RICE!!

MANDYBRENT

Hi All,

Just a quick one.

Don't get me wrong, I love this country and just about everything about it - all the new food and variety - GREAT!!

However, I have never in my life eaten such "yukky" rice - I have tried everything, including Sun Rice which is apparenty the best there is, as nothing comes even close to Tastic - any recommendations anyone.

It has become so bad, we eat stew, potjie, casserole, with bread or mash, because all of us can't stand the rice:-)

Mandi

Hi All,

Just a quick one.

Don't get me wrong, I love this country and just about everything about it - all the new food and variety - GREAT!!

However, I have never in my life eaten such "yukky" rice - I have tried everything, including Sun Rice which is apparenty the best there is, as nothing comes even close to Tastic - any recommendations anyone.

It has become so bad, we eat stew, potjie, casserole, with bread or mash, because all of us can't stand the rice:-)

Mandi

Here is the link to the "Great Rice Discussion"

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...hl=rice+cooking

Also keen on any suggestions.

We have tried about 3, all of which were not up to scratch so to speak.

Anyhoo we gave up and ordered Tastic online, not something i want to be doing on a regular basis.

We buy brown rice, tastes nice, just don't overcook it. :)

Mandi

I am informed by the chief cook that we use SUN rice, BUT only the VITARICE which looks cooks and tastes like Tastic.

It is not alway available. We get it at Coles and Woolworths, but in limited quanities)

If you are in Brisbane on the north side at the Pick n Pay centre the spice shop at the entrance near Albany Creek road keeps Tastic

Hi Mandi

I've also struggled with the rice when we've first landed in Oz.

I know there is some people that don't like Uncle Bens rice, but I have found that it works the same as tastic for me, and it tastes almost the same. You can either buy the box with 4 packets in. The instructions to cook is real easy. Or you can just buy the small packet and use the same as tastic (example: 1 cup rice, 2 cups water). It works for me, and I've never had mushy rice ever again.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Telanie

Thanks Everyone for your replies and advice - I will try a bit of all that was suggested and let you know how we go.

Gotta love this forum

MWAH XOX

I am informed by the chief cook that we use SUN rice, BUT only the VITARICE which looks cooks and tastes like Tastic.

My wife says the reason she thinks it is the same is that TASTIC is parboiled, and so is this SUN VITARICE

Archived