Which visum?

IvdNest

Hi!

I just started the whole immigration process, and obviously I'm currently still overwhelmed by all the details! I realize that the basic documentation would have to be supplied (birth certificates, qualifications etc - which luckely I do have in order), but how do I make a decision in terms of WHICH visa to apply for?

Initially I looked at the 457, 136 and 134. By now I know that my brother (a Kiwi that just moved to Aus) would be unable to sponsor me, so my choice would have to be between the 457 and the 136.

Now: I just completed my post-graduate Economics studies a year ago. Although my qualifications are on the Skilled Migration List, I don’t have enough experience, which would mean I don't pass enough points to pass the test. It’ll only be about 110 points (instead of the 120 required).

Thus: I probably HAVE to look at the 457. Am I correct? Or is there any other (maybe even quicker) way to do this? And do people actually get lucky enough to be nominated fairly quickly? I mean: I don't want to apply for a visa and then wait 2 years just to find out I haven't gotten anywhere...

If my current job description doesn’t say “Economist”, should I expect issues when claiming to be skilled therein? (I currently work in the shares and futures environment).

Sorry, I know it seems like a lot of ‘stupid’ questions, but I don’t know who else to ask!

Dankie dankie!

IvdNest

Hi IvdNest

I would just like to advise that a 457 is a sponsored visa! You actually have to have a job in Australia and the prospective employer then sponsors you for a 457 visa. It is not a visa that you can apply for without sponsorship.

There may well be regional sponsored visa's, but I am not familiar with their requirements, perhaps somebody else can give you info on that.

Now for the most important, welcome to our website, hope you find all the information you need here.

but how do I make a decision in terms of WHICH visa to apply for?

Keep in mind that 457 is a TEMPORARY visa. Some other posts highlight some of the potential pitfalls of this type of visa.

Also have a look at Skilled - Independent Regional (subclass 495) visa (SIR) where the current pass mark is 110. Here you need to apply for nomination by a (regional) State or Territory based on their skills in demand criteria. This does not involve any direct involvement with employers nor a job offer. For more info click here. Important - you need to check what Recent work experience is required here.

The basic requirement in terms of "Recent work experience" rules out most of the other options like State Territory Nominated Independent (BN 137) visa.

For an economist (ASCO code 2522-11) the recent work experience is having been in paid employment (in a skilled occupation) for at least 2 of the 3 years immediately before you apply.

Edited by JJV

If my current job description doesn’t say “Economist”, should I expect issues when claiming to be skilled therein? (I currently work in the shares and futures environment).

It becomes a bit tricky but I'll try to explain to the best of my abilities.

If you nominate Economist as your skilled occupation you need a skills assessment done by VETASSESS. They only look at your academic qualifications to determine whether it is comparable to an Australian bachelors degree. Work experience does not feature here.

Where work experience counts is in the basic requirements for some visa categories as per my previous post. Note that this could then be in any skilled occupation as per the Skilled Occupation List.

To sum up, it is possible for you to get a skills assessment as an Economist even though it might not be your current job. If you need to demonstrate Recent work experience it coulb be in:

Financial Investment adviser 3213-11

Financial Market dealer 3212-15 or

Futures trader 3212-13

Have a look at this link and scroll down to the relevant codes to see what is considered to form part of these jobs. The immigration authorities do take this into consideration in order to determine whether your current responsibilities are considered to be in a skilled occupation.

Hope I did not confuse you!

You didn't confuse me. You are MOST helpful. The 495 actually do look like a better option in my case. Although it's temporary, there are ways to get to permanent citizenship....

Do I get this right?

A "Regional Australia/Low Population Growth Metropolitan Area" includes for example Wagga wagga?

(My eldest brother lives there). That could off course make the whole immigration process a bit easier :-)

This is a bit confusing....

According to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...sponsorship.htm

you need to be sponsored by a state or territory. Obviously you need this sponsorship in order to get

a couple of points. My points currently look as follows:

Age 30

Nominated Skills Occupation 50

English Language Ability 20

Bonus Points (Afrikaans) 5

Total 105

So I clearly need the sponsorship-points to reach 110.

But you can only be sponsored after you've applied for this visa. Am I correct? How does that work then?

I'd be happy to apply for the 495, but I still want to know:

If my skills are on the SOL, what is the chance of not being nominated by a (regional) State or Territory? I know there are no guarantees, but I'm afraid of having to wait forever....

"If you nominate Economist as your skilled occupation you need a skills assessment done by VETASSESS. "

Where do I get hold of them? I know there are some details available on the immigration website, but all details are in Australia. Although I can post it there, isn't there a similar assessment body in SA?

"To sum up, it is possible for you to get a skills assessment as an Economist even though it might not be your current job. "

That’s great! But does this apply even to my situation - I've only been working for 1 year?

Unfortunately DIMA's website is on the blink right now so I can not dig for answers there. Where possible I'll try to answer some of them. Pippa (?) and others who went down the SIR route please chip in and help.

But you can only be sponsored after you've applied for this visa. Am I correct? How does that work then?
I found the following on South Australia's website "The applicant must meet all the DIMA criteria and must obtain Sponsorship from a participating State or Territory Government. Once sponsorship has been obtained, the applicant must then lodge their visa application under Subclass 495 with DIMA within twelve (12) months of receiving the sponsorship."
I'd be happy to apply for the 495, but I still want to know:

If my skills are on the SOL, what is the chance of not being nominated by a (regional) State or Territory? I know there are no guarantees, but I'm afraid of having to wait forever....

What is important is that your skills must be deemed to be in shortage by the particular State/Territory. If you get an employer to sponsor you the (much quicker) 457 route is always an option. Or.. within a year you'll have 2 yrs exp and the BN 137 visa becomes another option.
VETASSESS. Where do I get hold of them? I know there are some details available on the immigration website, but all details are in Australia. Although I can post it there, isn't there a similar assessment body in SA??
Unfortunately not.
"To sum up, it is possible for you to get a skills assessment as an Economist even though it might not be your current job. "

That’s great! But does this apply even to my situation - I've only been working for 1 year?

In general it applies to all Skilled Independent visa types. Just double check for SIR.

Hi IvdNest,

Adding to JJV's info- although you may qualify for a positive skills assessment based on your qualifications, the SIR visa may not be appropriate in your case at this point in time if you have only a total of one year work experience. The requirement for a 50pt occupation is at least 2 out of the previous 3 years. An employer- sponsored visa may be worth looking into (if you can find an employer that is), or student visa. Another option is a skill matching visa, which means your details are placed in a database that can be accessed by regional employers and state/territory govts. This can be a good option, but it often depends if your occupation is in demand in regional areas.

Regardless of which option you pursue, it is important to keep your long term goals in mind- that is, ensure you have an appropriate pathway planned out for permanent residence, and keep yourself updated as to your eligibility for the same.

Kind regards,

Fiona

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

"If you nominate Economist as your skilled occupation you need a skills assessment done by VETASSESS. "

Where do I get hold of them? I know there are some details available on the immigration website, but all details are in Australia. Although I can post it there, isn't there a similar assessment body in SA?

"

All of the assesment body contact details are on form 1121.pdf on the website.

It will be operational later today but here is what you want

VETASSES Vocational Education and training Assessment Services

Qualifications Assesment Unit

Level 4

478 Albert Street

EAST MELBOURNE VIC 3002

AUSTRALIA

VETASSES

PPO Box 2752

MELBOURNE VIC 3001

AUSTRALIA

Tel 61 3 9655 4801

Fax 61 3 9654 3385

www.vetassess.com.au

Hi Inge

Gaan kyk na hierdie post Skilled Independent Regional (495) vir meer info oor Skilled Independent Regional (SIR) visa.

Onderaan die post is 'n pdf attachment wat meer info het oor die SIR visa. Die post is spesifiek geskryf met die oog op Suid-Australië (spesifiek Adelaide, wat kwalifiseer as 'regional Australia'), maar die pdf attachment is van toepassing op alle regional areas in Oz.

Sover ek weet moet mens twee jaar ondervinding hê in die occupation wat jy nomineer vir SIR visa.

Aangesien jy 105 punte het, sal sponsorhip vanaf bv. Immigration South Australia (of enige ander provinsie/staat se sponsorship authority) vir jou automaties 10 punte byvoeg. Vir SIR het jy in totaal (saam met sponsorship punte) 'n minimum van 110 nodig. Jy sal 115 punte hê met state sponsorship, so dit behoort te werk.

Searh ook bietjie 'Skilled Independent Regional' of '495' op die forum - dit behoort ekstra info op te lewer.

:D

Edited by kangaroo

This whole thing is increadibly overwhelming....

Isn't it a better idea to use an (australian based) agent? Obviously it'll be more costly, but the more info I receive, the more I realize how little I know!!!!

What is the experience of other people?

Is there any way of getting a sponsorship while one is still in SA?

This feels totally crazy. I REALLY want to do my own visa, but there is so many things that I don't know...

Please explain to me the following:

I need 110 points to qualify for a 495. At this stage I have 105 points, so obviously I wouldn't submit my application untill I have a sponsor....?

And yet, in order to get the government to sponsor me, I have to submit my application....? Isn't that immigration suicide?

Then: I started registration for my English Language test, and didn't get past the question about which test to undergo - Academic / General. When I read some of the other letters on this site, it differed form visa to visa. One of the members also mentioned that they were contacted to take the Academic one - this AFTER their application were already lodged?

What "don't I get"? Isn't one suppose to supply ALL paperwork - including meds and language tests - when lodging the application?

This feels totally crazy. I REALLY want to do my own visa, but there is so many things that I don't know...

Please explain to me the following:

I need 110 points to qualify for a 495. At this stage I have 105 points, so obviously I wouldn't submit my application untill I have a sponsor....?

And yet, in order to get the government to sponsor me, I have to submit my application....? Isn't that immigration suicide?

Then: I started registration for my English Language test, and didn't get past the question about which test to undergo - Academic / General. When I read some of the other letters on this site, it differed form visa to visa. One of the members also mentioned that they were contacted to take the Academic one - this AFTER their application were already lodged?

What "don't I get"? Isn't one suppose to supply ALL paperwork - including meds and language tests - when lodging the application?

Hi IvdNest,

It can be confusing. Have you read DIMA's webpage regarding the 495 visa? (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/495/index.htm)

Regards,

Fiona

RMA 0638808

Gold Coast, Australia