"Converting" 457 visa to 856 visa

In Feb we're going to Aus on a 457 visa. My contract is for 2 years (and so is the visa). My company are prepared to sponsor me for permanent residence down the line, but my question is how soon can we apply for the 856 ENS visa? We'd obviously like to secure PR as soon as possible. Is there a minimum period we have to wait before we can apply? And how quick and easy is it to "upgrade"?

My understanding is that most people do it after two years because 2 years work experience means you do not have to have a skills assessment (or something) and therefore it becomes pretty easy to convert. Is this true? That then raises the question of what to do if your 457 visa is only for two years. You then don't have any more time left in Aus to apply for the 856 visa and wait for it to come through, as the 457 would have already expired.

Anyone ever had any experience with this? Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?

i Rich

I don't know the answers, but I know Etienne Hugo does. His details are on the forum.

Regards

Aniena

The rule is: you have to be in that position for 2 years of which 12 months prior to your application for 856 with the sponsoring employer. In other words: if you come over as an IT Solutions Architect, you have to be working as an IT solutions architect for 2 years of which the last 12 months of these 2 years must be with the employer who is sponsoring your 856 application. Hope this makes sense..... (PS: There is no time limit if you want to go the 136 route, but being in that position in Aus for 6 months, gives you extra points, so most people wait 6 months before applying for the 136)

just keep in mind it differs from state to state,in regional western Australia you need only to work for 3 months(probation) then you are nominated by the company,when this nomination is approved,then you can apply and no assessment is done.the waiting period for approval is 4-6 months.only catch is apparently they have a condition you have to stay for 2 years with the company that nominates you.

regards,christelle