'South Africa Near Anarchy'

Veronique

Veronique I agree with you.When I was there for the world cup,

my friends and family all said that it was the turning point .

They said,,do you not regret leaving?.LOOK AT THIS GEES.

When I went to see AUS VS GHANA.Most SAFFERS supported Ghana.

What idiots..

How long will it be before they land up at the AUS consulate begging for a visa.

IEESH IT IS BROKEN

I think this strike is part of a larger problem within the ANC-led alliance. COSATU is flexing their political muscle by showing the ANC it does have power and the ANC needs to sit up and listen. I am not saying it is right because it is ultimately going to put more pressure on the SA economy and its dwindling tax base which is going to fuel resentment between the have's and the have-not's.

Seems like a vicious cycle....

Is any other government in the world able to pay their workers 10% especially as the effects of the GFC are still being felt. Governments are in debt and can't even afford 7% (which the ANC are offering), and nor would the workers or unions strike for it because it is illogical. People are just so grateful to have a job if they have one.

BUT....it does not help the SA governments cause when they so blatantly expose the extravagant lifestyles they are living.

hummm ANC cadres should have thought about how their votes were bought in the first place... hope they are happy with the millions they spent on new fancy cars! I was in full support of the strikes until they strikers started acting like total animals. But, on the other hand (Darren) public workers in Saffaland are paid pittance... what motivation is there to join the police force, nursing or teaching professions when at the end of the day they can't afford to live.

COSATU would do well to create an independent Labour Party and give the ANC an opposition with some sort of mettle.

This culture of striking is disgusting.

If you don't get paid enough or you are not happy with the working conditions then change your job, and if that's not an option then you humble your self and accept the least......until you find some thing better.

If you keep on doing what you have always done, then .....you will always get what you always got!

ie. If you don't like what you are doing then change it, if you can't then re position yourself untill you can.

It's so easy to create or sit on an alabi to make or give an excuse why we can't change.

No employee should have the power to hold a company or the government to ransom.

The reality is that the masses that march in these organized legal strikes seek only to enrich themselves the "easy" way.

Sorry, but this is my opion and I believe it makes the country weak.

The problem with South Africa is that is is too labour dependant. Many of us wish we could fill our own cars up, pack our own groceries etc. Unions are continually holding Government to ransom, will it ever cease?

Pipit :ilikeit:

The lazy turds at the Pick n Pay near our home DON'T flippin'well pack our bags unless we groan and moan and give them *pointed glares*. P*sses me off no end when I, after a hard day at work doing MY job, have to pack my shopping bags when that's THEIR job and THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE PAID TO DO!!

(Not ranting AT you Pipit, just annoyed that these people are striking etc... bla bla stupid country blabla :ph34r: )

My Dad is a principal at a primary school of about 500-600 children. He never participated in any strike but his union told him and my mom (also a teacher) to strike. I spoke to them yesterday and they have been sitting at home for almost 2 weeks now. Most of the schools in Mpumalanga are closed, black, white, indian not just the ones in the townships. My parents are not happy about being told to strike at all, it will have an effect on their next pay cheque too. Only in Africa huh?!

I do not want to talk SA down but I have noticed that everytime I speak to my parnets, the news are getting worse ( and my Dad always try to see the good in any situation). It scares me because over the last couple of months, my dad has not said anything to indicate that things in SA will get any better. He is a highly educated and clued up person and have not been wrong about alot of things. He was also fairly high up in politics etc a few years ago. I think it is just a matter of time and those who can get out, should.

Just this weekend, 2 people and one family that we personally know were murdered. Remember, this is in one weekend! I would not be able to count the number of victims (that I personally know) of serious crime on my two hands (and feet).

People like my brother are oblivious to the fact that SA is heading downhill...he is still very young and has an attitude of tomorrow is going to be another sunny day in SA. I wish I could knock some sense into him and his wife. They want to come over to Aus but it is not something they have on a to-do-asap-list. Has anyone else have family in this situation. I know the day WILL come where they are forced to leave but who wants to go out that way. And my parents keep buying investment properties, one after the other....I say sell, sell sell and invest in Aus. They agree but don't do anything about it, also on a to-do-later-list.

I hope I am wrong and that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming freight train.

I currently live in Cape Town, and the strikes are affecting all service delivery areas. The teacher strikes seem to be affecting the townships more so than the suburbs, and state hospitals more so than the privaye clinics. Those who can afford higher schools fees & private medical aid are less likely to be impacted by the ongoing strikes. I do so however feel for those who have lost love ones laying in hospital beds hoping for someone to assist. My main issue with all this is people are losing their lives while those stand outside & threaten those who want to help with thier lives - all over a few hundred rands while our phat cat government sit in their posh plush houses eating 3 course meals 3 times a day & have not really done anything to curb the strikes.

In response to Kyto - people have the right to strike, peacefully! No one should be harmed, threatened or lose ones life during a strike. I DO NOT however support the violence of strikes, but I also do not support slavery either! It's those at the top, the leaders of Unions & Government whom do not seem to care much for the people, but more for themselves. It is very sad that it had to get to this, but what does everyone expect when you have a government & leader who are asleep at the wheel, who leave issues unattended in hope that they resolve themselves & whom do not know or want to work to resolve the issues. Yes, they realise they have to WORK to resolve the issues - something the top brass of the ANC have not done in years!

So to blame those who strike (peacefully) is incorrect. They have finally had enough, exploded from pure frustration at the lack of government actions & the fulfillment of promises. It's about time the government & the leadership caught a wake up and realised that running a country is more about working than sitting back & getting rich. And do not think this only happens in Africa - spend some time and see what is going on in Europe & Asia! People are realising that enough is enough - and this is happening all over the world.

People like my brother are oblivious to the fact that SA is heading downhill...he is still very young and has an attitude of tomorrow is going to be another sunny day in SA. I wish I could knock some sense into him and his wife. They want to come over to Aus but it is not something they have on a to-do-asap-list. Has anyone else have family in this situation. I know the day WILL come where they are forced to leave but who wants to go out that way.

:lol: Juba, have they been here yet? In my experience the people who are dragging their feet often change their minds when they come here on holiday - its a very different thing to hear all about how great Aus is and to actually experience the lifestyle for oneself!!

People like my brother are oblivious to the fact that SA is heading downhill...he is still very young and has an attitude of tomorrow is going to be another sunny day in SA. I wish I could knock some sense into him and his wife. They want to come over to Aus but it is not something they have on a to-do-asap-list. Has anyone else have family in this situation.

Sort of… my sister and her family are in Colombia and are thinking about coming to Aus. I’ve told them that if they want to come to Aus, they’d better do it sooner rather than later, before visa changes and age limits catch up to them – because the process of coming to Aus can take years.

They are and are putting off the paperwork because it’s a mission, and although they are happy where they are and enjoying it - it worries me that if their contracts or visas expire, they could have no other option but head back to South Africa…

:ilikeit: Juba, have they been here yet? In my experience the people who are dragging their feet often change their minds when they come here on holiday - its a very different thing to hear all about how great Aus is and to actually experience the lifestyle for oneself!!

My brother has been in the UK for 3 years and his wife in the US for 3, so they know what a first world country is like. I agree that a holiday might help and they are expecting their first child, this made us move from the UK to Aus, so fingers crossed.Hansaplease, I am also worried that changes in migration law might change and catch up on them. we'll if that happens, lets hope that we are all wrong about SA

Archived