SAA Special - AUSTRALIA to RSA

Enrica

SAA has a special valid for travel from now to the end of November

PERTH/JOBURG RETURN from A$ 1750.00

SYDNEY/JOBURG RETURN from A$1700.00 ......YIP cheaper than the Perth Joburg fare

Brisbane/Sydney /Joburg Return from A$ 1620.00....Yip even cheaper than Perth Joburg

Melbourne/Perth/Joburg Return from A$ 1500.00 ... Cheaper that Perth Joburg return

Adelaide/Perth/Joburg return from A$ 1500.00....Cheaper than Perth/Joburg return

All fares quoted are subject to seat availability at the time of reservation . Tickets must be booked no later than 31 Aug and paid for with in 3 day of reservation , but before the 31st August.

All rates are inclusive of departure taxes.

Melbourne/Perth/Joburg Return from A$ 1500.00 ... Cheaper that Perth Joburg return

I doubt we'll ever do the "mad dash from domestic to international" (or vice versa) again. :(

Unless of course, future price differences against V-Australia warrants this by significantly undercutting them. Melbourne direct to JHB works well for us.

-G

Thanks for always sharing..Just curious Erica, why does it cost so much more to fly from Oz to Sa and back? It seems weird that on the same carrier if you buy a ticket from SA to OZ and back that it is a lot less. Strange????

Thanks for always sharing..Just curious Erica, why does it cost so much more to fly from Oz to Sa and back? It seems weird that on the same carrier if you buy a ticket from SA to OZ and back that it is a lot less. Strange????

Get this... on V-Australia... flying the exact same days (just in opposite directions) return:

South Africa -> Australia -> South Africa (April 2011)

Total Price (including taxes and charges)

R18302.00 for 2 adults.

Australia -> South Africa -> Australia (April 2011)

Total Price (including taxes and charges)

$3803.50 for Adult, 1 toddler (75% rate)

At 6.55:1 rate - R24912.93

Almost $1000 cheaper for the 2 adults to fly here!

Bizarre. I now understand why my previous manager always bought return tickets from Germany to here. He goes back once a year, and just buys a new return ticket from there... Buy 3 get 1 Free!

-G

I know that it does not make sense , but I will try to explain. The stronger your economy , the higher your fares seem to be.

If you take the average min wage for a South African in 2009 per month ZAR 2474.00 ( Say Approx A$415.00 per month!!!!) , The minimum wage for Australians was A$570.00 per week x 4 = A$ 2280.00 . Do you see where we are going?

Because it costs more to employ staff in Australia, parking fees (for their aircraft) for the airlines are more, loading fees, rentals etc ect, the fares will be more expensive.

To service aircraft etc is more expensive etc in Australia as opposed to South Africa. So whilst you live there , enjoy the cheaper fares because at the end of the day the state of the economy will only allow for X amount to be charged and paid. Its like buying an HP Cartridge in Indonesia were it cost a few dollars , but yet the same cartridge in South Africa or Australia is 3 times the amount.

The problem arizes when a relatively poor country country can no longer afford to pay for landing fees, fuel etc etc because their own currency is worthless , as in the example of Kenya , then fares become calculated in US$ . Johannesburg /Nairobi is zar 3800.00 - the same fare Nairobi to Johannesburg is USD 549= ZAR 4040.00.

You need to bear in mind that the average South Africa cannot afford to even buy that airticket, even just to Durban, where the average Australian Can.

Example : Johannesburg/Durban is 323 flown miles and cost average ZAR300 oneway ( excluding taxes oneway on SAA)

Sydney/Melbourne is 456 flown miles and cost average A$ 108.00 (Excluding taxes oneway on Qantas )

The South African would spend an average of 12% of their monthly wage

The Australian would spend an average of 4.73% of their monthly wage

Difficult to understand I know, but the cost of living ( or so they say is cheaper in SA) therefore your fares are cheaper .

We earn more, so we pay more. I hope that helps.

Regards

Enrica

..ok..sounds great- excuse my ignorance, :blush: but would one be able to arrange your flights from OZ to South Africa in South Africa rather? Would that still be cheaper?

If I book my flights from here in Oz to South Africa via Flight centre SA? :blush:

..ok..sounds great- excuse my ignorance, :blush: but would one be able to arrange your flights from OZ to South Africa in South Africa rather? Would that still be cheaper?

If I book my flights from here in Oz to South Africa via Flight centre SA? :blush:

As you are based in Australia and travel originates in Australia, you pay the Australian Fare . So even if you want buy the ticket from Flight Centre in South Africa, it is the Aussie fare converted into South African Rands. Kind of defeats the object! There is no way around it.

You could buy a 1 way from Australia to RSA. Then buy a return ticket from South Africa to Australia, but that will only be worth your while if you travel to South Africa at least one a year.

Get this... on V-Australia... flying the exact same days (just in opposite directions) return...

How do you book a return flight on V-Australia with Joburg as the origin?

How do you book a return flight on V-Australia with Joburg as the origin?

Hi MalJohann

http://www.vaustralia.co.za/ at the top is the field to change the country of origin.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Archived