VISA options

Ockert van Heerden

I am considerring moving to Aus and is ready to go through the VISA application process in the www.immi.gov.au site and have 2 options, the independent VISA and the skills matching VISA.

Which one is the most effective.

Ockert van Heerden

Hi Ockert

We came over on the independent visa and could work anywhere and do anything we wanted to - even jobs that are different to what got us enough points.

Y

Hi

If you are serious about emigrating and staying in Oz, and are not in a rush, go for the 136 independent visa (if you qualify), when you have it you can still look for an employer (any), and they do sometimes also pay all expenses with move, etc.

Otherwise, try getting a sponsor on 457 visa and 'try it out' and apply for 136 from there. :D

Hi Ockert :D

The Skilled Independent (136) visa is 'the platinum visa', i.e. the one everyone wants! :lol: It gives you permanent residence (PR) straight away and you also have immediate benefits such as Medicare.

In what industry/field do you work? I am not as clued up on the Skills Matching visa; it seems engineers and tradespeople have the best chance of having the Skills Matching visa approved.

I'd say if you score 120 points (needed for the Skilled Independent (136) Visa), go for it!

Liza :blush:

Hi Ockert,

I am in IT and we decided to go for the 136 visa. It took about a year and a half until we got it, We did the process ourselves, was alot of work and running around but worth it.

Look at the occupation list on www.immi.gov.au for the visa and do the points test to see if you qualify and as kangaroo said got for it if you do qualify.

Anton

Hi Ajay. Thanx for your info on the sub class 457. I am currently on a permanent resident in Vancouver Canada. Been here for 18 months with just 12 months to go to get my Canadian citizenship. Here with my husband and two children. I am so unhappy in Canada I just can't believe it. I was the one who was so driven to come here. Did all the research etc. Schools are great and all that. Kids 14 and 16 are kind of happy but still struggling abit emotionally. I hate it !

I've recently spoken to one of my clients who has been here 6 yrs and never been able to settle. She has just come back from Australia ( 5 weeks ) and loves it. They're moving asap. Here's the crunch. I am 45yrs and my husband 54yrs. There's a pretty good chance that I might get ajob offer from a large chain of hair salons, and my husbands mother is an Australian citizen for the past 20 years. She will sponser us. The question is which visa. If I can't get the benefits of a pr visa I would be crazy to move.

. The question is what Visa would I be able to apply on . I have written to 'contacts' on immi aus gov. The reply, yes, there is a possibilty of getting in but no clarification as to what sort of visa or conditions. Before I write back to them I thought you might have some info as to any possibilities that might get us a better deal than the conditions of a 457.

Just a query as we are going through the same decisions. If one has applied for a 136 and then gets an offer from Australia is it possible to do a 457 application whilst continuing with the 136?

Thanks

You can submit a 457 application after your PR application, but just make sure that should your PR be granted prior to the TR (unlikely, I know) you withdraw the TR application. When your PR is granted you have to be "offshore" to get your visa label, so you have an excuse for a holiday.....

There are loads of people who go about it this way and I haven't heard of anyone who's had a problem.

C'Lou