Passport

Chantelle D

Hi all just a question regarding childrens passport photo's..when they get older what do you do? my sons passport still have a baby picture in it and he is 4 now?

We are traveling in December and not sure what to do get a new one(photo there is a space for it in the passport) and then who must stamp it?

Edited by Chantelle D

Years ago they used to add the updated photo to the passport. Home Affairs would have to stamp it as an amendment, or perhaps the South African Embassy if in Australia.

We were in the exact same situation. Photo from 1 yr old, child is 4 yrs old. Did all our research and the answer we discovered was that the passport is valid for 5 years with that old photo. We were really worried but in the end it was all fine.

Australian passport control really looked at the child and the photo for a long time. I think they are trained to recognise facial features etc etc. No problem.

South African passport control couldnt care less and didnt even look at our child.

Thanks Jordy

Thanks Denise I know about that thats why I thought I had to do something like that but if we dont need to its a bonus :(

Edited by Chantelle D

You got your answers - no need to go anything ! My daughter was NINE DAYS old!!! What kid looks like they did at nine days old when they are five ? We had a good laugh at the time !

You got your answers - no need to go anything ! My daughter was NINE DAYS old!!! What kid looks like they did at nine days old when they are five ? We had a good laugh at the time !

Ours was in the first week - I think she was asleep when I took the photo. I sized it on the PC and had 8 printed on a normal photo size print. Cut a few out and off they went. She had her passport before she was 1 month old. :blink:

-G

• 1 year later...

My son just turned 18. His passport photo was taken at 10. He does not look at all the same as then. Longer hair and much more man.

Now we are going back end of November. Will his passport suffice if he needs access to clubs and pubs?

What can we do as the High Commission do not want to print new passport just to change the photo?

Can he use his ID book for South Africa?? My son just got his first ID book now because he turned 16.

Does he have a learners license or something with photo and DOB? Otherwise why doesn't he just apply for a proof of age card and keep it alongside his passport