Travel insurance for going to RSA

Jordy

We are going back to South Africa for our first visit since arriving almost 2 1/2 years ago. My credit card doesnt offer travel insurance. I am with Westpac.

I have check www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au ($270 for a family) and www.cheaptravelinsurance.com.au ($234) and www.sgio.com.au ($585).

Any other recommendations? Who did you use?

Hi Jordy,

Try Medibank - 10% discount if you're a member. Their prices look okay, but obviously it depends on the length of the trip. AAMI is also worth a try.

Hope you have a fab holiday.

Patty

Can I add a question, please Jordy.... anyone had personal experience using travel insurance? I just want to make sure they actually would pay for a medi-clinic type hospital - and that one wouldn't have to end up going to a government hospital - can you just imagine that! :rolleyes:

I take a covermore travel policy out every year. I sell Covermore travel insurance to my clients when they travel, and I have never had a claim turned down. Assumming that if you have pre-exsisiting condition you have cover for that etc etc.

We took out insurance with QBE - my youngest son ended up in hospital for 2 days and they paid with no problems

Covermore = $359

QBE = $656

1Cover direct = $362

Medibank = $464

We have used insurance bought on line through "compare travel insurance" the cheapest options that cover medical up to a limit, airfares but travelling backpacker style because accomodation never had to be covered. both times we had to claim, once for doctors but not hospital. the doctor was paid for at the time of consultation and then we claimed when we got back to Aus. Both times the claims were covered in full. They did question the police statement which was a scrap piece of paper with a SAP stamp on it but once I explained that this is all you get when you report a theft they did not complain and just paid.

Penny

Take Note:

Some insurance co's exclude claims if you're in your own country of citizenship or if your trip does not originates from your country of citizenship.

Take Note:

Some insurance co's exclude claims if you're in your own country of citizenship or if your trip does not originates from your country of citizenship.

What do you do if you are citizens of both countries?

I booked using credit card and I know the cover was very limited but luckily nothing happened. I booked with V Australia and they recommmended a partner insurance company as well at time of booking.

Take Note:

mmm, I'd better check that out very well, as we will go back once a year for the kids to visit their father - BUT we bought return tickets from SA when we moved over here in the first place, because it is cheaper to fly SA-AUS-SA than it is AUS-SA-AUS! We just fly back just before the 1 year expires, and come back home again with the next set of return tickets. So our travel insurance will be for the country where our flight originated from. :lol:

Think I will start looking for insurance a month before we fly :ilikeit:

mmm, I'd better check that out very well, as we will go back once a year for the kids to visit their father - BUT we bought return tickets from SA when we moved over here in the first place, because it is cheaper to fly SA-AUS-SA than it is AUS-SA-AUS! We just fly back just before the 1 year expires, and come back home again with the next set of return tickets. So our travel insurance will be for the country where our flight originated from. :P

Think I will start looking for insurance a month before we fly :holy:

Good morning NotLookingBack,

We are in the same position (tickets booked ZA-AU-ZA) and also we are still on 457 visa. My company has a corporate policy with CoverMore and this entitles me to travel insurance for personal travel for up to 6 weeks, so this is a real bonus. :lol:

Keep in mind that for those on a 457 visa:

Travel insurance is not a straightforward thing;

1. Tickets / holiday expenses paid for by your Oz credit card gives travel insurance, however the conditions state that you have to be an Australian Resident! (So that leaves 457s out)

2. I booked our tickets with my ABSA credit card. The travel insurance on this policy is valid for 3 months (from memory).

3. MANY travel insurance companies do not provide cover to non-residents of Oz.

4. Check the conditions of your private health insurer. We are with IMAN and they only cover us while we are in Oz, however you apply for a claim when you get back, and they credit your monthly premium pro-rata for the period you are abroad. This then compensates for the additional cost of travel insurance.

PS. Going home in September '10 to see friends and family. REALLY looking forward to it as I want to see if we can spend some time in the majestic northern Drakensberg. :lol: :lol: Praying that we won't be running into any :whome:

Regards,

Tyrone

1. Tickets / holiday expenses paid for by your Oz credit card gives travel insurance, however the conditions state that you have to be an Australian Resident! (So that leaves 457s out)

Not all credit cards have this benefit. The platinum version of mine does but not the card I have.

We are going back to South Africa for our first visit since arriving almost 2 1/2 years ago. My credit card doesnt offer travel insurance. I am with Westpac.

I have check www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au ($270 for a family) and www.cheaptravelinsurance.com.au ($234) and www.sgio.com.au ($585).

Any other recommendations? Who did you use?

I used www.cheaptravelinsurance.com.au. Can't comment really as I luckily didn't have any issues/claims. They are underwritten by Lloyds though. Cheapest by far!

Archived