Yes cost of Living Again

Stadler Family

Guest colton

Is it true that people gets paid weekly in Aus instead of monthly?

It depends on what work you do. My Hubby used to get paid weekly which was great but since then he got a promotion and now gets paid monthly. It can be a bit of a pain because most bills come weekly although things like electricity comes once every 3 months.

Hi to Everybody

Interesting topic. I can understand that the amount of tax is different to everybody's circumstances, but what would the average tax be on a average salary of 50k a year?

That would be about 4160 aus dollar a month. I really thought the average to be around 5000 aus dol.

Anyway. Does not matter as long as one can survive on 4160 a month.

Is it true that people gets paid weekly in Aus instead of monthly?

Garfield

Hi Garfield,

I take it that you want to know how much PAYE will be deducted from your fortnightly wage.

I did a quick calculation and on $50 000 pa your fortnightly deductions will be somewhere between $390 and $400 per fortnight.

For convenience sake assume that you will be paid fortnightly. Another factor that may influence your fortnightly deductions is the portion of the tax year that you have been working.

On a salary of $50 000 pa the full tax rate is: $2850 on the first $25 000 and 30cents for each $1 over $25 000. That works out to $10 350. For monthly deduction divide by 12, for fortnightly deductions divide by 26.

There are factors that may influence your final taxable income on which you pay your annual tax. There are a lot of aspects that come into play in respect of deductions in respect of your tax; e.g.

* Costs of tools, clothing, protective materials for a range of jobs. If you do a job where you are out of doors often, for example, you are entitled to the cost of a new pair of sunglasses each tax year.

* If you belong to a Union you can deduct the cost in full.

* You may deduct some costs you incurred for studies

* You may deduct the use of your private vehicle for work purposes, (not traveling between your work and home though) e.g. attending work related seminars, picking up stuff etc.

* If you use a computer for work purposes at home you can deduct a proportional amount for that as well, but be careful, there are special rules and guidelines for this especially.

There are aspects where you have to make a payment as well, e.g. if you don’t have private health cover, you have to pay a Medicare levy which will be about $650.00 on a salary of $50 000l. If you do have private cover you don’t pay the levy and you are refunded about 30% of your private health premiums.

(Caution: don’t barge into any private health cover for the sake of tax deductions – there are some pitfalls. Do you homework thoroughly before going down the private health cover road.)

Regarding the private versus Medicare health cover issue my personal opinion is that I rather elect to pay the annual tax Medicare levy in lieu of private cover as I do not need medical services that much. And more importantly, Australian health services are very good and subsequently are good enough for me. When you observe Australian public hospitals you often get the impression that you are observing RSA private hospitals. This is my personal opinion only. :ilikeit:

Hope the info is useful

Cheers,

Dax

. . .

On a salary of $50 000 pa the full tax rate is: $2850 on the first $25 000 and 30cents for each $1 over $25 000. That works out to $10 350. For monthly deduction divide by 12, for fortnightly deductions divide by 26.

. . .

I think you are using last year's rates there - tax went down a little two weeks ago. It is now $3600 on the first $30,000 and then 30 cents per dollar over that (up to $75,000). Tax on $50,000 = $9,600.

I think you are using last year's rates there - tax went down a little two weeks ago. It is now $3600 on the first $30,000 and then 30 cents per dollar over that (up to $75,000). Tax on $50,000 = $9,600.

I got the info from the ATO website this morning, and used the info from the bottom of the two tables on the righthand side of the webpage that links to this link:

Australian Tax Office

Garfield quoted an annual salary of $50 000 and that the figure that i used to calculate the figures. I'll Check th efigures again, however, don't want to pass on the wrong info.

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

I checked th efigure again, it seems right

I got the info from the ATO website this morning, and used the info from the bottom of the two tables on the righthand side of the webpage that links to this link:

Australian Tax Office

??? I don't see the 2007-2008 table there (ie from 1 July 2007).

It is on the real ATO site though:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content....nu=5053&mfp=001

Ah Sorry Woodag & Garfield, I was looking at th ewrong tables - did not look at the 2007/08 tables. My mistake.

So, Garfield, keep in mind that my figures are correct only for the past tax year. Personally i don't bother with a tax year's current scales untilil its time to fill in form, that's why i looked at last years scales only.

Sorry Guys! :ilikeit:

Dax

Ah Sorry Woodag & Garfield, I was looking at th ewrong tables - did not look at the 2007/08 tables. My mistake.

So, Garfield, keep in mind that my figures are correct only for the past tax year. Personally i don't bother with a tax year's current scales untilil its time to fill in form, that's why i looked at last years scales only.

Sorry Guys! :ilikeit:

Dax

Ok I need some help! My salary is given as income + remote location allowence+ 9% super. If I want to work out how much I will get out, per month, should I include or exclude the remote location allowance for tax purposes?

And then the company I work for will provide me with private medical- do I get tax reduction for that? (visa 457)

Thanks guys

H

Ok I need some help! My salary is given as income + remote location allowence+ 9% super. If I want to work out how much I will get out, per month, should I include or exclude the remote location allowance for tax purposes?

And then the company I work for will provide me with private medical- do I get tax reduction for that? (visa 457)

Thanks guys

H

As far as i know any allowance will be regarded as a fringe benefit which attracts tax.

If the company pays for the Private health I'm not sure, but seems then like a fringe benefit that will also attract tax.

If you pay the private tax premuims you can deduct about 30% as a tax deduction.

The best will be to check with the company. However all should be shown indetail on the tax certificate that your company will issue at the end of the tax year.

Hope this helps,

Dax

DON"T panic guys!!

That budget is hugely exagerated. My husband earns just over $1000 per week after tax (without overtime) and we live very well. And he is frustrated because they don't work as fast/hard as he is used to. So he's not working himself to a standstil.

Came here with NOTHING or just about R50 000 and have bought 2 cars and furnature etc etc. We arived with 2 suitcases.

IT CAN BE DONE ON A NOTHING BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!! we did it!!!!

Nilo

Hi Nilo,

Ek was ou so geworried, dat ek besluit het die sponsor wil my nou regtig indoen!!!

Ek het 2 dae terug met jou op 'n ander forum gesels, en het uiteindelik my voorlopige "offer" vandag gekry - kan jy dit glo?? Anyway, ek is omtrent in dieselfde ballpark as jou hubby - en was nou verskriklik gestress, want ek en ma sal mos nooit met die salaris uitkom nie!!

Toe kom jy nou tot my redding!!

Dankie, nou weet ek wat om te doen!!! :ilikeit:

Groetnis

JJ

Hallo Jayjay

Sien jy's nog on line. Die ding hou mens wakker ne!! Ons het al klaar geslaap, dis wat so lekker is om te chat want waneer ons slaap is julle wakker en anders om.

By the way jou vrou kan ook 'n joppie kry vir ekstra indien nodig. Dit is hier populer om casual te werk dan kry mens tussen 15 en 20 dollar 'n uur. Selfs by die supermarkte en hier is 'n job 'n job niks is 'n skande nie. Dan werk mens so 20 uur 'n week, net lekker as jy huisvrou ook is.

Wees gerus en ek sien Liezel se dieselfde as ek, sy's my maatjie van lank al en ek het nie met haar confer nie, so there you have it.

Ons het on Cr kaart in SA uitgemax maar dit is maklik om dollars te verdien en in rande aftebetaal.

Sien julle een van die dae.

Lovies

Nilo

Henriette Rossouw

I need to correct a previous comment, there is no reduction in tax for the private medical you pay, WHILST ON A 457, you are only eligible for that once you have PR.

With regard to the remote location allowance, you may as well add that to your salary to work out your tax, I am pretty sure it is not regarded as a fringe benefit, but as income.

Please remember to exclude the superannuation from your calculation as this is something the company pays and has nothing to do with your income.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo Julle,

Ja, weer die ou-ou storie, cost of living!! :D

Die gereelde forum gangers is, ek dink, al siek en sat daarvoor, en ek was geduldig, het baie aande gesit en lees - en lees, maar nie eintlik die regte antwoorde gekry nie. My hoop was dat iemand iets sou laat weet van die platteland af, want soos ek verstaan, is die plek waar ek oppad toe is (Williamton NSW), so 250km vanaf Sydney en 'n halfuur vanaf Newcastle af. Baie van die forumgangers kom van Brisbane af (Nilo ens), en dit lyk vir my die meerderheid is ook oppad soontoe. Maar van NSW verder van die stede af, niks nie.

Ek verstaan ook dat huishuur ens verskriklik varieer, maar ek het nie 'n probleem daarmee nie, dis die kos storie. Ek het al verskeie antwoorde gelees, dat dit gaan oor wat julle eet en drink en hoeveel. Dis ook fine, maar wat kos 'n kg rump, chops, 'n brood, aartappels, mieliemeel (as daar is), suiker, koffie, petrol, motor lisensiegelde ens? Wyn, XXXX en daai ander lekker goed pas 'n ou maar aan volgens jou sak.

Sal wardeer as iemand my van Newcastle of omgewing (Noord) kan help.

Groetnis

JJ

Hi JayJay

Ek het dieselfde probleem as jy. Moet ook in die platteland gaan woon en omtrent geen inligting op forum daaroor beskikbaar.

Ek gaan egter oor 2 weke op n LSD trip deur Suid Australie en NSW, spesifiek deur die platteland, om meer inligting te kry. Laat weet as daar iets spesifiek is wat ek vir jou kan uitvind.

Ek sal alles met julle deel as ek terug is.

Groete

Sakkie

Hi Sakkie,

Jy's 'n ster!

Dis maar net die gewone goed wat 'n ou se budget saamstel, kos en skoonmaak middels - niks ongewoons nie.

Het jy al werk gekry - of het jy iets in sig? In watter veld is jy?

Baie dankie vir jou aanbod oor die pryse. Laat my weet hoe dit gaan met jou dinge.

Groetnis

JJ

Cost of Living in Australia

Australia has some of the world's least expensive cities. The cost of living in Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Perth is less than half that of the world's most expensive cities. At the same time, Australia's major cities are all ranked in the world's top 30 for quality of life. The cost of living in Western Australia is generally lower than in other Australian states. One can expect to pay more per year for rent, transport, and food in Australia's east-coast cities. Prices are relatively low for essentials such as food, drink, and clothes. Manufactured goods, on the other hand, are generally expensive because many are imported.

To get an idea of what a typical family of four people living in Perth, Western Australia spends each week on housing, food, transport, schooling etc, visit Aussiemove on: http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/costlive.asp. This is a very useful guide, but you should be aware that the cost of living in Sydney, in particular, will be significantly higher.

For further information on Australian living costs and qualify of life ratings, you may wish to visit:

http://www.finfacs.ie/costofliving.htm

http://www.finfacs.ie/qualityoflife.htm

The above FinFacs links don't work??

Santosh

go to :

www.finfacts.ie

and you get both the CoL and quality of life , charts and some comments ;

note also that in global comparison of quality of life Zuerich , Geneva , Vancouver , Vienna , Auckland , Duesseldorf , Frankfurt , Muenich and Bern all rate higher than Sydney , and that Copenhagen , Wellington , Amsterdam , Bruxelles , Toronto and Berlin are higher than Melbourne , with Perth scoring less than Luxembourg , Ottawa and Stockholm ; quite a change from fairly high , Top 10 rankings of most main Oz cities , just a few short years ago !

Guest colton

Hi JayJay,

There are quite a few threads on cost of foods etc but when you are still in RSA and convert directly the prices seem so drastically different and expensive. I bought a few minor things this evening and will give you the prices: (The Coke and Ciggies were for my hubby :lol: )

3ltr Milk $3.49

2ltr Coke $2.29

Mars Bar 60g $1.00 :whome:

Winfields 25Pkt $9.95 :P

Direct conversion seems so expensive but as my daughter was telling a friend yesterday, it takes forever to make R1 000 back in RSA but here within a couple of weeks she can make $1 000, on a part time job. The biggest difference is in how far your $1 000 takes you, she just bought a GSD (fancy hair straightner), digital camera and an ipod ALL FOR $1 000. Her friend was telling her that the same GSD back in RSA was well over R1 000. :lol:

I don't think it makes it easier knowing the cost of things this side until you are actually earning the currency here, then you can see how far your money goes, way further than in RSA.

The cost of things are relative to what you earn, I make $100 a day working 5 hours in a very basic job. The average person in RSA doesn't make R600 for 5 hours. I could make lots more if I wanted to increase the hours, you can earn whatever, depending on how hard you want to work, that's the beauty of this country, the possibilities are endless. ;)

Edited by colton

Hi JayJay

Ek is tans n sitrusboer in die Noord-Kaap van RSA. Gaan probeer werk soek in sitrusindusrie in Suid-Australie en NSW. Dit is langs die Murray-rivier en sluit dorpies in soos Waikerie, Renmark en Mildura. Ek gaan op my LSD trip mense sien in Renmark i.v.m. werk.

Groete

Sakkie

Hi Colton,

Your information elps a lot - thank you. The reason why I want to know, is that i alsready know how much I am going to earn in Oz, but just want to check if everything will work out, as I have to come back after 4 years.

Sakkie,

Baie sterkte met jou trip - ek sal op Google Earth kyk waar al die dorpies is. Soos ek verstaan, is daar waar ek gaan baie druiwe. die ouens het tydens die onderhoud vir my gese dit lyk soos Stellenbosch. Weet nie of dar sitrus is nie, maar sal gaan kyk en jou laat weet.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the links - I shall check it out!!

Groetnis

JJ

Why do you have to come back after 4 years Jay Jay?

Hi Rodz,

I only qualify for a 457 visa, because of my age - I'm 51. I shall cetainly try to get a PR when I'm in Oz, but think I shall need all the support I can have, esspecially from my sponsor - which I don't think will be problem.

When I applied for the job, my sponsor tried to get me a PR, but couldn't.

Groetnis