Looking for Engineering/Operations Manager position

K&Reid

I am a Graduate Engineer who is in a Senior Management role in a Heavy Manufacturing company in SA. I have almost 20 years of solid work experience. I have tried Seek and several other websites, and have applied for several positions, but there is usually no response because we do not have PR. I can fit into an Engineering Manager, Operations Manager, General Manager or Manufacturing Manager role.

Can someone please help with references to organizations who are looking for someone with my background, and who can sponsor my family and I? We are keen on Brisbane and Perth.

We are very keen to move and are hoping that something comes up soon. We are not giving up.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I don't know how well you know Australia's visa system, but there are two categories, simply put.

Temporary and permanent.

The quick visa to get is a temporary work visa for Australia, often sponsored by a company which is in need of technical help it can't source locally in Australia.

The Australian government will do the very basic of checks on the person coming to Australia and issues these visa quickly as a matter of urgency in order to help out the company involved.

The are usually only valid for up to 4 years, after which you leave Australia.

You have no right to Medicare (Australia's free national health care system), you pay for your children's education at school or University, you have no right to unemployment benefit, old age pension when you retire in years to come, child allowance for any kids you may have, baby bonus ($5 000 / R 33 000 tax free gift from the Australian gov't to new parents), the First Home Owner's Grant ($7 000 / R 45 000 tax free gift on buying your first home in Australia), and so on.

You are just here to work for a certain period of time and then go.

If however, you want to live here for good, then maybe a permanent visa is the better way to go.

A permanent visa lets you and all your immediate family stay forever in Australia.

You have access to all the benefits that the average Aussie can get.

However, it takes a lot longer to check you out because once you get a permanent visa and come to Australia, we are stuck with you, so we need to know you are good "material" and will benefit Australia and its people over the years.

so . . . if you're desperate to just get out of South Africa with your tail between your legs, then by all means just get a company to sponsor you, but if you're ready to wait for up to a year for the permanent visa in your passport for yourself and family, then that may be the better option.

On a work front, there are lots of mining companies throughout Australia, often in need of professional technicians of all kinds to run mines and plant in remote locations.

Have you considered working in these conditions and for good pay?

I don't know how well you know Australia's visa system, but there are two categories, simply put.

Temporary and permanent.

The quick visa to get is a temporary work visa for Australia, often sponsored by a company which is in need of technical help it can't source locally in Australia.

The Australian government will do the very basic of checks on the person coming to Australia and issues these visa quickly as a matter of urgency in order to help out the company involved.

The are usually only valid for up to 4 years, after which you leave Australia.

You have no right to Medicare (Australia's free national health care system), you pay for your children's education at school or University, you have no right to unemployment benefit, old age pension when you retire in years to come, child allowance for any kids you may have, baby bonus ($5 000 / R 33 000 tax free gift from the Australian gov't to new parents), the First Home Owner's Grant ($7 000 / R 45 000 tax free gift on buying your first home in Australia), and so on.

You are just here to work for a certain period of time and then go.

If however, you want to live here for good, then maybe a permanent visa is the better way to go.

A permanent visa lets you and all your immediate family stay forever in Australia.

You have access to all the benefits that the average Aussie can get.

However, it takes a lot longer to check you out because once you get a permanent visa and come to Australia, we are stuck with you, so we need to know you are good "material" and will benefit Australia and its people over the years.

so . . . if you're desperate to just get out of South Africa with your tail between your legs, then by all means just get a company to sponsor you, but if you're ready to wait for up to a year for the permanent visa in your passport for yourself and family, then that may be the better option.

On a work front, there are lots of mining companies throughout Australia, often in need of professional technicians of all kinds to run mines and plant in remote locations.

Have you considered working in these conditions and for good pay?

Thanks for the response, Bob. I have studied the different options for immigration and we will have to seriously consider our next step. We have 115 points for the 175 visa. It seems like the processing times are between 18 and 24 months once you pass the points test.

• 3 weeks later...
I am a Graduate Engineer who is in a Senior Management role in a Heavy Manufacturing company in SA. I have almost 20 years of solid work experience. I have tried Seek and several other websites, and have applied for several positions, but there is usually no response because we do not have PR. I can fit into an Engineering Manager, Operations Manager, General Manager or Manufacturing Manager role.

Can someone please help with references to organizations who are looking for someone with my background, and who can sponsor my family and I? We are keen on Brisbane and Perth.

We are very keen to move and are hoping that something comes up soon. We are not giving up.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Hi There

I may know of someone please send me your details or e mail me

mandtpedersen@iinet.net.au

Regards Mike

Archived