ADSL/Naked DSL and VOIP

Lisa S

We are living in Kinross north of Perth, Joondalup. We are looking at getting either land line and ADSL or naked DSL with Voip. Does anyone have any advice on these services and do you get a delay on the line when you call SA. I dont know much about this kind of thing and need to get it soon but dont know which way to go and which provider to use. I have been told alot about Iinet anyone know or use them. Is it worth going Voip or land line. I know the calls are much cheaper through VOIP. The only thing we are worried about is that we are battling with signal with our mobile internet through Vodafone, not good at all where we live, Will we have the sameproblem when it comes to VOIP?

Lisa

Anyone?

Defintely go for Iinet. We changing to them when our two yr contract is up. Their South Africa calls for $1.98 for 30 minutes is very attractive. but that is not VOIP - just standard line calls. whatever you do, dont sign a 2 yr contract. Rather buy a modem yourself and that way you can change if you not happy.

Hi Lisa,

Just a bit of extra clarification. A VOIP line simply means that instead of a conventional analogue phone service the service provider uses your broadband service to transmit the voice signal digitally over IP protocols. VOIP therefore is still a 'landline' based service; they physical connect your house onto a network and therefore the quality of mobile signals in your area will not have any impact on the quality of your VOIP service - how far you are from a switch and the quality of the service provider's cabling in your area will be the key factor in determining this.

Tech speak aside; naked DSL with VOIP is in my view a good cost effective way of getting ADSL with a telephone service - your monthly subscription costs are typically less than getting a Telstra line plus ADSL on top of that; and it is cheaper for overseas calls than going through a conventional phone line. I know a few people that have this and are very happy with it. I've also only heard good things about IInet as a company.

Personally we've recently signed onto Vividwireless (we we're with 3 wireless broadband before); which is another alternative if you're renting and don't want the hassle of ADSL line installations initially and whenever you move houses. They provide close to ADSL1 level speed over a wireless network (I can download 3mb of data in around 15 seconds with it) - and they too provide a VOIP phone option with it. We're very happy with them; but because their's is a wireless service the quality and speed can vary depending on your geographical location and reception.

z

We've been with IInet for about 3 years and are very happy.

Hi Lisa,

Just a bit of extra clarification. A VOIP line simply means that instead of a conventional analogue phone service the service provider uses your broadband service to transmit the voice signal digitally over IP protocols. VOIP therefore is still a 'landline' based service; they physical connect your house onto a network and therefore the quality of mobile signals in your area will not have any impact on the quality of your VOIP service - how far you are from a switch and the quality of the service provider's cabling in your area will be the key factor in determining this.

Tech speak aside; naked DSL with VOIP is in my view a good cost effective way of getting ADSL with a telephone service - your monthly subscription costs are typically less than getting a Telstra line plus ADSL on top of that; and it is cheaper for overseas calls than going through a conventional phone line. I know a few people that have this and are very happy with it. I've also only heard good things about IInet as a company.

Personally we've recently signed onto Vividwireless (we we're with 3 wireless broadband before); which is another alternative if you're renting and don't want the hassle of ADSL line installations initially and whenever you move houses. They provide close to ADSL1 level speed over a wireless network (I can download 3mb of data in around 15 seconds with it) - and they too provide a VOIP phone option with it. We're very happy with them; but because their's is a wireless service the quality and speed can vary depending on your geographical location and reception.

z

Yup, I agree with zetman. If I had the option I would certainly go Naked ADSL2+ with VOIP. Unfortunately Naked ADSL2+ was not available in my area. Might be in the foreseeable future...

Also, if you can, try and get a ADSL2+ VOIP router i.e. one with input for a VOIP phone. Then get yourself a VOIP phone from Harvey Norman/Dick Smith/JB Hi-Fi/etc. It's very useful if you don't want to have to remember how to go about making a VOIP call. Also easier to teach the kids ;)

My alternative:

==========

Right now I'm making use of a VOIP provider, VoipCheap for my VOIP calls. They are fairly cheap. You can check them out online at www.voipcheap.com. The nice thing is that VoipCheap works via the iPhone application, Fring (have to do some initial settings) so for me it's like making a normal call on my phone.

Also, in case you don't know, Skype now works via 3G as well. So if you have a smart phone with some sort of Skype integration (Skype app for the iPhone) you can make free Skype to Skype calls anywhere where there's a decent 3G signal. You are no longer bound to your PC/network/home/etc.

Cheers...

In the northern parts of Kinross, the Vividwireless service should be good for around 11Mbps, using the Home Gateway product, and getting the signal from their Tamala Park base station. It will be likely faster than ADSL2+ (where the peak theoretical speed is only achievable if you live next door to the exchange containing the DSLAM/ADSL termination point).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lisa, I am in Kinross, using iiNET Naked DSL and it is working fine to SA, the calls are cheap compare to using a normal landline. There is hardly any delay on the line. The only drawback is if the power fail you do not have a phone. The other option is if you have a landline with ADSL is to use a box called Buzzbox It convert your call to a VOIP call over the internet instead of the normal landline, I used it for a while and a 40min call to SA cost me around $2. and to a mobile in SA around $4.

my 2c worth of info.

cheers

Jan

Archived