What makes South Australia a wonderful place to live in?

K-Vdm

Hi all,

We are busy with our application for State Sponsorship to South Australia and one of the questions on the application is "why you chose SA"

I want to know - what makes SA such a wonderful place to live in for you? What is it about SA that keeps you there and makes you happy?

Making a decision on where to stay is extremely difficult based on internet research..

Please share your thoughts with me?

Thanks!

edited to add the SOUTH AUSTRALIA bit :ilikeit:

caught me with that one. SA= South Africa vs Southern Australia. Perhaps you should change your subject line as the conversation could go in 2 completely different directions :ilikeit:

caught me with that one. SA= South Africa vs Southern Australia. Perhaps you should change your subject line as the conversation could go in 2 completely different directions :ilikeit:

HA HA May I agree with you! I remember when I first arrived how I was amazed how many products came from SA, it took me about two weeks to realise that when Aussies refer to SA they are NOT referring to South Africa.

hehe, yup, got me too ! I was just about to jump in with my emotions and give RSA a piece of my mind ! What I do know about SA - weather much like Cape Town, as they are on the same meridian. Wine country, hill country, small city, only known natural disasters (that I know of), are bushfires and drought. lots of fresh produce. You can live outside the city and be in the CBD in 40 mins.

I see you're from Boksburg, so the winter rainfall may be something to get used to - and the little to no rain in summer.

I'm not there yet, but that is what we've gathered through internet touring.

Sorry folks - thought that everyone would assume I'm referring to South Australia seeing as I posted in Communities - Adelaide SA...

But yes I am asking about Aus - definitely not RSA (can't find many positives to say about RSA at the mo).. :ilikeit:

Karina,

You caught me too, I couldn't figure why you were asking such a weird question considering all you have been through to leave.

But now SA (South Australia) makes much more sense. :ilikeit:

Let us know how your app goes.

T

Having had to answer this myself for South Australia some time ago can give you some broad pointers - basically you need to find out what South Australia says about itself and relate it to your family. So for example if your family is an outdoorsy type of family then show you have researched opportunities for bushwalking, camping, sports etc. If you are more into cultural events then go on about the different festivals in South Australia (again show you have researched and apply to your particular family and situation). If you have kids talk about the schooling opportunities for your kids and the different schools you think would suit them and why. Property prices were supposed to be cheaper - not sure if this still is the case - but if so you could comment something about that. Maybe something about unemployment rates (only if they are currently good of course) It is not a comparison between South Australia and the other states but what in the whole ticks the boxes for you about South Australia.

General points usually are - small city so no long commute to work therefore more time to spend with family. Family oriented lifestyle (find examples to back what you say), a lot of people feel that being a small city it is a good place to raise kids, good weather (hot dry summer, no humidity) and then if you are in a specific field that is in high demand in South Australia you can mention that. Central Market for fresh produce and number of farmers markets around the city, good public transport so if you work in the city no need to travel to work by car, good libraries with internet facilities, the support for new migrants with on arrival accommodation and meet and greet services, Adelaide Hills with the wine and fruit farms.

It is very difficult to decide on a place via internet research and even then having done as much research as you can the reality for you may be completely different. So what one person may find suits them totally and is just the right place for them, those very things may be a complete mismatch for another person. Remember your decision is not set in stone that if you get this wrong there is no way out. If you dont like South Australia after you have been there two years and got your permanent residency you can always move.

Excellent schools

3 very good universities

Extraordinary food. If you are into the restaurant and coffee shop scene, you will find enormous pleasure here.

There is more Sushi here in one street than the whole of the RSA combined

I love the city itself, it is a blend of ultramodern glass buildings mixed with victorian era stone ones(that are very well looked after-unlike the RSA)

DID U NOTE (I use RSA for South Africa and SA for South Australia)

The wine here is very good and plentifull especially Coonawarra wines. The Eastern Suburbs that actually stretch in a half moon from the North/north east to the south east are very nice.

The australian "house parties" are lots of fun.

Rundle Mall and Rundle street is great for shopping. So is King William Rd, although a bit more expensive.

When you travel into the countryside, BArossa, Hanhndorf etc etc you see some of the most beautifull countryside.

The beeches are not that wow, especially when compared to other parts of Aus. Although I might be lone voice on that one.

The public transport system is great with modern busses and trams.

That should all help with your online application.

ps. remember the RSA / SA thing

Ha, ha, it is one to get used to! Hmmm, what's wonderful about SA...

MANY things. Having lived in London for a few years the slower pace of Adelaide is wonderful. It really is a great place to raise a family. We live close to the beach - child friendly beaches with no big waves (that may be an understatement...pond is more like it most times, which I love!) You can get across the city relatively easily - there are several wine regions in close proximity to the city, the Hills area is just beautiful and easy to get to. Beautiful fresh food and some wonderful local food at markets. Just yesterday we got down to the beach in the late afternoon - the sea looked gorgeous, there were families playing with kids - we took down our cooler with some snacks and had a super afternoon. The freedom is amazing.

I'm a little lacking in sleep this morning so I'm really not doing it any justice! We just love it here - a great place for families I think.

Good luck!

Annie

HA HA May I agree with you! I remember when I first arrived how I was amazed how many products came from SA, it took me about two weeks to realise that when Aussies refer to SA they are NOT referring to South Africa.

I had a chuckle at that one.

Cruising around the south of England last year, I went to a market with all its stalls. I found a t-shirt that fitted a big bloke like myself. The only trouble was it happened to be a leftover from the Rugby World Cup in 2007.

It was a South African Rugby jumper in green with a yellow collar, which is great if I ever want to get a boerewors in England, but I had to admit to being an Australian instead.

Anyhow, wearing the same t-shirt up in Queensland recently, I rocked up at the checkout and the Australian lady said: "oh, you're a member of the South Australian Rugby organisation?"

"Nah . . not quite! I just stick it on."

Anyhow . . . South AUSTRALIA has no road tolls.

Adelaide is small enough not to get lost and it's close enough to get to know a few people.

South Australia isn't one of the "go ahead" States and is a pretty relaxed place, as a result.

Housing is a bit cheaper than in other States.

South Australia is close enough to get to Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland & Northern Territory for holidays without losing a week each way driving across Australia to get there.

Good climate in summertime and winters are mild.

It is a dry State, though, and not as pretty as most of the other parts of Australia in all honesty.

If you like dry rugged countryside, then maybe South Aus will fill the picture, but a lot of folk prefer greener and lusher countryside, which I like, too.

Oh yes I finally caught BOB out.

You do get lost in Adelaide lots.

The best investment after your "gas barbie" is a top notch GPS. Not the useless little cheapie that I bought.

South Africans have it in their head that South Aussies drive slow. Not so I am afraid they accelerate (cos they all drive V8 holden cars, ie moerse groot karre) at one blistering pace to 6okm/h and then they coast at 60. dont ask me why, thats just the way it is.

Adelaide has hardly any real highways like in Sydney etc. so you have to learn how wheelspin ahead of the competition if you drive a corolla, just to make your turn off.

OR invest in a state of the art lane navigation system at only about $400 (that is 37 trillion zim dollars) and you can relax a bit more behind the wheel.

If you are "suinig" like me, and by a cheap GPS, with a beautifull british voice, but that suffers from dementia and insist on turning right where there is a river (yes just like the guy in the add) and only work sporadicaly like South African home afairs, get a V8 UTE instead.

Thats the other thing you have to say on your questionaire, " I cannot wait to buy a UTE" (They will probably give you gold citizenship if you say that)

A UTE for those guys still in the RSA, is the ugliest "bakkie" you have ever seen. it looks like those old elcamino's just more modern, they all have V8 engines or something and 60 feet long (cos you can never fit another car next to it in a parking lot - the whole picture then looks to obscene) and all aussies love them and consider them an icon.

But unlike Koalas, Pure Blonde and Aussie rules Footy it never ever grows on you.

The best investment after your "gas barbie" is a top notch GPS. Not the useless little cheapie that I bought.

South Africans have it in their head that South Aussies drive slow. Not so I am afraid they accelerate (cos they all drive V8 holden cars, ie moerse groot karre) at one blistering pace to 6okm/h and then they coast at 60. dont ask me why, thats just the way it is.

I was driving around Adelaide before the bloke who invented the GPS was still in nappies. . . . . so, I'll probably need a GPS only when dementia sets in . . . if I can remember where I'm going!!!

. . . and if you happen to drive a big old clunker like me, getting up to 60 km/h means still getting left behind every time at the lights (robots)

I was driving around Adelaide before the bloke who invented the GPS was still in nappies. . . . . so, I'll probably need a GPS only when dementia sets in . . . if I can remember where I'm going!!!

. . . and if you happen to drive a big old clunker like me, getting up to 60 km/h means still getting left behind every time at the lights (robots)

Dementia what is that again?

Excellent schools

3 very good universities

Extraordinary food. If you are into the restaurant and coffee shop scene, you will find enormous pleasure here.

There is more Sushi here in one street than the whole of the RSA combined

I love the city itself, it is a blend of ultramodern glass buildings mixed with victorian era stone ones(that are very well looked after-unlike the RSA)

DID U NOTE (I use RSA for South Africa and SA for South Australia)

The wine here is very good and plentifull especially Coonawarra wines. The Eastern Suburbs that actually stretch in a half moon from the North/north east to the south east are very nice.

The australian "house parties" are lots of fun.

Rundle Mall and Rundle street is great for shopping. So is King William Rd, although a bit more expensive.

When you travel into the countryside, BArossa, Hanhndorf etc etc you see some of the most beautifull countryside.

The beeches are not that wow, especially when compared to other parts of Aus. Although I might be lone voice on that one.

The public transport system is great with modern busses and trams.

That should all help with your online application.

ps. remember the RSA / SA thing

I note the RSA/SA thing thanks :P :P

Adelaide has hardly any real highways like in Sydney etc. so you have to learn how wheelspin ahead of the competition if you drive a corolla, just to make your turn off.

OR invest in a state of the art lane navigation system at only about $400 (that is 37 trillion zim dollars) and you can relax a bit more behind the wheel.

If you are "suinig" like me, and by a cheap GPS, with a beautifull british voice, but that suffers from dementia and insist on turning right where there is a river (yes just like the guy in the add) and only work sporadicaly like South African home afairs, get a V8 UTE instead.

Thats the other thing you have to say on your questionaire, " I cannot wait to buy a UTE" (They will probably give you gold citizenship if you say that)

A UTE for those guys still in the RSA, is the ugliest "bakkie" you have ever seen. it looks like those old elcamino's just more modern, they all have V8 engines or something and 60 feet long (cos you can never fit another car next to it in a parking lot - the whole picture then looks to obscene) and all aussies love them and consider them an icon.

But unlike Koalas, Pure Blonde and Aussie rules Footy it never ever grows on you.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!! :P

Thank you so much to each and everyone one who replied! Application is complete and we (our agent) will submit soon!

Now it's just about holding thumbs and hoping for the best!

Will keep you updated :P

Archived