COLES...booklet....

EricaC

Every night I see that TV ad with that celeb Chef (name slipped my mind now) advertising that little Coles booklet on recipes on feeding a family

of 4 for under $10? I am thinking 4 mice maybe.....can this be done - has anyone picked up one of those booklets and tried any of those recipes??

Have noticed the food prices going up steadily - yes, it is global - so anyway we can keep food bills down does help..... :ilikeit: I have just never bothered

collecting one - will give it a try soon.....to see if it can be done..... :ilikeit:

Erica

Fooooooood. Nyom nyom nyom nyom… :ilikeit:

The Chef if Curtis Stone if I'm not mistaken.

Haven't tried the $10 thingys, but the chicken parma and sweet/sour cabbage does look interesting. Might give it a shot!

Every night I see that TV ad with that celeb Chef (name slipped my mind now)

Mmmm, Curtis Stone... never forget his name... he's pretty yummy himself!!

As far as I know its a different recipe card every week or however often, not a booklet, they have them lying on the check-out counter at the Coles I shop at.

Fooooooood. Nyom nyom nyom nyom… :ilikeit:

The Chef if Curtis Stone if I'm not mistaken.

Haven't tried the $10 thingys, but the chicken parma and sweet/sour cabbage does look interesting. Might give it a shot!

Yip, that's him...Curtis. HansaPlease.....give it a go - and let us know... :ilikeit: Remember it has to feed 4 hungry tummy's. Cannot try that recipe as hubby and

kids HATE cabbage....I however like it....so you are appointed as our Tester!!

Erica

Mmmm, Curtis Stone... never forget his name... he's pretty yummy himself!!

As far as I know its a different recipe card every week or however often, not a booklet, they have them lying on the check-out counter at the Coles I shop at.

I know Eva - they are always right there!! I honestly think it cannot be done.....hence never tried......yip, he is rather 'dishy'..... :ilikeit:

Erica

Yip, that's him...Curtis. HansaPlease.....give it a go - and let us know... :ilikeit: Remember it has to feed 4 hungry tummy's. Cannot try that recipe as hubby and

kids HATE cabbage....I however like it....so you are appointed as our Tester!!

I must admit though – I did look at it and think – chicken and cabbage, it’s not much of a meal – no wonder it’s 10 bucks, where’s the rest of it!

I must admit though – I did look at it and think – chicken and cabbage, it’s not much of a meal – no wonder it’s 10 bucks, where’s the rest of it!

:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit: As long as these recipes do not consist of horse meat...... :ilikeit: I will give it a go!!

Erica

Hi all

Have not tried the $10 meals yet but I did go onto the website www.coles-feed-your-family.com.au and tried the bolognaise with fettachini and garlic. It was a nice twist and it did feed our four hungry tummies and there was some left over. I think I am gonna try the beef stew tonight... All that I found was that the amount of salt was not enough and if you put some italian spices with it gives it more tase. I do recomend trying for yourself and experiment a little with your own spices and herb.

Will let you know what the beef stew was like.

Wilma

http://www.coles-feed-your-family.com.au/?...an-Beef-Skewers

I have done these beef skewers and they are great. It's supposed to go on the barbie, but we just grill it in the oven. I can imagine it being a great alternative meat at a BBQ. What I liked about it is that I normally have all the ingredients in my cupboards and it is pretty idiot proof. :ilikeit:

Great ideas for when you are stuck in a rut.

Haven't tried it either. Aussie friends have now convinced us to shop at the local Aldi. Not nearly as big a variety of brands etc as Woollies or Coles, BUT definitely cheaper. I buy a pack of chicken drumsticks ($3.50 or something for 7 or 8), and with some veggies and potatoes, we can definitely come in at $10 or under. They also now have a weekly menu in their specials pamphlet, with some interesting meals, they give the prices per serving, and it looks like that can also be under $10 per meal.

I do find that we eat much nicer and interesting here than we did in SA. Whether it is because of the variety of stuff you can buy at reasonable prices, or whether I am just more adventurous because it looks more affordable to be, I wouldn't know :).

Hi all

Have not tried the $10 meals yet but I did go onto the website www.coles-feed-your-family.com.au and tried the bolognaise with fettachini and garlic. It was a nice twist and it did feed our four hungry tummies and there was some left over. I think I am gonna try the beef stew tonight... All that I found was that the amount of salt was not enough and if you put some italian spices with it gives it more tase. I do recomend trying for yourself and experiment a little with your own spices and herb.

Will let you know what the beef stew was like.

Wilma

Hi Wilma

That beef stew sounds great - yip - please let us know what you thought!!! Need to give that pasta a try - SO glad someone has attempted it!!!

Erica

Haven't tried it either. Aussie friends have now convinced us to shop at the local Aldi. Not nearly as big a variety of brands etc as Woollies or Coles, BUT definitely cheaper. I buy a pack of chicken drumsticks ($3.50 or something for 7 or 8), and with some veggies and potatoes, we can definitely come in at $10 or under. They also now have a weekly menu in their specials pamphlet, with some interesting meals, they give the prices per serving, and it looks like that can also be under $10 per meal.

I do find that we eat much nicer and interesting here than we did in SA. Whether it is because of the variety of stuff you can buy at reasonable prices, or whether I am just more adventurous because it looks more affordable to be, I wouldn't know :).

I soooo agree NotLookingBack!! Those chicken drumstick are...HUGE!! I pay around $5 for 8 - and with spuds and veg - quiet right - about $10!! One CAN really eat well on a budget here.... :ilikeit:

Tuna bake - another cheapy - a jar of tuna bake is about $3 - Coles tin tuna (big one) is $2 add some cheese which one always has in the fridge and with some garlic bread maybe (3 pack at Coles for $2.50) and there's a filling meal for about $8!!!! And normally left overs.....

I personally find that we as a family have to start 'cutting back' on our spending.......one just needs to keep your eyes open for specials....so, so many if you look in the right places!! Just had to edit to add in......it's the bloody freezer section I have to avoid.....cheesecakes, sticky date puds, apple crumble...etc.. :)

Erica

Must agree with HansaPlease - those booklet meals do look very sparse......

..Just had to edit to add in......it's the bloody freezer section I have to avoid.....cheesecakes, sticky date puds, apple crumble...etc.. :)

Just keep going until you get to the frozen berries, that and two spoons of yogurt makes for a nice & healthy mid-arvo snack. :ilikeit:

Hi al

Change of plans. No beef stew tonight, I am gonna try the newest $10 recipe on the Coles-feed-your-family website. It is called Curtis' pink ling wrapped in crispy bacon with roasted root veggies.

Our closest Coles store is 55km, so I did the shopping at our local Woolies.

Recipe Ingredient + cost My costs and what I could find

2 meduim Parsnips - $2.36 2 meduim Parsnips - $3.02

1 Large carrot - $0.32 1 Large carrot - had some in the fridge

200g brussel sprouts - $1.00 300 g brussel sprouts - $1.60

2 cloves garlic - 0.21 garlic - got some crushed in the fridge

3 sprigs fresh thyme - 0.10 Thyme - could not find fresh so bought a bottle dried - $2.33

Olive oil - 0 olive oil - got in the pantry

salt & pepp - 0 salt & pepper - in the pantry

500g pink ling fillets - $5.00 could not find pink ling so got 4 Hoki fillets - $8.97

4 rashers middle bacon - $1.00 bacon - $3.27 for a packet of .218g/5 rashers

Total $10 (supose to be) My cost: $19.19

Will let you know how it turns out.

Hi all

I made the recipe yesterda. It did feed a family of 4 easily and was really filling. Just a pitty my family does not like brussel sprouts or fish very much. I really enjoyed the meal but did not get thumbs-up from hubby or the girls. Will have to try some more experimenting and hopefully find something that they all enjoy.

Wilma

Hi all

I made the recipe yesterda. It did feed a family of 4 easily and was really filling. Just a pitty my family does not like brussel sprouts or fish very much. I really enjoyed the meal but did not get thumbs-up from hubby or the girls. Will have to try some more experimenting and hopefully find something that they all enjoy.

Wilma

Aw Wilma - okay so a 5/10 maybe.... :unsure: At least you tried it now....ja man, experiment, always exciting - I will give it a bash soon, and will let you know how it went down with my Clan! I still say, for $10 - using chicken and mince you can really come up with your own stunning meal! I just did a weekly shop now at Woolies....and in my mind - I was calculating at $10 per meal....a little hard, but did really well!

:lol: yes - as a mom you always need that :) then you know the meal was a roaring success!!

Erica

Aw Wilma - okay so a 5/10 maybe.... :magic: At least you tried it now....ja man, experiment, always exciting - I will give it a bash soon, and will let you know how it went down with my Clan! I still say, for $10 - using chicken and mince you can really come up with your own stunning meal! I just did a weekly shop now at Woolies....and in my mind - I was calculating at $10 per meal....a little hard, but did really well!

:magic: yes - as a mom you always need that :magic: then you know the meal was a roaring success!!

Erica

Oh my word, Curtis Stone is a genius.

We have just polished off his chicken schnitzel thingy with red cabbage. Delish!

http://www.coles-feed-your-family.com.au/?...nd-Sour-Cabbage

Oh my word, Curtis Stone is a genius.

We have just polished off his chicken schnitzel thingy with red cabbage. Delish!

http://www.coles-feed-your-family.com.au/?...nd-Sour-Cabbage

Just have to give it a go now!!!!!

Erica

We made the beef stew a while back and it was divine!!

Okey dokey - so besides the Chef responsible - the meals are actually rather yummy???? :lol:

Thanks TheBs'.....another meal sorted.....will do the stew tomorrow and the cabbage one over the weekend!!

Erica

I think I'm going to try they pork and pineapple curry and the chicken fried rice - they look yummy (yes Erica, a bit like the chef :lol:)

I think I'm going to try they pork and pineapple curry and the chicken fried rice - they look yummy (yes Erica, a bit like the chef :holy:)

:lol::lol::lol: Not quiet sure WHO is responding......I hope the female TheBs' member..........tsk, tsk.........oh, yes - back to subject - yes TheBs' it does sound very exotic and yummy!!! We love both pork and pineapple....so will be a winner in this household! Pork and pineapple together...who thought..hey?? :lol:

Erica

• 3 weeks later...
:lol::lol::lol: Not quiet sure WHO is responding......I hope the female TheBs' member..........tsk, tsk.........oh, yes - back to subject - yes TheBs' it does sound very exotic and yummy!!! We love both pork and pineapple....so will be a winner in this household! Pork and pineapple together...who thought..hey?? :ilikeit:

Erica

Enjoying this thread! Hot-footed it off to the Coles website to take a look at the... recipes, yes, thats what it was, the recipes. Liked what I saw. :) Also liked that Coles does home deliveries - so thanks for that tip. (I'm REALLY new here so excuse my ignorance)

Archived