Random thoughts after 6 weeks here

Guest Bronwyn

yeah, mate!

New South is like the "old" Transvaal . . . and Pay! (und bezahlen = en betaal)

I cop about 50% of the jigsaw puzzle when I read Afrikaans and fill in the rest with a calculated guess . . . . bit like share trading :lol:

The cheapest place to live in, for many years, was Queensland where there were very few State taxes. Cigarettes were free of State taxes, petrol was too . . . I remember filling up at 62c a litre in Q'ld and drove over the border into N.S.W. and looked at petrol there at 69c a litre! :D

The old National Party that ran Q'ld for 25 years left the State ticking over like clockwork economically when the incoming Labor Party came into power. It had the healthiest economy in Australia at the time.

The dearest States to live in, years ago, were Victoria and New South Wales. Victoria had a Labor gov't in power for 10 years throughout the 1980s and almost bankrupted the State economy. People were leaving Vic in their droves to head for Q'ld where the work was.

South Australia and Western Australia had similar experiences with their respective State gov'ts being run by Labor governments. Both these States experiences failing State economies after 10 years of Labor run administrations. Today, all the States and Territory gov'ts are Labor run, so it really doesn't matter where you live, you will get slugged.

Needless to say, today I'm old enough to remember the way the Labor runs the shop and in an election year like 2007, I'm a bit worried which way Australians will end up voting nationally.

Interesting times!

Edited by Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for that interesting post, it was wonderful to read, and to see that you are happy and settling in well.

Good luck with the shopping!

Greetings,

Dreamy