1 Year and happy!

elleneo

Its official..we have been in Australia for one whole year!

Having never set foot in australia before we signed with migrat2oz on 14 february 2008. Our visa was granted 9 July 2009.

We arrived in Melbourne on 21 August 2009..wide-eyed and excited to finally be in Australia...Catz fetched us from the airport and helped us settle in which we are very grateful for :)

The "lucky country" was good to us from the get-go..2 weeks after arrival hubby got some contract work in from a fellow immigrant, giving us a little dollar-injection which made for a softer landing (paying R35 for a loaf of bread scares the poop out of you in the beginning)

We spent our first 6 weeks in a tiny apartment in St Kilda..we love it there, very arty and eccentric and who knows maby one day we will end up living there again.

On the advice of fellow immigrant we went to look at rentals in Point Cook..we were impressed by the new and clean feel of the place and its proximity to the cbd (23km), so we bought our first car (cash cheapie for $3000) we moved into a rental on 1 October in Point Cook ...got our little one (then 2 1/2) into a daycare and hubby got a job in essendon.

Once we got into the swing of things we bought another car (an outlander) so we could go on road trips and weekends away. My mom came for a 2 1/2 month visit from march till June..it was nice to see a familiar face and she was glad to see us happy and settling in.

In July I started doing a postgraduate diploma in legal practice..this is a 15 week course..aussie version of law school (PLT/practical legal training)...needed as part of the "conversion" exams in order to practice law here in oz., its lots of work and takes up most of my week..Little one is in daycare 3 days a week so i use that time to study.....in 2011 I have 3 subjects at UNI...which i decided to do at Melbourne University..very exciting times for me career-wise and Im hoping to start work(as a junior solicitor) June next year, all very motivating !

Now the end of the year is drawing near...my inlaws are visiting for 5 weeks in Dec/Jan and we cant wait to show them at least some of beautiful victoria and a little surprise...fopr the first time in 10 years my husband will have LEAVE!! wooohooo...he will be home the whole Dec to enjoy the time with his family!

We will be celebrating tonight...we have made friends here in Point Cook,tarneit and hoppers crossing (also immigrants) and visit regularly...going to dinner by zululand tonight. We also await the arrival of my best friend (and Godparents to our daughter) when their visa is granted ..hopefully early in the new year.

All in all we are very very happy...we still havnt hit the blues yet...maby we lucky and it never happens :hug:

Now some advice;

Enjoy all the simple(free) things that oz has on offer! (picnics, walks,daytrips)

Always remember why you made the move.

Never pass up an opportunity to meet new people.

There is no law that says you have to be friends with someone JUST because they are south african,,choose your friends!

Smile :angry2:

The area you decide to live in is the best area for you at that time.

Some aussies will shock you! some south africans will shock you! people in general are shocking!

Victoria is beautiful.

I love crows and magpies..in September living in Victoria is like living in an Alfred Hitchcock movie!

skype with family and friends, they appreciate it just as much as you do.

The aussies know how to make a good wine.

I cant believe its been a year.. cheers and here is to another 50 years of happy days in ozworld ....now Im off to go celebrate! Happy immigrating!

Glad to hear you guys have settled in so well!

Thanks for the post, and enjoy planning for your in-laws visit.

Chocolate

Hello Elleneo

I think you meant R35 not $35 for a loaf of bread and I know what you mean, that and R25 for a coffee was quite a shock in the beginning.

Glad to hear it's all good for you over there.

Michael

Ha ha...yip sorry...see..settling in so well I think in dollars ...well mostly :blush:

Aww your post made me grin like a goof! Well done on making it 1 year! I can't wait to get there and experience everything (good) that Aus has to offer, and also to try make the best of the bad that may come our way.

*cheers* Good luck for the next 50! :blush:

Congratulations again for "surviving" one whole year...

Thanks for a great kuier last night! See you guys soon :blush:

Wow, I can't believe a whole year has passed!

I'm so glad you guys are settled in nicely and happy.

I had to laugh at the Alfred Hitchcock reference, lol!

Good luck with your studies! I am quite keen to go back to varsity too, but that'll have to wait until end of next year I think.

Hope you have a nice, lazy Sunday arvo!

• 2 months later...

Archived