Our LSD Trip...

Russell

Hi to you all,

This post is directed more at those of you who are already living in Australia, more specifically those of you living in Melbourne and Adelaide. We are, leave-approval depending, planning our trip from 25 April to 12 May. At this stage our initial thinking is visit the following cities and in the following order:

Sydney ------>Brisbane------>Melbourne??/Adelaide??----->Perth

Obviously we would really like to visit every single city but obviously time and money are limited. To make our time there worthwhile we would need to spend at least spend 3 days in each city to get a feel for the place. The toss up between us at this stage is to visit either Melbourne or Adelaide or both. That leads me to our second question:

How long will it take us to drive to/from Melbourne from/to Adelaide? Is a drive worthwhile or is time better spent spending longer in either city Is it easier said than done? Looking at a map it looks to be around 700 km which means a 7/8 hour drive - is this right? Is the drive scenic?

Many thanks

Russell and Mandy

Russell and Mandy, the drive can be extremely scenic and is actully known as the most scenic drive in Australia - The Great Ocean Road. :lol: However by all acccounts it takes a while to do - a bit like driving from Cape Town to PE along Chapman's Peak drive. :blink: (OK maybe not as bad, but along the same lines). This route is around 10 hours is you just drive ( the speed limit is 110 km and they are very strict), but most people would do it in 2 or 3 days to see all the sights. To be honest, maybe your time will be better spent doing research and homework around the places you really want to live and leave the tourist things for later... Melbourne and Adelaide are very very different places, I would say visit both. My husband took the Overland train from Melbourne to Adelaide when he was on his LSD trip. It's an overnight trip if you do it that way and you can book a seat or a cabin - see here: http://www.railaustralia.com.au/overland.htm

Flights are also very cheap between the two cities :huh:

PS: in my opinion, 3 days in a city is not rally enough to base a life-changing decision on, but it will give you at least some idee of what to expect. I would suggest doing a lot of other research as well about each city - find out as much as you can. :)

Hi Russell and Mandy

I absolutely agree with Annette, spending a day on the road is not really worth it if you have limited time. Rather fly and use the time to do more research on the cities.

If there is anything that I can assist you with in Melbourne, please feel free to ask.

If you're not fussed about the scenery you can do the drive in one day although it will be VERY tiring and leave little time for toilet stops along the way - and still take more than 10 hours. (Also, in my opinion it would be a waste just driving past all those magnificent views!) I'd rather fly and save myself the trouble if I were you. You can always do that trip, taking your time, once you live in Oz! :ilikeit:

Points taken, and everyone quite right.

Thank you all for the valued comments.

Regards

Russell