Distances and rentals - SOR

K-Vdm

Hi there,

I have been looking around and areas SOR (rental prices etc)

Totally LOVE Rockingham and Mandurah (ok well from what I can see on the net) :blush:

Rentals are affordable (around AUD300-350 P.W) for 3x2

Then I checked the distance to Perth and it's more than an hours drive! :blink:

What would be good areas (we have 2 kids - 1 in primary and 1 in kindie), that is not too far from Perth (as I will assume that's where the work will be), and not too expensive (max AUD350 p.w) ?

Then how far is it to the beach if you stay a bit more "inland" - like Ferndale or Bentley (just using them as examples - haven't search for rentals there yet)

Sorry for all the q's but it's extremely difficult to try and research these options if you have NO idea how/where/what etc

Thanks so much (in advance) :blush:

Personally I wouldn't choose Mandurah unless I had work there - its a long commute into the city. That said, I work with a few people who live there and they wouldn't have it any other way! If you're looking for a coastal suburb you're either going to have a long trek to the city or pay a high rental. If you go inland marginally you'll find places nearer the city and within a half hour drive to the ocean with lower rentals such as Wilson, Myaree, Willagee.

Ellenbrook is a newer suburb, its east, you could possibly pick up a rental for $350 a week, the nearest train line is in Guildford though which is a 15 minute drive. Dont know many other areas you could get a cheap rental - we could not find anything for under $380 a week.

We are currently in Morley, Bayswater.......very central to all shops including the massive Centro Galleria, schools a plenty, on bus routes

and easy access to the City! It really is a great suburb to be in if you have kids......as everything is so close.....without traffic.....15 minutes

into the City! BUT rentals are pricey.....because of just that reason! Our rental has just now gone up to $370 - for a tiny 3x1 - but at having

practically everything 'on ones doorstep' this is a sort after suburb. The average 3x2 or 4x2 you are looking at $400 a week, maybe even slightly

more..... :blush:

Erica

Thanks so much for this info!

I will be looking into these areas mentioned closer to the time! At least I know to try and budget for more rental p.w! :blush:

Wanted to add:

Hubby said we should maybe rent a cheap (well cheap as possible) 2x1 for in the beginning (till we are settled and have jobs etc). Something with a garage that we can just store our extra furniture. But how easy is it to move again - especially with a school going child.. I don't know if this is a good option :blush:

But let me stress about all this later :blush:

If you are looking at a 2x1 it will be an apartment , hardly any 2x1 units or houses here, my advice to you is to find a school you like and then rent in that area ( you have to live in the school zone to attend a specific school), rentals are pricey, we were paying $450 in Bayswater, we could not find anything decent for cheaper. Here where we are now the rents are cheaper but there is no train line, there are many schools around here though and loads and loads of parks.

When will you be landing?

Hi,

I stay in Secret Harbour, it is between Rockingham and Port Kennedy. I takes me about 40min into the city and about 10 min to Madurah.

I was in the same position you were and somebody reccomended Secret Harbour...........and I tell you what it is perfect for us!! Close to the beach (2km from my house). and it is situated in between everything.

Driving North:

Port Kennedy - 5 min

Rockingham - 10 min

Perth - 40min

Airport - 40 min

Driving South:

Safety Bay - 5min

Mandurah - 10 Min

Two primary schools my daughter is in Secret Harbour and we are very happy. One Secondary(apparently a bit ruff)

We live in a 4X2 rental for $350.00 and there is alot of them available even cheaper as we are also looking to move to another house!

I dont like Rockingham!

I can reccomend Secret Harbour or Baldivis

Both fairly new suburbs!

Hope this helps! ;)

Hi,

I stay in Secret Harbour, it is between Rockingham and Port Kennedy. I takes me about 40min into the city and about 10 min to Madurah.

I was in the same position you were and somebody reccomended Secret Harbour...........and I tell you what it is perfect for us!! Close to the beach (2km from my house). and it is situated in between everything.

Driving North:

Port Kennedy - 5 min

Rockingham - 10 min

Perth - 40min

Airport - 40 min

Driving South:

Safety Bay - 5min

Mandurah - 10 Min

Two primary schools my daughter is in Secret Harbour and we are very happy. One Secondary(apparently a bit ruff)

We live in a 4X2 rental for $350.00 and there is alot of them available even cheaper as we are also looking to move to another house!

I dont like Rockingham!

I can reccomend Secret Harbour or Baldivis

Both fairly new suburbs!

Hope this helps! ;)

Thank you SO much! Will quickly have a look at these areas!

Much much appreciated!

If you are looking at a 2x1 it will be an apartment , hardly any 2x1 units or houses here, my advice to you is to find a school you like and then rent in that area ( you have to live in the school zone to attend a specific school), rentals are pricey, we were paying $450 in Bayswater, we could not find anything decent for cheaper. Here where we are now the rents are cheaper but there is no train line, there are many schools around here though and loads and loads of parks.

When will you be landing?

Thanks Candi, I am still busy having my skills assessed with the ASA - from there TRA then applying to state then visa!

So still a while for us to go, but I like to prepare and research a lot!

So we won't be landing in the very near future, but hopefuly soon!

Hi K-vdm

We live SOR in Baldivis (about 10km from the beach) and about 45km from the city, somewhere between Rockingham and Mandurah. We just love it. I do work in the city, and yes it does take me about an hour to get to work, I also do take the train, which is about 5 min from we live.

We did previously lived in Rockingham, and its very nice living there, but some of the parts in Rockingham is not safe. The rent there is about $350 for a 4x2. Baldivis is around the same price.

Other places about 15 - 30min out of the city (SOR) is Success, Yangebub. Coogee is very beautiful, but a bit expensive for me.

Hope the info helps a bit.

Good luck with the last part of your journey.

Telanie

Hi K-vdm

We live SOR in Baldivis (about 10km from the beach) and about 45km from the city, somewhere between Rockingham and Mandurah. We just love it. I do work in the city, and yes it does take me about an hour to get to work, I also do take the train, which is about 5 min from we live.

We did previously lived in Rockingham, and its very nice living there, but some of the parts in Rockingham is not safe. The rent there is about $350 for a 4x2. Baldivis is around the same price.

Other places about 15 - 30min out of the city (SOR) is Success, Yangebub. Coogee is very beautiful, but a bit expensive for me.

Hope the info helps a bit.

Good luck with the last part of your journey.

Telanie

Thank you Telanie, will look at Baldivis (I think I have seen it during my searches as a few ppl have mentioned it). I like the fact that there is access to public transport (train) - this always helps! ;)

I've checked Coogee but also found it expensive ;)

Feel free to pm me if you need some more info. Good luck with everything.

Feel free to pm me if you need some more info. Good luck with everything.

Baie baie dankie, ek waardeer dit baie!

Is there a train going from Mandurah into the city? And if so, how long is the commute?

Is there a train going from Mandurah into the city? And if so, how long is the commute?

The train takes exactly 50 minutes - the perfect amount of time for a nice read!

Personally I would plan my residence around public transport - very few companies will offer you a parking bay as parking is limited and very bloody expensive in the Perth CBD.

The train takes exactly 50 minutes - the perfect amount of time for a nice read!

Personally I would plan my residence around public transport - very few companies will offer you a parking bay as parking is limited and very bloody expensive in the Perth CBD.

Sounds like we will definately look into making Mandurah one of our top 3 choices!

Hubby said he will easily have a nice nap (catch up on some sleep) while commuting to the city :)

Yes there is, its a 50 minute journey I think. I am going down to Mandurah but train next weekend so I will time it for you.

Mandurah is very lekker. Perhaps consider Meadow Springs or Madora Bay or Secret Harbour also (my favourite). They are a brand new areas and 2 minutes form the station.

Mandurah is very lekker. Perhaps consider Meadow Springs or Madora Bay or Secret Harbour also (my favourite). They are a brand new areas and 2 minutes form the station.

I have looked at Secret Harbour (also very very nice!!), will check the others out. Do all of these suburbs have primary schools and daycare for under 3yr olds? We are looking at Government schools and obviously want nice ones for our eldest (7yrs old)

Do you have to live in a certain section / area to be able to attend a certain school?

Here is a great site for checking out daycares in the different areas and more specifically, who has places (finding a daycare with room available in Perth can be tricky).

http://www.careforkids.com.au/

Here is a great site for checking out daycares in the different areas and more specifically, who has places (finding a daycare with room available in Perth can be tricky).

http://www.careforkids.com.au/

Thank you SO much !!

• 1 month later...
Sounds like we will definately look into making Mandurah one of our top 3 choices!

Hubby said he will easily have a nice nap (catch up on some sleep) while commuting to the city <_<

Hi, I recommend that you log on to http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Home/Journ...56/Default.aspx. You can type in adressess and it will show you how long it will take from point A to B.

Cheers

Archived