Getting nailed by DIAC - now exploring Tasmania

wcj

Hi Guys.

An intro: We spent 5 years lining up a move to Aus and just as VetAssess was fiddling with my qualification verification DIAC imposed the processing suspension - 5 days before I was able to lodge. Not chuffed at all. And as Murphy would have it the new SOL dos not have my skills listed so until the State lists come out we are quite stuck. In the interim I have started looking about and I have to say that Tasmania has really caught my eye! We are very keen on Tasmania and looking for contacts or leads so that we can start networking - is anyone able to help/advise?

On the work side - I am an advertising and marketing professional of some near 20 years experience - from small independent to large multi-national agencies - currently managing the Cape Town office of Grey World Wide. On the family side - a family of 4 - Mom, Dad and 2 young daughters......please to meet you all!

Regards

Wayne.

hi Wayne, welome to the forum.

Its really horrible how these changes are throwing us around, like little goldfish in a plastic bag, from side to side...

good luck with the process!

Welcome to the forum. Good on ya for not giving up and exploring all options. All the best and hope we can be some assistance.

hi Wayne, welome to the forum.

Its really horrible how these changes are throwing us around, like little goldfish in a plastic bag, from side to side...

good luck with the process!

Hi Toitjie

Thanks for the reply - well - thanks EVERYONE! - I see in your progression at the bottom of your post that you are headed to ACT - that MAY still be an option for us if their state lists keeps graphic design on - what skill has done it for you?? How much insight do you have into ACT? Wold be great to get ideas as this could be our backup plan.

Wayne.

Gees! Nice to get such a great reception! Thanks guys.

Anyone have any leads or ideas o networking in advertising or marketing in Aus OR Tassie? Plus - any leads / contacts in Tasmania?

Greatly appreciated,

Wayne.

It will all depend on the ACT's state migration plan, but I got my State sponsorship from them on Personnel Consultant. If you go to their website, they still list their old list of occupations needed, maybe have a look and see if yours is there (there is obviously no guarantee that it would also be on the State migration plan, but I think the probability is high)

ACT is nice. I have been to Canberra and its exactly what we want. It a city, wiht all the city things that I like, (malls! he he he) but also small enough so that you dont have the hustle and bustle of a big city like Sydney. I felt a bit lost in Sydney. For me, with the focus on my 2 small children, Canberra met all my needs.

It will all depend on the ACT's state migration plan, but I got my State sponsorship from them on Personnel Consultant. If you go to their website, they still list their old list of occupations needed, maybe have a look and see if yours is there (there is obviously no guarantee that it would also be on the State migration plan, but I think the probability is high)

ACT is nice. I have been to Canberra and its exactly what we want. It a city, wiht all the city things that I like, (malls! he he he) but also small enough so that you dont have the hustle and bustle of a big city like Sydney. I felt a bit lost in Sydney. For me, with the focus on my 2 small children, Canberra met all my needs.

Thanks. I was on the old list so we are hoping that we will be on the new revised list! The immigration guys this side are expecting the new list 1st August....waiting. When are you guys hoping to actually get to Canberra or are you there already? Originally we were very excited about Canberra but this recent re-shuffle by DIAC has really thrown us. So close. If VetAssess had got their act together this would be another story completely - they took 6 months to verify my UCT qualifications!!! Enough moaning. I would appreciate staying in touch as it unfolds on your side?

Welcome to the forum! Always good to see a fellow UCT grad!

Don't give up, and have a look at State Sponsored. There are still plenty of Graphic Design positions advertised on SEEK.

Unfortunately I can't help out with Tassie, but there are a few people on the forum who live there. Have a look under the 'Communities' section under 'Hobart, TAS' and see if you can find any answers there.

All the best!

Welcome to the forum! Always good to see a fellow UCT grad!

Don't give up, and have a look at State Sponsored. There are still plenty of Graphic Design positions advertised on SEEK.

Unfortunately I can't help out with Tassie, but there are a few people on the forum who live there. Have a look under the 'Communities' section under 'Hobart, TAS' and see if you can find any answers there.

All the best!

Hi Michele

Thanks for the encouraging words! I will not give up. For us it is either Aus/NZ or Europe and we have been there / done that!!! Terrible.

Ya, after the reshuffle and new SOL lists I am discouraged though. We were so close. I am having a look at Tasmania as it may be a softer touch......not sure. We are at the point where "anywhere" is better than "nowhere" if you know what I mean? I have done two trips over and have had so many interviews/discussions etc etc etc etc.........and then when we got it lined up VetAssess sank it. Hmmmmmmm. But you are right - keep going!!!! You seem to have an insight re: graphic design on SEEK - in the industry at all?

I have checked out you lead under communities and have posted already - thanks!

Regards

Wayne.

Thanks. I was on the old list so we are hoping that we will be on the new revised list! The immigration guys this side are expecting the new list 1st August....waiting. When are you guys hoping to actually get to Canberra or are you there already? Originally we were very excited about Canberra but this recent re-shuffle by DIAC has really thrown us. So close. If VetAssess had got their act together this would be another story completely - they took 6 months to verify my UCT qualifications!!! Enough moaning. I would appreciate staying in touch as it unfolds on your side?

ACT wont release their SMP before 1 September, unfortunately its not 1 August anymore (due to the elections)

We are hoping to firstly be on the ACT SMP, then get the visa still within this year (ha ha ha) and then go over sometime next year. A bit optimistic, but hey, you have got to be!

you are welcome to PM me, I will send you my e-mail address

Hi Wayne,

welcome to Forum! We are based in Kingston, Tasmania-

PM me with whatever information you require....

Jackie

Hi Wayne,

welcome to Forum! We are based in Kingston, Tasmania-

PM me with whatever information you require....

Jackie

Hi Jackie

I sent a lengthy reply via the email link in your information profile - did it get to you?? Just checking as I am new to the forum and not sure of all the software features!!

Wayne.

Archived