looking to network - advertising and marketing

wcj

Hi Guys.

We are seriously considering Tasmania and I am wanting to network with any advertising or marketing professionals to get a snap shot on opportunities and the market environment in Tasmania - anyone got any referrals or leads?

As an overview: Currently I am the Business Unit Director managing the Cape Town office of Grey World Wide in South Africa. I am a advertising and marketing professional with some near 20 years experience. Formal training as a fine artist and graphic designer, hands on creative agency work as freelancer and then owner of a small independent advertising and design studio. Repositioned into the business side of the industry having worked in the client service role for the last 10 years in a mixture of independent and large multi-national advertising agencies. Have worked across a wide cross section of categories from sport, tourism, government, pharmaceuticals, FMCG, retail and into mobile technologies and most recently almost 5 years working on alcohol, managing 5 global brands in the Southern African markets. Very comprehensive experience in ATL, BTL and working on full TTL accounts, with extensive experience in TVC management and production. A additional special interest and passion is digital, social media and all that is changing the landscape of our communications world.

Appreciated

Wayne.

I am just going to take a punt here, but I think in your field opportunities would be fairly scarce in Tasmania. Your best bet would be either Sydney or Melbourne.

Why not do a job search on www.seek.com.au and see what comes up.

Also, you can do a search on www.yellowpages.com.au to see how many advertising agencies there are in Tasmania.

I am just going to take a punt here, but I think in your field opportunities would be fairly scarce in Tasmania. Your best bet would be either Sydney or Melbourne.

Why not do a job search on www.seek.com.au and see what comes up.

Also, you can do a search on www.yellowpages.com.au to see how many advertising agencies there are in Tasmania.

Hi Mara

Thanks. You are correct but I do really like Tassie and dearly want to make it work! Also with the new SOL Sydney is not on - Melbourne is a long shot only if the Vic state lists include the relevant skills........

Regards

Wayne.

Wayne - I am a marketing professional of about the same age as you (20 years or so experience) and I live in Brisbane.....I am inclined to agree with Mara - you will need to be in Sydney or Melbourne..... If your heart is set on Tassie, then there is nothing wrong with using your business experience to move into a more general business management opportunity. Decide your priorities and then make the judgement call....

For me, I did the Jhb corporate thing, and now with a family, I needed some balance to invest in my child.....so I have choosen specifically NOT to move to Sydney, chose Brisbane instead...... there is PLENTY of opportunity here, I am just more generalised, and I get just as much satisfaction from my work (AND life/family balance).

Good Luck with your quest !

Wayne - I am a marketing professional of about the same age as you (20 years or so experience) and I live in Brisbane.....I am inclined to agree with Mara - you will need to be in Sydney or Melbourne..... If your heart is set on Tassie, then there is nothing wrong with using your business experience to move into a more general business management opportunity. Decide your priorities and then make the judgement call....

For me, I did the Jhb corporate thing, and now with a family, I needed some balance to invest in my child.....so I have choosen specifically NOT to move to Sydney, chose Brisbane instead...... there is PLENTY of opportunity here, I am just more generalised, and I get just as much satisfaction from my work (AND life/family balance).

Good Luck with your quest !

Hi Nix

I sent a lengthy reply via the email link in your information profile - did it get to you?? Just checking as I am new to the forum and not sure of all the software features!!

Wayne.

Archived