda are selling them for $59, with 1G of allowance on them. But like I said what's the risk if you bring your RSA one with you. So maybe it doesn't work, or it's more economic to buy a new one, but you wont even notice it in your hand luggage.

If you are traveling to more remote areas of Aus, Telstra does have superior coverage.

Company policy requires I declare that I am an employee of Telstra. These views are my own, and not necessarily those of Telstra.

If they wish to they can run software that makes your "stick" work - MTN did that for me with my Optus one. But really not much point prices have come down hugely and are quite reasonable - I got a leaflet from the post office which advertises a few options available through them - you can get a GRL prepaid $39 comes with 1gig of data, Crazy John $49 - 3 Gig data loaded, Virgin $59 (4 Gig Data loaded), Optus $69 (2 Gig data), Telstra $79 (doesnt say if it comes with loaded data) so for under $100 you can set yourself up.

Many of the cities have free WiFi hot spots so if you use your prepaid only when needed and use the free WiFi when available you should be fine. If you are job hunting then it would probably be quite convenient to sit in the library or at Maccas for a couple of hours dash off a few applications and then go off to take care of other stuff.

If I am not mistaken, in south africa they did away with network locked devices.

When I arrived, I was surprised to see my older generation blackberry working fine on a Vodafone simcard.

So maybe it will work.

IN Aus though some of the USB Sticks are locked and some not. Well according to the guy at Harvey Norman anyway

I doubt it.

Nope, it should work.

A USB modem which you plug into the side of your laptop are set to a particular frequency.

Incorrect. Typically the dongle will support 2100 Mhz for UMTS (the common type of 3G).

A Vodafone modem in South Africa won't pick any other network up because it's pre-set on Vodafone's frequency.

Again, incorrect. I have had a single modem pick up Zain Nigeria, MTN South Africa, Vodacom South Africa and Vodafone Netherlands. Most UMTS networks operate on the 2100 Mhz frequency band. There are a few exceptions, like USA and Japan (what a shock)

Bob, what quinswan does need to ensure is that the network is not CDMA but UMTS. There are two distinct 3G standards. In South Africa Neotel is CDMA but Vodacom & MTN are UMTS (aka HSDPA).

Also remember, that GSM (which is used for voice calls) is a completely separate technology. Just because you can call out on your cell doesn't automatically mean your 3G dongle will work.

Cheers

Paul

Nope, it should work.

Incorrect. Typically the dongle will support 2100 Mhz for UMTS (the common type of 3G).

Again, incorrect. I have had a single modem pick up Zain Nigeria, MTN South Africa, Vodacom South Africa and Vodafone Netherlands. Most UMTS networks operate on the 2100 Mhz frequency band. There are a few exceptions, like USA and Japan (what a shock)

Bob, what quinswan does need to ensure is that the network is not CDMA but UMTS. There are two distinct 3G standards. In South Africa Neotel is CDMA but Vodacom & MTN are UMTS (aka HSDPA).

Also remember, that GSM (which is used for voice calls) is a completely separate technology. Just because you can call out on your cell doesn't automatically mean your 3G dongle will work.

Cheers

Paul

See thats why we need people like you. There is no way in hell I would have been ever able to know any of that stuff.

BUT, I can see you are not a lawyer (we read every word). You missed that I did not have the problem with the USB stick, it was gerhard, in fact I have 4 aussie USB sticks because Vodafone was so "deurmekaar" because I am such a confusing client to have, that they accidentally sent me 2 spare USB sticks and 2 xtra useless Nokia phones. (I assume no one else wanted those 2 phones). So now I use the extra USB sticks to roll out my neckspasms (they are nice and rounded so very good for massage tools.

Hi

Your USB should work fine as long as it is unlocked.I used my one from 3 australia (unlocked) in SA on Vodacom.there are some minor settings that need changed but was easy enough.

ian

Hi

Your USB should work fine as long as it is unlocked.I used my one from 3 australia (unlocked) in SA on Vodacom.there are some minor settings that need changed but was easy enough.

ian

Thanks Ian

Do you maybe recall what these "minor settings" were? I'm really stupid with these kind of things...

Thanks Ian

Do you maybe recall what these "minor settings" were? I'm really stupid with these kind of things...

It depends on what network you choose, if it will work or not.

Telstra Next G works on 850MHz and Telstra is the only provider in AU to work on that frequency.

So your Voda device will not function properly with a Telstra sim.

It may work with a vodaphone sim or other providers (not Telstra) sim.

So . . . let me get this straight.

What you're saying is that dongles are like mobile phones, that is, if they are not "locked" onto a particular network, they ought to work across the board, assuming you are using the same bandwidth that all Australian & New Zealand networks operate on.

I have a Telstra BigPond dongle which has kept me going online now, since I got back from England in November last year and all I need do is to make sure it's "unlocked" off the Telstra network and I can take it to Europe with me next time I go?

If so, it ought to work on the U.K. & other European networks?

So . . . let me get this straight.

What you're saying is that dongles are like mobile phones, that is, if they are not "locked" onto a particular network, they ought to work across the board, assuming you are using the same bandwidth that all Australian & New Zealand networks operate on.

I have a Telstra BigPond dongle which has kept me going online now, since I got back from England in November last year and all I need do is to make sure it's "unlocked" off the Telstra network and I can take it to Europe with me next time I go?

If so, it ought to work on the U.K. & other European networks?

Pretty much Bob, provided that the European provider is on 850MHz which is what Telstra uses and that you can setup all the network settings.

Archived