Medical Aid for PR Visa Holders

clairebear

Hi,

How do you go about getting the Medicare if you are on a PR Visa once you arrive?

I arrive in December and am wanting to know how I go about getting it.

Does any one know if my fiance who is coming over on a spouse visa would be covered with medicare?

is there perhaps a website where I can just have a look see?

Medicareaustralia.gov.au

This is the State run medical service. It is available to all citizens and PR holers in Australia. There areoffices all over Australia. It does not cover everything and you may wish to get additional cover from a health insurance company, like Medibank. The cover is almost entirely up to you.

There are tax implications if you decide not to take out private cover. This is dependent on your taxable income. The topic has been covered on the forum before.

Clairebear you just go to your nearest Medicare office and register with your passport and a proof of address - they even accepted our hotel bill with the hotel's address. We changed it when we found a rental. It's easy as!

Yes, your fiance can go on Medicare with their spouse visa. Because the spouse visa is a provisional visa (it is not Temporary nor permanent) their card is a different colour (a light-blue one I think) but other than that, he will have the same benefits as your green Medicare card.

Thanks for all the replies!

My fiance and I leave in for good in just over 4 months, my parents and sister are coming over with us but they will be returning to SA to try and sell the house before they move to Perth so I wanna know as much as I can before I leave.

Thanks for all the replies!

My fiance and I leave in for good in just over 4 months, my parents and sister are coming over with us but they will be returning to SA to try and sell the house before they move to Perth so I wanna know as much as I can before I leave.

Claire!

Are you going to Australia on the strength of your parent's visa, or are you going independently.

If you're entering Australia as a dependent of your parents, I don't think that your fiance would qualify for PR (and, therefore, access to Medicare) unless they'd also been included as a dependent of your parents.

If however, you are going in as an independent person, doing your own visa application and applying yourself under one of the visa categories, such as "skilled migrant", etc. then you would be entitled to sponsor your fiance to migrate to Australia, possibly.

There are so many things to take into consideration with getting into Australia that you can't take much for granted.

Just because you're coming to Australia in one way or another doesn't mean that others, even in your family, are allowed to stay in Australia for good.

I recently heard of an Australian bloke married to an American for 10 years now, and living in America, hasn't been able to get his wife to come into Australia because she has a lot of health problems. The Australian gov't isn't interested in paying for her health costs in future years so has denied an Australian spouse visa.

You can't take anything for granted nowadays.

Hi Bob,

My mom, dad and I all have PR Visas which expire in 2013. I applied for a spouse visa for my fiance which was granted in March. My fiance and I have to be living and be married in Aus by Jan 2011. So we are all going over in Dec, my fiance and I are getting married in Perth in Dec and then we travel to Brisbane for a holiday to see my moms family. Once we are married and have a place to rent we will then apply for the second part of his visa which can only be applied for once we are married and living in Perth. We return to Perth to get my fiance and I settled. My parents and sister then return home to sell the house, its been on the market since March but no luck in selling. Once the house is sold my parents and sister will then come over. My sister has been to see an agent and he has said that she would qualify for the last remaining relative visa.

My parents and sister have another meeting with the agent with we used to renew our visas some time in the near future so I will get them to clarify any thing that I am not sure on.

Clairebear

Are you sure your fiance has a Subclass 309 Partner visa and not a Subclass 300 Prospective marriage visa? - The class number of the visa will be shown on the visa label and on the visa grant letter.

The PARTNER visa does not require that you get married. This visa is for PARTNERS (not Fiance's) of Australian citizens or Permanent residents. Partners = legally married spouses (de jure partners) or people in a marriage-like relationship (de facto partners). Since it is a visa for people who are already married it does not make sense to have such a requirement.

The PROSPECTIVE MARRIAGE visa however requires you to get married within the visa's 9 month validity period.

If he has the prospective marriage visa he wont be able to join Medicare upon arrival (you can with a PARTNER visa though). You can only join Medicare after you are married and have applied for the PARTNER visa. (I think this is the "second part of the visa" you referred to in your earlier post - the Prospective marriage visa being the first part).

This is what the immigration website says : With this visa you may use Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare, but only if you are in Australia and have already applied for a Partner visa.

it must be a prospective marriage visa as we have to be married within 9 months of the visa being granted.

I am not a dependant on my parents PR Visas, On the first visas we had my mom was the main applicant and we couldnt go without her but when we had them renewed there was no stipulation of that kind

Clairebear.

In that case I believe I have answered your original question about your fiance's Medicare eligibilty in my previous post.

You can confirm this on the Medicare website by clicking here. This link explains who is eligible to join Medicare.

Thanks Willem. I feel like I have 300 things going thru my head each day!!

Will have a look at that website.

Archived