LSD trip in July 2006

kangaroo

Hi everyone!

My parents and I are considering an LSD trip of about 12-14 days in July 2006. Seeing that it is winter then (off-peak season in Oz), would you say we are wasting our time?

Cities we specifically want to visit are Melbourne and Adelaide, as these are cities we consider living in once in Australia permanently. Will probably also spend a day or two in Sydney with flight stop-overs.

From previous experience, I've found that travelling in the winter is sometimes best, as one doesn't get tired so quickly and the 'travelling stickiness' of summer isn't such a big problem then. Tariffs and rates are also (presumably) a bit more cost-efffective.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. I realise that winter isn't the most beautiful of seasons in the Southern Hemisphere, but do you still think we'd be able to get a fair impression of Australia?

Can't WAIT to see Oz!!! :ilikeit:

Liza

Haven't been to Oz during July so I don't know what it looks like but I would still have gone during July if I could. LSD trip is exactly that Look see Decide - it has to be real. If it was a holiday I would rather pay the extra and get the perfect weather etc. Maybe just keep in mind that it is winter and just as summer is so much nicer in SA-it is also so much nicer in Oz during summer?

We went to Oz during December and came back just before Christmas. It was quite hot-I remember going to the Perth Zoo and thinking"oh my goodness..I think that I am going to pass out" :blink:

Brisbane was hot and humid but I am a Durban girl so it wasn't a problem. Sydney was great but I actually got cold in the evenings. I had to buy a couple of jerseys because I was so cold and I only had summer tops with :ilikeit: Hubby took tremendous strain in the heat and he just thought that it was too hot all the time.

If I had a choice I would go in July. Just to find out what it is like during winter. I imagine the weather depends which region you are going to visit? But as I said- no idea what July weather entails....

Dear Kangeroo

Not a bad idea coming in winter. Financially, you'll be better off, seeing this is your LSD trip.

I have been in Sydney now for 2 years, experienced the winter 2x. We have the most beautiful winters, comparing to Cape Town. It can get cold, but not as much. All the motels/bungalows has airconditioning, so this won't be a problem. You only have app 11 hours sunlight during the winters, it gets dark around 6 in the evening.

2 Years back we went to Adelaide in the winter to visit some friends. Reminds me of Cape Town's weather. Bit wet at that time of the year, but just bring enough warm clothes. Melbourne has 4 seasons in one day and has more or less the same type of winter than Hermanus, I believe.

But all in all, it is'nt a bad time of the year. You will still see what you want to see. You can plan to get up very early to start sightseeing and relax after 6 in the evening. As Caroline said, it really becomes hot in the summer and with your parents coming with, it might be a better idea to do the LSD trip in winter. I still can't get used to the summers (very humid and sticky), especially in Sydney. Sydney is more like Durban's weather, Melbourne like Hermanus and Adelaide like Cape Town - just to give you an idea. Only town you can avoid in winter is Canberra. Really gets gold there, because the Snowy Mountains isn't far away.

You won't be dissapointed.

Regards

Madelein

Thanks Madelein

Sounds as if winter is indeed a good idea! I don't like that sticky feeling when travelling, so winter seems the best in that respect. Good to see the city/weather comparisons you've made; Adelaide and Melbourne sound great. Love the four seasons in one day weather like Hermanus!

Thanks also Caroline - we were in Italy during their summer once and I also thought I would pass out at one stage B) ...fortunately I used a map as sun 'umbrella'...think that just saved me.

Really looking forward to seeing a bit of Australia!

Liza

Hi Liza

If you really want to save money, then do not book accommodation through your travel agent, go to the following website and book your accommodation around 10 days before you travel - you get good accommodation for a highly discounted price.

www.needitnow.com.au

I am happy to have you over for coffee or something whilst you are in Melbourne, if you wish to make contact.

You can contact me at mara at aanet dot com dot au

Thank you Mara!

I will definitely have a look at the website you've mentioned; sounds promising.

It would be wonderful for my parents and I to meet with you when we're in Melbourne, thank you - I'll be in contact with you via e-mail to arrange a time as soon as our travel arrangements have been finalised.

Really cannot wait to set foot in Australia and see things first-hand!

Until later then B)

Liza

Hi Liza

We look forward to meeting you as well. It is always lovely to meet up with fellow SA's.

Good luck with the arrangements and let me know if there is something we can help with.

Mara

We did our LSD in August - also not peak season, and it was fine. As mentioned here - the purpose is to see what life is like - not to have a holiday - so the weather isn't a real issue

Australia's a big place . . . . seven times the size of South Africa . . . . and 40% of Australia lies above the tropic of Capricorn.

For the old timers, newly retired and wanting to trek off in their 4WDs and caravans to see a bit of Australia from year to year, the rule is the "Tropics in winter and down south in summer".

You'll see no end of "rigs" (4WDs and caravans with a couple of "grey nomads" inside) heading the 2,000 kms north to the tropics at the onset of winter, around May.

This means you're always travelling in good weather, but it can be really hot in summertime . . . 40 degrees +

If you really want to see Australia, and you're not interested in the weather so much as lifestyle and what facilites Australia has, then going in wintertime to Melbourne and Adelaide is certainly cheaper, but we're confined to days by the TV and indoors. The weather for Aussies down the south of Australia just isn't good enough to plan a barbie or go next weekend for an afternoon's walk . . . . it's too unpredictable.

Melbourne and Adelaide folk like the great outdoors, they like having a coffee outside at the cafe, they like barbies and they like the beach, doing so with a vengeance for about six to eight months of the year . . . late spring to autumn.

Coming in wintertime means you see what the cities are like, what shopping centres they have, what the schools are like, the cars they drive, the housing Aussies live in, etc. but you won't see them down the beach or having barbies at that time of the year, so just take it for granted that they do get out after hibernation period.

Temps in Melbourne in July will be about 16 to 18 max / Adelaide 17 to 19 max.

Rain periods will be unpredictable at that time of year, as most of the rain for southern Australia falls in the winter and spring. It will be pot luck whether the day will be raining all the time or whether it's going to be a fine sunny day.

Days can be pleasant with cold nights, so pack accordingly.

Thanks for the interesting info and good advice, Bob

Much appreciated as always! :)

Liza

Also keep in mind school holidays whenever you decide to come over. Firstly the price of your tickets may differ vastly if you travel during Aus school holidays and secondly, the tourist attractions are very crowded during the school holidays whereas if you visit during school terms, you have the whole place to yourself! :ilikeit:

Anytime in Aus is a good time to visit! :ilikeit: