How to proceed.

WAtdehel

Hi guys,

I had a look through the forums for an answer to my question, but couldn't find anything (either too stupid or too lazy... :sleep1: )

We (my wife and I) haven't started on any applications yet. I just found out this morning that I have a job in Oz, which is wonderful news. :ilikeit:

Now, before making me a formal offer, my potential employer wants us to come and do the LSD-thing. They even offered to pay for it (very, very, very nice people ;) ).

My dilemma now is: regarding visas, how do I proceed? It sounds like they want me out there ASAP for the LSD. I thought I will proceed perhaps with a tourist visa for the LSD, then when the job is secured to start with the skilled worker visa. Or should I start on both?

I need to get over there as soon as possible for the LSD, but intend to stay there permanently in the future. I've been told that the work visa is quicker to get and my future employer has assured me that they will sponsor me once I'm there for PR status.

What should I do? Stupid question: how long (roughly) am I looking at to get a work visa and tourist visa?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I apologise if I'm asking old questions, but this is all very new to me. :ilikeit:

hi there

don't worry, none of those are stupid questions, we all have to start somewhere, rather ask than fret alone... :sleep1:

Well, we going on LSD in just over a week, it took us 2 weeks for our tourist visa - we used visas unlimited as they collect your documents from you and deliver when approved and give advice if not sure about anything... (see www.visasunlimited.co.za and there info and contact details are on there)

My understanding is once the offer is made and signed the process doesn't take too long depending on how it goes, but go on the LSD first and take it from there (go to the www.immi.gov.au for what you must do on employer sponsor visa 457)

If you want to ask anything at all for the tourist visa PM me, just don't give an indication that it has anything to do with work, its for holiday!! :ilikeit:

Good Luck and congrats on the offer, hopefully you'll love what you see and take that BIG step... :ilikeit:

Chandi ;)

Hi thunder888

First for the LSD you need to get a tourist visa, which should only take a few days, of course, as long as you have a valid passport. You will need to make a flight booking, get a written copy of it from the travel agency, and then together with your application form (which the travel agent could perhaps arrange for you for a small fee) send or take it to the Australian Consulate for the visa to be processed. Check with the travel agent, they should be able to help you with this.

Once you have been on your LSD trip and you are happy with the offer, then you apply for a 457 visa with their sponsorship. Depending on how fast they work this could be a few days, weeks or a couple of months. It all depends on the employer and if they appoint an agent to assist you, and how fast the agent gets things done.

Once you are here and working you can then apply for your 136 permanent residence with their sponsorship.

In the meantime make sure that you apply for unabridged birth certificates for all the members of your family and yourself that are going to come to Australia. You will also need an unabridged marriage certificate. You are going to need these when you make your application for PR only, but they take a while to get.

Hope that has answered your questions.

What should I do? Stupid question: how long (roughly) am I looking at to get a work visa and tourist visa?

The tourist visa takes 5 working days, you can get it in Joburg or Pretoria.

Where to apply

How to apply

Download Form 48

Visa fees

for tourism (visitor) visa the total = R430 + R160 admin fee = R590

You must pay that CASH into the VFS account BEFORE you go to the Australian embassy.

Chandi: Thanks very much for the link and PM offer. Let me get my ducks in a row and I'll let you know what's happening.

Mara: Thank you for the tips about the paperwork - I really hate admin.

Springbok: Much appreciated - thank you for making it idiot-proof.

I can see that I'll be making a lot of friends on this forum. Will have to buy a lot of "thank-you" beer when the move is over! :thumbdown: