Frenchs Forest

sunshine123

Hi all

Would like to know if anyone out there has any opinions they can offer about Frenchs Forest as an area to live?

We are family of 4 - two young daughters who need a good school - husband will most probably work in The Rocks.

We are currently looking at Hills Area and all the others that are usually suggested on this forum, but I thought I would like to check out other possibilities too. I know Frenchs Forest has been mentioned as an area for newbies to look at, but I would like to have a more in depth opinion if possible?

Could anyone offer opinion about the suburb of Frenchs Forest and all the surrounding suburbs, the proximity to CBD vs an area like Castle Hills or Cherrybrook, good schools in the area, etc?

Would really appreciate any input! :(

Hi all

Would like to know if anyone out there has any opinions they can offer about Frenchs Forest as an area to live?

We are family of 4 - two young daughters who need a good school - husband will most probably work in The Rocks.

We are currently looking at Hills Area and all the others that are usually suggested on this forum, but I thought I would like to check out other possibilities too. I know Frenchs Forest has been mentioned as an area for newbies to look at, but I would like to have a more in depth opinion if possible?

Could anyone offer opinion about the suburb of Frenchs Forest and all the surrounding suburbs, the proximity to CBD vs an area like Castle Hills or Cherrybrook, good schools in the area, etc?

Would really appreciate any input! :)

Hi all

Would really appreciate any input! :)

Hi,

Couple of collegues live in Frenchs Forest, and they're very happy there - fairly close (about 10-15 mins) drive to the beaches, and good schools form what they're saying. One drawback however, public transport is limited. One of the guys is working in the CBD, and he drive to a spot close to a train station, park the car in the street, and then take the train. Sometimes cycle in as well.

I can send my mob no if you'd like to have more info.

Very kind of you slingshot, thanks!

Husband is arriving in October and me in November, and the time is coming very close for us, and I'd really like to make a good decision as to where to live.

Public transport might be a bit of a problem - I am not sure if we are intitially only going to have one car or not.. so husband might have to make use of public transport.

This type of info is invaluable - I would never know about things like public transport, so thank you!

By the way, do you perhaps know anything about Winston Hills (on the other side, I know, but I've just come across it and was wondering!)

Slingshot - how does Frenchs Forest compare to those areas more inland (Baulkham hills), Castle hills etc....in terms of schools and public transport?

The rentals seem cheaper....

Thanks, my family is roughly heading the same areas and times as Sunshine123.

Sunshine -

I'm using http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au for a full list, then using http://www.myschool.edu.au/ to check how they rate and then look at their website to see what they offer....

My brothers' sister in law just moved to Melbourne from NZL. She said i'd want to look at the following:

If they offer aftercare / holiday care (if this is necessary)

If they offer an enrichment program "encourages students with specific talents to further extend their learning."

Canteen,

recovery programmes (if kids battle with certain areas),

music,

sport,

LOTE (Language other than English) as this is personal preference - some offer mandarin, some offer European languages, Japanese etc...

their policies on various issues, like bullying, discipline etc

However, I must admit I put a lot of worth on the website....

Keep the info coming....

J

We live in Frenchs Forest and I made use of the public transport to get to work for the first 6 months. You would have to take a bus to Chatswood station and then get on the train from there. Frenchs Forest mostly has older houses (although you will find some newer ones) and we find the rental rather expensive for what we are actually getting. The plus is the proximity to the beaches. We were looking into moving the the Hills recently and the houses there are much more modern for a significantly lower rental.

+1 for what SANzOZ said. The Hills is a bit cheaper in rentals, houses are newer, but you are quite a bit further out in the Hills.

The areas Roseville, Forestville, French's forest, and Beacon Hill all fall along Warringah Rd, which is one of the two main arterials between the Northern Suburbs and the Northern Beaches. The other main arterial Eastwards is Mona Vale Road.

Most of the schools in the North shore area are fine imho.

Bussing it in from the coast - for instance Narrabeen / Collaroy on the Northern Beaches - will probably be about an hour to 1.25 hrs.

French's Forest and Forestville are good, middle-of-the-road areas. The houses are older and a bit more rustic - it isnt a newer suburb (like the hills or Kellyville). The traffic can pack up at the Roseville Bridge in peak times...

Also have a look at all the suburbs that line the North Shore rail route - Gordon, Pymble, Turramurra, Wahroonga - where you will find larger blocks, etsablihsed and greened suburbs, fairly good schools, and acceptable rentals - a bit similar to Forestville - but the nicer parts of these suburbs are MUCH nicer than Forestville imho.

It also depends on wether you can stagger your working hours - travelling by car out of peak isnt a big problem, provising you can get access to parking.

Good luck!

We are just the other side of Seaforth in Balgowlah. The rental prices are quite steep on the Northern Beaches for what you get compared to the Hills type area but we weighed that up against the proximity of the sea and harbour beaches. We spend a lot of time on Manly beachfront or Clontarf reserve with the kids - it's lovely here :blink:

Schooling - My 6 yr old goes to Balgowlah Heights Public School - great little school, she learns Japanese & Science as well as the 3'R's. Dance, sport and music class as part of the normal school day. They also have a good OOSH (out-of-school-hours) care from 07:30 - 09:00 & 15:00 - 18:30 daily.

Commuting - Argh! No Train Line, buses are ok - better if you can get to a stop where you can catch a limited stop bus but they can be very crowded. If DH is going to be in the Rocks maybe bus to Manly Wharf and then the ferry would be an option. We drive - DH works in Sydney Olympic Park which is MILES away and I need to be flexible for the kids. The other day it took me 1/2 hour to go 0.5km from Sydney Rd to the Spit bridge. Johannesburg all over again!

If you could find a suburb near a rail line that is a great option imo.

Thanks all for the replies.

Wishing and Waiting - Thanks, yes I have been using those two sites to look at the schools and also visit their websites - a lot of them look relatively similar - I suppose it's going to have to be a 'feeling' when you visit the school. The things you listed there to look at for every school - I absolutely go through their website and check on all those things - even the canteen menu and uniform price list! :blink:

Sounds a little like a weigh up between getting a little bit more for your money in the Hhills or being closer to the great beaches that Sydney has to offer - but then experiencing a bit of a hassle with public transport from time to time.

It's very hard never having seen any of these places - it's easy to know once you've seen it whether you have a good 'feeling' about it and whether it would suit you.

All these 'feelings'! :D

For those who already live in those areas - it would be so great if you could post some pictures on the forum from your areas. Everything from the local park, the streets, the schools, the houses, the shops! I'm sure you can all remember how it felt to still be on this side and wondering! :D

For those who already live in those areas - it would be so great if you could post some pictures on the forum from your areas. Everything from the local park, the streets, the schools, the houses, the shops! I'm sure you can all remember how it felt to still be on this side and wondering! :D

Hear hear........ :blink:

CTFamily - Is there a good high school in the Balgowlah Heights area? I did look at this primary school, but didn't come up with any high schools.... a bit more challenging to find a primary and secondary school I like in the same area.

J

Archived