Moving over - before family or with family?

Gee

Hi all,

My family and I have our PR's and are planning to move to Melbourne around Dec07/Jan 08.

Our question and issue that is bugging us at present is around me getting work.

Essentially, should I come over before my family and get work?

or

Should we go over as a family unit and then I look for work?

I am in IT where I have good Business Analysis and Management Consulting skill sets.

I realise this is a difficult one to answer as both options have some major positives and negatives which I've seen discussed on one of the forums.

It's just that we hear many opinions from various people and its quite frustrating as just when we think we have made the right choice someone else states the other route is better.

It would really be appreciated if we could hear from other forumites as to which option they took above , why they did and the positives around it ( & possible negatives that may have surfaced).

I really believe its best to hear straight from people who are in Australia now instead of from people whio have not migrated.

Any inputs would be so welcome

cheers

Gavin

Edited by Gee

Hi all,

My family and I have our PR's and are planning to move to Melbourne around Dec07/Jan 08.

Our question and issue that is bugging us at present is around me getting work.

Essentially, should I come over before my family and get work?

or

Should we go over as a family unit and then I look for work?

I am in IT where I have good Business Analysis and Management Consulting skill sets.

I realise this is a difficult one to answer as both options have some major positives and negatives which I've seen discussed on one of the forums.

It's just that we hear many opinions from various people and its quite frustrating as just when we think we have made the right choice someone else states the other route is better.

It would really be appreciated if we could hear from other forumites as to which option they took above , why they did and the positives around it ( & possible negatives that may have surfaced).

I really believe its best to hear straight from people who are in Australia now instead of from people whio have not migrated.

Any inputs would be so welcome

cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin

I'm in much the same position as you, and consider a thrid option, trying to get a job from Cape Town before moving over. PM me for the names of some of the recruitment agents in Melbourne as I was there on an LSD in November 2006 and some of them were quite helpful as long as you knew when you were arriving.

Kiffoke

Hi Gavin

For us, there was absolutely no question, we were in this together, we would do it together! So we arrived together and looked for jobs together!

However, different strokes for different folks, everyone has a different set of circumstances.

I think if hubby is in Australia on his own, then he is going to find it difficult to focus on finding a job if he is constantly worrying about his loved ones still in SA. God forbid that something should happen to them whilst he is here on his own, he would never forgive himself!

If the family is a large one, it could be quite expensive to live in furnished accommodation and pay for everything with Rands whilst you wait to start earning Dollars. There are various options though, so this area would need to be researched thoroughly.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, I think it really depends on the circumstances of each individual.

Sorry, but there is no easy answer!

I really believe its best to hear straight from people who are in Australia now instead of from people who have not migrated

I don't fall in the response category that you want to hear from but do believe that you may benefit from my ex-neighbour's advice/experience.

When we visited them during our trip to Oz last year we discussed this topic at length. He went across on his own, stayed with friends initially and started looking for a job. Once he secured a job his wife was burdened with the whole process of selling the house, organise the move and all the usual wrapping up of affairs.

I saw how she suffered during those two months trying to do everything on her own with her husband 11000 km away!

Their advice is to only do it this way if you don't have another option.

A lot depends on your circumstances. I had a 8 month old child and my wife had no intention of working for first few cyears so we had our container packed and shipped then went to the coast and spent a couple of weeks with my retired parents to say goodbye, back to JHB stayed with other family, I then went ahead, found a place to stay, got everything going in terms of telephone, bank account, bought a car, water and lights, container arrived unpacked it then went back to SA celebrated my Dads 80th Birthday with whole family and we left a few days later on one way tickets.

Benefits, stress free move for wife and baby, not having to camp in unfurnished place on borrowed stuff while waiting for container or having expense of hotels etc. were able to say goodbye while staying with family in SA.

negatives, extra cost of one return flight, was not able to find job in the time i was there but on the positive as soon as I got back i did not have to worry about anything else and could concentrate solely on finding a job.

One thing I learned from the exercise, the first week you arrive in Australia you can get a bank account etc without having to use 100 points for ID purposes so passport is sufficient, after the week is up you need 100 points, when my wife arrived we didnt immediatly get her signing power on the bank account did it 8 days later with the week up she needed to produce 100 points ( passport, medicare card and an account in her name which we did not have) so if you stager this then make sure as soon as wife arrives go to bank and open her account / give her signing powers.

If i were to do it again that is the way i would do it of course your wife has to trust you to find accomodation that she would be happy with, it did make the move stress free for me.

I must mention here or reiterate that our house was sold and container had left when i came over so family in SA merely stayed for convienience as we stil had a support group in SA and did not know anyone in Oz, personally I would not have left her to sell and pack on her own.

best of luck

Edited by DesV

I would not have left her to sell and pack on her own

This seems to run like a golden thread through most of the postings on this topic.