The Outback of Australia 2

Bob

Each "gap" in the Ranges usually meant there was a waterhole, which in the good years when there's been a fair bit of rainfall, leaves a good deal of water to swim in and enjoy. More important though, it's life saving water for the wildlife.

In the dry years everything retreats to the remaining water holes and you can imagine the competition that puts on the wildlife.

We drive on to Ellery Big Waterhole thro countryside that's had good rains this winter and looks as green as I've ever seen it. Usually this is getting towards the end of the long dry season and everything starts to look parched. This year all the plants are in bloom and the trees have a lustre that's remarkable for this time of year.

DSC_0262.jpg

A creek crossing with water flowing - a treat for me to see this!

DSC_0242.jpg

Ellery Big Waterhole

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

It's pretty cold, but great once you get out on a warm / hot day. This time of the year (Sept / Oct school holidays) is really good for the kids

We both jumped in and swam thro the gap to the far side. I was buggered by the time I got back - unfit!

DSC_0275.jpg

There is camping facilities here at Ellery. It deserves a mention as a cheap alternative to the accomodation in town (Alice Springs). Here, it's around $7 a night for a family (mum, dad + up to 4 kids!)

Now you don't have to sell one of your kids into slavery to have a good fortnight's holiday!

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

this is a rig (caravan) like mine, but others have the wind-up Jaycos as in the previous photo, to the right, which services well for a family on a budget.

DSC_0268.jpg

You've got running water laid on at the tanks by the Information Office about 50 yards / 50 metres away . . . . You have to run and get it!

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

The solar panels on the roof were impressive on the Info Centre

DSC_0270.jpg

The fireplace. A bloke I spoke to having the wind-up Jayco caravan said he's sat around the fire the previous night with his son

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

The whole area is clean and tidy with free gas barbies to use. You just toss your chops on!

DSC_0266.jpg

My wife is a flower fanatic. I'll be driving along the highway with a 2.5 ton 4WD towing a 2.4 ton caravan fully laden and I'll have to stop on a threepenny bit to take a picture of a flower in the bush she's seen!

DSC_0278.jpg

Anyhow . . . this is me, the closest I'm coming to "smell the roses"

DSC_0281.jpg

A desert rose

DSC_0293.jpg

More photos tomorrow.

Hi Bob,

Good to see your post and pictures...you are on the move again...love hearing about your travels...we are still in Emerald...

Hi Bob,

Good to see your post and pictures...you are on the move again...love hearing about your travels...we are still in Emerald...

Hi there, Jill!

Yeah . . . we're on the move - again! - like a couple of old trekboers in their covered waggons, shifting from place to place.

We've been over 18 months now "on the road" so to speak.

Been living in our 18' caravan since we got back from England in early November and am looking forward to being in a house once again by Christmas.

The room service goes on strike in this caravan, from time to time, with no coffee or bacon & eggs some mornings in bed! Shucks. Just goes to prove you can't get damn good room service nowadays.

Anyhow . . . we're slowly meandering down south like migratory birds on the wing, back to Adelaide in a month or two, but it's still too cold down there just yet.

I prefer 28 degrees each and every day with full sunshine and pleasant evenings for "happy hour" with the other campers to share a laugh with.

If we were in Emerald in central Queensland, we'd have given you and your hubbie a phone call to pop in for a cold beer and some boerewors that we've been munching on occasionally during our travels.

I hope both of you are still enjoying life there.

Your turn to do the grey nomad lifestyle in a few years time, hey, with you hopefully picking up a tip of two for where to go and see?

Your photos are great, Bob. I would love to travel around Australia like you are doing, someday. So much to see and do. Lots to look forward to!

Your photos are great, Bob. I would love to travel around Australia like you are doing, someday. So much to see and do. Lots to look forward to!

Thanks.

Retirement lets me do all this travel.

Retirement is something that will all do, but seldom plan for.

In retirement, you can do all the things on your bucket list.

You have to plan for it though.

If you don't plan to retire, then you're setting yourself up to work until you drop.

So . . . . plan to retire . . . and see Australia with all the other grey nomads some day.

It's a great country and there's heaps to see and interesting places to get to and enjoy.

Good luck!

Archived