Perth lifestyle

dufc1968

Hi all, our family [2 adults & 2 young kids] are in the initial process of applying for visas and are currently considering all States, but for now have an initial preference for Perth. Reading thru the forum a lot of people have indicated that Perth is very similar to Cape Town. However Cape Town has so many different suburbs, with the dry Blaawberg/Milnerton area compared to the leafy Constantia/Tokai area etc etc. How would one contextualise Perth, if this is possible?? Also how does Southern Western Australia & Freemantle compare to Perth?

A huge thanks to all those who contribute on this forum. Your honest opinions and thoughts help us all in trying to make the right decisions for our family!!

Thank you

Once you move south of Mandurah (75kms south of Perth) all the way down the coast to Margaret River, the difference to Perth is quite notable. Some points of difference:

1. We are regional.

2. Classified as country

3. Lots of farms - wheat, milk, wineries etc

4. Towns are small. Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton are largest with about 60000 people. All others vary between 1000-15000.

5. No traffic

6. No smog / polution

7. Only have ADSL 1 internet with speeds up to 8mbps. Perth would have 20Mbps

8. Quieter / more relaxed / peaceful

9. Beaches deserted.

10. Far to get to Perth airport to fetch family.

The best part for me of South Western, Western Australia is the country folk. Those who have been on their farms for 3 plus generations. They are the nicest people you will ever meet. If I had to describe my favourite part of our Australian experience - it would be getting to meet and know the country people of WA as part of my work. The saddest part at the moment is that we are going throught he worst drought ever this year and most crops have failed. Majority of farmers have turned their crops over to cattle to feed as they are not able to harvest this year due to lack of rain.

Coming from a busy city life in West Rand Johannesburg, to be part of these people is lifechanging.

Living in Rockingham, 400m from Warnbro station, excellent. Only 40min to Perth CBD by train. Quite, relaxed, close to good beaches, good shops, just perfect. Happy all together. Would I move, no :ilikeit::lol::ilikeit::lol: not at all!!!

We just came back from a 3 week visit to Perth. I cannot understand how people compare it to Cape Town. I live in Cape Town Northern Suburbs and for me it is nothing like Cape Town.

But we still enjoyed our stay. Wonderful public transport, lots of parks where kids can play, many good beached (water is a lot warmer than Cape Town in my opinion) etc.

It is perhaps more like Bloemfontein. It is a dryish city....

Thanks for good question and answers. It really helps this as when you look on google you have no idea where to start.

Thanks guys for all your responses! I also found a website called aussiemove.com which gives a nice indication of Suburbs in and around Perth. :P

I am also not quite sure as to why Perth is compared to CT, maybe its the lifestyle but from what i have seen it does appear to be very dry more and not a very leafy town, unless I am just viewing selective suburbs :P

We just came back from a 3 week visit to Perth. I cannot understand how people compare it to Cape Town. I live in Cape Town Northern Suburbs and for me it is nothing like Cape Town.

But we still enjoyed our stay. Wonderful public transport, lots of parks where kids can play, many good beached (water is a lot warmer than Cape Town in my opinion) etc.

It is perhaps more like Bloemfontein. It is a dryish city....

Coming from Windhoek, I adjusted very well in Perth, apart from the fact that I found it too big and busy! My wife is from Cape Town and we lived in Windhoek for 13 years, and we both agree that Perth is a good mix of Cape Town and Windhoek. It's definitely not "Cape Town down Under", but I think most Capetonians adjust easily.

I remember Schalk Burger calling it "Bloemfontein-by-the-sea", which is probably not too far-fetched.

The flatness is the biggest drawback - no mountains apart from the so-call "Hills", which is not much of a hill by most standards...

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think Perth can be compared to any other city in the world its just ..... Perth , very unique and one of a kind - very beautiful and scenic in places and dry and flat in others, it really is a mixture of all things.

Perth/WA is a very unique "country" in its own right...and loving it!

Archived