Melbourne here we come!

OpiesinOz

Hi everyone! We are a family of 5 who are finally on their way to Melbourne. We have been planning our move for a while and our visas were finally granted in March. We leave in December, but my husband and I are going to Melbourne for 2 weeks in October to visit schools and HOPEFULLY find a house to rent. The area we have chosen to live is the Mentone/beaumaris area - if anyone lives around there, we`d love to hear from you - this whole move is DAUNTING, but also exciting! :unsure:

Hi everyone! We are a family of 5 who are finally on their way to Melbourne. We have been planning our move for a while and our visas were finally granted in March. We leave in December, but my husband and I are going to Melbourne for 2 weeks in October to visit schools and HOPEFULLY find a house to rent. The area we have chosen to live is the Mentone/beaumaris area - if anyone lives around there, we`d love to hear from you - this whole move is DAUNTING, but also exciting! :unsure:

All the best with your move. Just something you might want to keep in mind is that securing a rental can be quite a mission (search the forum for what you need) and that most of the rental properties you will view in October will be available to move in within a few weeks. So if you secure a rental on your trip in October, you might have to pay for it through November too, even though it will be empty. Just something to think about. I personally would get a short term let for Dec and start looking in Jan for the real house.

Hi

We live in Mordialloc which is next door to Mentone. Send me a PM with questions and I will answer what I can

Penny

All the best with your move. Just something you might want to keep in mind is that securing a rental can be quite a mission (search the forum for what you need) and that most of the rental properties you will view in October will be available to move in within a few weeks. So if you secure a rental on your trip in October, you might have to pay for it through November too, even though it will be empty. Just something to think about. I personally would get a short term let for Dec and start looking in Jan for the real house.

Thanks so much for the tip. I think we`ll have to pay rent on an empty house. I would prefer doing that, knowing we have something to move into as soon as we arrive. Also, to guarantee a place at a Secondary school, you have to live in the "neighbourhood zone" and the schools want to see proof of lease, utility bill etc and don`t feel like leaving that til the last minute. It`s a bit of a catch 22 situation!! Am busy getting required rental documents ready to go with the application forms. Have come across some useful info on this forum. Any other tips would be much appreciated

Cheers, Carol

HI Carol,

Sounds so exciting. Can you please elaborate on rental documents that you have prepared? Thanks, we are moving in January to WA. Luckily we are moving to a small town and after I mailed the principals at the only two schools they both agreed to register my kids before we arrive. Good luck with the trip

Thanks,

Deirdre

HI Carol,

Sounds so exciting. Can you please elaborate on rental documents that you have prepared? Thanks, we are moving in January to WA. Luckily we are moving to a small town and after I mailed the principals at the only two schools they both agreed to register my kids before we arrive. Good luck with the trip

Thanks,

Deirdre

Hi Deirdre

As far as I know, the more documents you have, the better! So far I have:

1. Copy of passport and visa

2. Copy of birth certificates

3. Bank Statement - we have opened an account in Oz

4. Reference letter from previous rental agent

5. Reference letter from your accountant

6. Covering letter describing you and your family

Regards

Carol

Hi there.We are flying to Melbourne on the 22 of Feb.I have a question:which areas to look?

We fly on Vaus's last flight.We are scared but so very exited.We don't have a job yet.Hubby is in IT and me I'm a educare teacher.

Henriette

Opies, you got your visas in March? You are coming over in October for the first time? Which visa do you have? If I'm not mistaken, we had to validate our visas within 6 months.

Someone correct me?

- G

Garrick, usually validation is required within 12 months of your medicals/police clearance, whichever is the later. It is also stated on your letter that you receive telling you that your visa has been granted.

My wife's cousins live in Black Rock and her aunt and uncle are moving to Mentone in December. I've never actually been down there, but I've heard it's nice. As you'll be in the east, give us a shout if you need help once you get here - we're about 7km from Mentone.

Good luck. :D

-G

Garrick, usually validation is required within 12 months of your medicals/police clearance, whichever is the later. It is also stated on your letter that you receive telling you that your visa has been granted.

Ah yes, now I remember, ours was indeed like that. Ours got granted smack in the middle.

-G

Opies, you got your visas in March? You are coming over in October for the first time? Which visa do you have? If I'm not mistaken, we had to validate our visas within 6 months.

Someone correct me?

- G

Hi Garrick

We have a business 163 visa and have to validate by January 2011. That`s what it says on our visa anyway!!

Cheers

Carol

My wife's cousins live in Black Rock and her aunt and uncle are moving to Mentone in December. I've never actually been down there, but I've heard it's nice. As you'll be in the east, give us a shout if you need help once you get here - we're about 7km from Mentone.

Good luck. :D

-G

Hi again

Thanks, I think I`ll need all the help I can get!! How are you enjoying life in Melbourne so far?

C

Hi there.We are flying to Melbourne on the 22 of Feb.I have a question:which areas to look?

We fly on Vaus's last flight.We are scared but so very exited.We don't have a job yet.Hubby is in IT and me I'm a educare teacher.

Henriette

Hi Henriette

Yes, I heard Vaus were stopping their flights - pity. We are flying with them now in October.

There are many lovely areas in Melbourne, but I`m sure there are others on this forum who can answer that question better than I can. We have chosen the Mentone area because, as well as being near the sea (bay!), there are also some good high schools. So we kind of chose schools first!

xCarol

Opies ?

I have been looking for Opies ? My late mom was an Opie.

Carol

Hi there

Quite an unusual surname. Most of the Opies we know, live in Cape Town, and we are not related to all of them. Where was your Mom from and what was her first name - maybe I can try and find out for you?

C

Hi

We live in Mordialloc which is next door to Mentone. Send me a PM with questions and I will answer what I can

Penny

Hi Penny, did you get my PM? Not sure if I am doing things correctly - sent you a message, but can`t find it "saved" anywhere!!

Carol

I believe there is a "small" football game in Melbourne on Sat 25 Sept, the day we arrive?

If you want to have a nice quiet day shopping or at the Royal Show, Saturday afternoon would be a good time.

-G

Archived