Living Costs

MonicaH

Hello

I would just like to know from people already living in Sydney what the living costs would be.

Would a salary of $60 000 a year be enough for a family of 4 on a 457 visa initially.

Would appreciate your input on this.

Thanks

Monica

Hi Monica,

I guess it would also depend on how old your kids are. We survived (albeit barely) on a salary of $45 000 but were on PR and did therefore not pay any school fees. We also were registered with Medicare and Centrelink and got a fortnightly payment for Family Assistance and Rental Assistance, which, if I'm correct you'd not be eligible for if you're here on 457. But then again, the $60 000 is higher than the $45 000 and that could make up for the fact that you don't get the things we could on PR.

If thousands of Australians can you will to.

I wont lie I think it would be tough ( no idea what Sydney prices are like but I think rentals etc are more than Perth)?? But anything is do-able if you set your mind to it, maybe you could work part time etc to help out?

I think it's going to very very tight on $60K. If you have two school going kids you might have to pay the school fees which could be anything from $9000-$11000 a year. There are alternatives though, you may be able to apply for an exemption, or perhaps send them to catholic school where I have heard they could be prepared to work out a cheaper tutition. Perhaps look on real estate websites and check where you would live to get a fair idea of what rentals would cost you.

Candice

I have been living in Sydney for the last 14 months. We are a family of four and I would never survive here on 60K.

Diveup

Im not sure but isnt NSW one of the states where you dont pay international student fees in state schools?

If you could manage to not pay school fees you would manage..you would however have to be very frugle..buy a cheap car and watch your spending...it is above average income..but sydney is pricey...I doubt you will starve though..the pay is enough to get by if you were in Melbourne..I cant guarantee Sydney -wise though.

Thanks for the replies.

Our daughter is 13 and we also have a baby of 9 months.

The school fees for NSW is 4500 a year and payable upfront.

Which areas would you recommend in Sydney?

Like everyone has said, school is the biggest factor as temporary visa holders pay fees in public schools. One great option is to get them into the local catholic schools (catholicism is a preference, not a requirement)which are much cheaper (around $1200 vs $9000 per year for two children!). My kids are in public school but we paid with savings for the first couple of years till we were reseidents. Our starting salary when we landed was $65k and we

managed, but had a second income after 3 months. I'd strongly recommend that if you can manage it, even if only part time. You don't want to be struggling every month for two years.

Get the employer to agree to sponsor PR after 2 years max (you might be eligible sooner, PM me and I'll advise?) and have a two year plan, but I'd sY grab the offer and get here! Rather struggle a little financially initially than have tragic regrets in the future.

Ajay

Thanks for the replies.

Our daughter is 13 and we also have a baby of 9 months.

The school fees for NSW is 4500 a year and payable upfront.

Which areas would you recommend in Sydney?

I see your 457 carpet is being pulled out from you there in Tasmania. In that case, I would take the Sydney job. 60k will be very tight in Sydney. It is do able but, you will have to be very sharp. You might need to look at part time work, even if it is just from home. You will also have to plan your choice of affordable schools with military precision, so too the area you can afford to stay in. It obviously depends where your husbands new work is based.

With that info we might be able to suggest areas and schools to look into, or any other trick we know to stretch your $.

$60K alone would be hard but don't forget about the Centrelink benefits which would push it to over $80K because you're well below the $70K barrier.

Archived