Braces

Serendipity

Hi there

Quick Q: How much are we looking at to get braces for our daughter??

I know medicare wont cover the expense but now wondering if we gonna have to take out a loan to do it

or are they not that expensive.

Thanks

S

Our daughter's cost us $6500. They usually let you pay a deposit, and then you pay the rest off. We paid $1700 deposit, which they allowed us to pay over 2 months, and then it is $800 every 3 months after that until the rest if paid off.

We are very happy with Dr Varughese (pronounced Virgis, like Virgin but with an S) in Traralgon. Let me know if I must PM you his telephone number.

I know that some orthodontists charge even more :-(.

Yolande

Please believe, if it is dental, it will cost big bucks!

It is BIG bucks unfortunately. Our daughter's is costing us $8300 but also on a plan where we had to pay $2400 up front and the rest in quarterly installments. I must say I am amazed at how well her teeth have moved and what a difference it has made to the shape of her face just with her eye teeth being moved into the correct position!

We have a weekly payment set up and find that the best for us.

Does this price include everything. My friend told me here in South Africa it cost her about 30 000.00 with having to go back after for checks. I have been told my child is 7 that she will need, I think he said when she is twelve. That is so great that they let you pay off.

My daughter had braces in SA (R15 000), but her teeth moved and she had to have them again in Aus. As she was 17 she didnt want unsightly braces so opted for thr invisible ones (Invisilign - I think its called). They cost me around $5 000. This was 2 years ago.

SHEW looks like either way we are in for some serious debt early next year . . . just want to get over Christmas 1st.

@ NotLookingBack - i heard of a ortho in Traralgon, not sure if its the same doc you mentioned but please can you send me the details anyway.

We will go and make an appointment and take it from there.

My daughter has an "underbite" and its starting to grind her top two teeth, not sure yet on how they going to fix that one before putting on tracks :unsure:

Wishing now i hadn't bought a new car :blink:

I've mentioned before:

. . . . it's a smart move to have, at the very least, "Extras" cover with Private Health insurance.

Medicare is great if you have a heart attack or come down with a case of appendicitis. You can see your local doctor too and get a good refund back.

BUT . . . it doesn't cover everything.

With if you need a new pair of glasses?

What if you need a chiropractor once in a while for a bad back?

What if you need an ambulance?

What if you have teeth in your head? You'll need check ups once a year and/or fillings or braces or crowns, etc.

This is where you need "extras" cover.

The main "hospital" cover offered by private health funds isn't cheap and I can well understand why some struggling families may not be able to afford it, at least for a good while, especially when Medicare provides a "no frills" public hospital service which is free. If you're young enough and your family sound enough, it doesn't always make good financial sense to cough up for hospital health insurance.

. . . but our teeth and eyes and back , etc aren't covered.

It makes simple sense to check out the Extras package (without taking out the full "Hospital" insurance cover) offered by private health funds.

http://www.mbf.com.au/HealthInsurance/Heal...ons/Extrascover

http://www.medibank.com.au:80/Health-Cover...ras-Covers.aspx

That way, the Australian government still pays 30% of your health insurance premiums leaving you only to pay the remaining 70% of the premium, but you get about 60% to 80% of your dental care, glasses, chiro, physio, speech therapy, ambulance, etc., etc. paid for.

Families with kids especially will be looking at some big ticket items, such as braces, to have to pay for.

So . . . . either pay 70% of the premium for Extras cover with your private health fund OR pay 100% of the outrageous costs involved with you and your family every time you or they go to a dentist, optician, physio, chiro, etc.

At the end of the day, I've found you either pay a little bit each week / fortnight into extras cover or you wait for the big thousand dollar + bill to turn up some time in the future.

I know what the smart operators do.

Very true Bob.

Unfortunately with braces we have to wait 12 months before we can claim from medibank with our extras and then they only reimburse $400 in the first year, $450 in the second and $500 in the third up to a maximum amount (which I can't recall) so yes, it does help but does not come near to covering the cost!

You must also keep all your medical receipts for tax purposes - every dollar helps...

We paid $7200 plus $80 for the initial consultation plus $200 for a mould. That included everything - follow up visits, the works. We could pay a deposit of (If I remember correctly) just over $1000 and $500 pm until it was all paid. We paid it off earlier just because we wanted to get rid of that monthly commitment (don't like debt....) but just a tip: if you have a healthcare plan which pays for orthodontic expenses, (usually about $1500 benefit per calendar year) pay your amount in such a way that you can claim the maximum benefit. In other words, spread it out so you can claim the full $1500 per year. If you pay the full amount in 1 calendar year, you can still only claim the maximum benefit of (for example) $1500 but if you spread it over more then one calender year, you can claim the $1500 for each year. Make sense? That way you get a little bit more back in your pocket.

SHEW looks like either way we are in for some serious debt early next year . . . just want to get over Christmas 1st.

@ NotLookingBack - i heard of a ortho in Traralgon, not sure if its the same doc you mentioned but please can you send me the details anyway.

We will go and make an appointment and take it from there.

My daughter has an "underbite" and its starting to grind her top two teeth, not sure yet on how they going to fix that one before putting on tracks :ilikeit:

Wishing now i hadn't bought a new car :blink:

My son's problem was also underbite, and he just got plates (or called blocks) - muuuuuuch cheaper at $2500 total if I remember correctly. Am PM'ing you the tel number.

Y

Hi

You might want to look into the No Brace clinic as well? I think the costs are about the same and I have seen perfect results in my friends son. He had underbite as well. What I like about it is that you can start early.. I think they start at 6 or 7..

Have a lovely day!!

My son's problem was also underbite, and he just got plates (or called blocks) - muuuuuuch cheaper at $2500 total if I remember correctly. Am PM'ing you the tel number.

Y

Ahhh so lets hope it aint gonna be bad financially. Thanks for the info, i got :)

Archived