Virgin to can SA Australia Route

21yearsoutofrsa

Ouch, not good news for us on the forum... My folks were planning on visiting in Feb'11 and was planning on usiong VAUS :)

Wow what a shocker. They where still willing to book my return flight back to SA in April 2011.

Darn :-(. The Melbourne/Jhb direct flight worked so nicely for us.

Hmmm, there's too much risk having flights from Africa. I just wonder how that much extra flights from Abu Dhabi will impact influx in Oz from those countries ... ???

We're flying with them as well. Got an email today saying that our booking is still ok, flying back on 27 Jan 2011.

Their last flight will be on 22 Feb 2011.

yep, over the weekend they still had specials over the period we wanted to go for our activation trip (26 Feb 2011). I phoned the call centre to discuss a multi city booking; and she said: "sorry we're not going to fly from RSA anymore" :ilikeit:

When I asked what would have happened if I had not procrastinated and booked last week; she said that they are trying to liase with other carriers and the flights will be transferred to them.

So now my wife went to flight centre just now....

My sister was getting prices to come visit in December.The price of tickets with SAA and Quantas has just been going up .

I do not know if it is just coincidence or that they are losing competition.Any way she is not coming,too expensive.

We are flying with VAus to South Africa at the end of the year. Also received an e-mail last night to notify of the cancellation of the service in 2011. SAA and Qantas will now go back to their old ways and control the prices on these routes, so it will be a lot more difficult to get cheaper flights. At least we'll get one trip through VAus at a much reduced rate compared to SAA/Qantas.

From February 2011, Virgin Blue will consolidate its international network to two strategic hubs in Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi providing a gateway to a truly international network through partnerships. This is part of the strategic partnership with Etihad also announced today which provides the Virgin Blue Group seamless access to the Middle East; United Kingdom; Europe; Africa and Asia.

“With strategic hubs in Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi we will provide an extensive global network to our corporate and leisure guests.â€

V Australia will withdraw from its loss making Boeing 777-300 services to South Africa and Phuket.

“As a minor player on the African route the prospects of achieving a return are remote,†Mr Borghetti said.

“The Phuket service is also sub-optimal for our Boeing 777-300 given our configuration.â€

http://www.virginblue.com.au/AboutUs/Media...es/P_013367.htm

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Yes, darnit! Luckily our flights are booked already and we are flying in October and November respectively. Also got the email yesterday.

But still, this will affect our options when I want to come back to SA for a visit etc.

Hectic! So I guess all of us who flew with them can count ourselves part a select group :D Wonder if we should have a 10-year reunion :P Ticket-stub guarantees your place :blush:

Yesterday I went into a travel comp.,to find out about tickets to Melbourne one way.Estimated prices.....

R11000 per adult,R8500 p child under 12 years,through Quantas.

If u show immigration visa,there is a discount.

G

so with the exit of Virgin I guess IOM will become the flavour of the month once again.

That really stinks, now we gonna have to pay top wack for our planned visit back to RSA in 2012

We had a really awesome flight over here with them . . .

:ilikeit: to Virgin.

• 2 weeks later...

We also tried to book on VAustralia to leave in November and have a return flight in April - and so found out the news. Have now booked through SA to get to Melbourne and prices weren't bad - similar to original quotes from VAustralia before decision to withdraw and cheaper than folks tickets in Jan/Feb on VAus

Strange thing is that Quantas responded to the news of Virgins exit by dropping their prices immediately. We booked with them online for a family of 4 came to 35 k, includes 3 cities (Perth/Melbourne/Sydney).

Archived