Grunt: Oh my sole: Moving to OZ

Grunt

Last week my wife recieved an offer to work in sydney, the offer seems to be good (well I think its good). We have decided without much hesitation to gladly accept the offer, so we will be in OZ in the beginning of March. Now that in itself is quite scary. Good grief March, I wish there was some kind of checklist to make sure that I do not forget anything before I leave here. There is so much to do, stop accounts, stop services spend way to much time in home affairs, police departments, hospitals. But I am sure its all worth it.

Personally I have never been to OZ, but I hear I will be more than happy, I have been doing research mostly about places to stay, and I like the look of the northern beaches (any comments).

I have found these forums very supportive and informative.

Wish me luck

Grunt

Hey Grunt,

I live on the North Shore in Sydney. Any specific area you're looking at? Let me know if you have any questions and we'll be glad to help out! :ilikeit:

Welcome to Australia :ilikeit:

Now that’s what I am talking about when I say this forum offers support and advice.

Blondie, I am looking specifically at the Avalon, Bilgola area, I was born in Port Elizabeth (SA), and grew up in Bloem and Jozi, so I am keen to live by the sea. I know that the area is more expensive than other areas, (about $600 per week), but I love the mix of suburbia and ocean living.

Riekie, that is exactly what I am looking for, Thanks.

You guys rock.

Hey Grunt,

Do you have any idea where you will be working yet? Travel form those areas into Sydney can be a pain in the butt :ilikeit: , but if you are happy to do that or if there is public transport (train) that's great. Another area you can look at (also by the sea) is Dee Why or Curl Curl. Close enough to the sea, but far enough out of Sydney :ilikeit: Public transport here is really good, but some areas don't have train stations close by so you would have to do the bus thing.....

Let me know and we can do more research.

Cheers

Blondie

Hey Grunt,

First up - welcome! Glad you've found this helpful so far - we aim to please :ilikeit:

I have friends that live in Frenchs Forest and Brookvale and they are both also lovely spots. Convenient for travel to the city (via bus) and nice and close to the beaches as well.

Cheers

Ajay

Good morning everybody,

I currently live in Krugersdorp, and commute to Hyde park every day, about 65km a day, my wife works in woodmead, and that is about 80km a day, we have always been fine with commuting, but obviously I don't know the what the congestion is like.

My wife will be working in North Ryde, which is about 35km away from avalon (i assume, thanks to google earth), I more than likely will be working from home until I manage to get a job. My current company is keen to keep me on the payroll (but that depends on if they can pay me in dollars). I don't think it would be difficult to find a job for me, but untill then i will be working from home.

I will have a look at the areas you guys have mentioned, and let you know what i think, although i am looking for a minimun of 3 beds and one bath.

Cheers, and thanks

Hi there

Welcome and good luck. We had a month to move after my hubby got his job and you will be surprised how well you get stuck in and get things done. I think in fact it is easier when you have such strict time limits.

We live on the North Shore and the Northern Beaches are really lovely. If you are directly along the coast you won't have any trains and will have to make use of buses. We live about 20 minutes to the nearest beach and about 30 minutes to the areas you mention. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to North Ryde but that is not during peak hour. I would think that it would take your wife just over an hour perhaps longer. If you look at areas like Terrey Hills, Frenches Forest you will have about 10 mnutes to the beach and 25 to North Ryde. If you are not wanting to be right on the beach Turrumurra, Pymble, Gordon are all on the railway line and will take you about 20minutes to the beach. I think that you will be looking at a bit more than $600 in areas you mentioned but they are absolutlely gorgeous. Have a look at realestate.com.au for prices.

I hope all goes well, if you need any further help feel free to pm me.

Good Luck

hi sa2auz,

I made a mistake I mentioned that I would be paying $600 p/w but in actual fact this figure is more like $600 to $700, I have been looking on realestate.com.au for prices and this seems to be a good range for these areas, but I am going to look at the other areas mentioned soon, I will let you guys know.

Hi Grunt

It's a great opporunity and the fact that one of you already has a job will make the process much easier.

We're on the upper North Shore - get hold of us when you arrive and we'll do what we can to help you settle.

Regards

Kevin & Shelley.

Thanks Kevin, we will definitely contact you, its always good to have some SA contacts. We can have a lekker braai, and watch some rugga. It is pretty weird I have not yet left SA and I am already missing the place. But I am so excited, man alive its going to be good.

Cheers

Hi everybody,

Just a quick note...

I had a look at Frenchs Forest, and it is amazing, and whats even better besides the price, is the fact that it is only 8km from Karen's work.

Thanks to everybody for thier input about the location, for those views I don't mind not living at the beach.

Cheers

Hey Grunt,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your quick move! I know all will work out well for you and Karen and that you will find a perfect place/area to settle!

What line of jobs are you in? Keep us updated.

Cheers,

Helena G :blink:

Hi Grunt

Wow...it's great to see another "forumer" from Krugersdorp.

We travel to Midrand daily and I can't say that its pleasant.... oh well.

Good luck with the move and settling in. Let us know how it goes.

Polyanna

Hey Grunt,

Frenchs Forest is great and you can also take a look at Forestville, they are basically right next to each other! Sorry about not recommending it earlier. I live in Killarney Heights which is right next to Forestville. I work in North Ryde as well! When are you guys coming out here? It takes me about 45 minutes to get to work in the morning, depends on traffic of course. Let us know if we can help with schools in the areas you mentioned, if you have kids.....and any other questions you have.

Cheers

Blondie

Hi everybody,

Here is an update; we found out yesterday that there is a delay in the immigration department and it could take an extra two weeks to process the visas. NOOOOOO, but hey such is life, i am still hopeful to have it in 6 weeks, but only time will tell.

Blondie, thanks for more suggestions for accommodation, I will have a look and let you know. I do not have any kids, it is just me and my wife. But i do have a lot of questions, but mostly about (believe it or not) products, such as what toothpaste, washing powder, soap, electronic appliances etc. But I know that these are very vague, so let me get my ducks in a row and i will get back to you.

So Polyanna were about in Krugersdorp are you from, Midrand hey, that’s rough, could be worse though – my company is moving to Bedfordview soon.

Helena, Karen is in Clinical Research, and I am an IT Development Manager/Senior Programmer. My company is going to put a proposal together to keep me here, but let me work from home in OZ. Hold thumbs for that at least I will not miss a salary for the first month or so. But I am sure I will not struggle to find a job, there seems to be so much work over there. Time will tell.

Cheers everybody

Hi everybody,

Here is an update; we found out yesterday that there is a delay in the immigration department and it could take an extra two weeks to process the visas. NOOOOOO, but hey such is life, i am still hopeful to have it in 6 weeks, but only time will tell.

Blondie, thanks for more suggestions for accommodation, I will have a look and let you know. I do not have any kids, it is just me and my wife. But i do have a lot of questions, but mostly about (believe it or not) products, such as what toothpaste, washing powder, soap, electronic appliances etc. But I know that these are very vague, so let me get my ducks in a row and i will get back to you.

So Polyanna were about in Krugersdorp are you from, Midrand hey, that’s rough, could be worse though – my company is moving to Bedfordview soon.

Helena, Karen is in Clinical Research, and I am an IT Development Manager/Senior Programmer. My company is going to put a proposal together to keep me here, but let me work from home in OZ. Hold thumbs for that at least I will not miss a salary for the first month or so. But I am sure I will not struggle to find a job, there seems to be so much work over there. Time will tell.

Cheers everybody

Hey Grunt

We live in Monument.. We've been here for the last 10 years. It's a great area to raise kids.

The extra two weeks won't be so bad. Use the time to wrap up things on this side.

Good luck

Hi Grunt

See how things go with your job proposal but I know Ajay was in recruiting and is now working in the IT Industry recruiting etc and her company is currently on a big growth spurt. Give Ajay a pm and she might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

S

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

I am back from the dead. I have been running around pretty much like a chicken with out a head the last week, hence me not being able to post, and let you guys now how things are going.

The waiting game is well under way, I am not sure if I can hold out for the 6-8 weeks needed for the sponsored visa, I can't imagine how bad the 2 year wait is for the skills visa.

Any way the health checks have been sent, all references sent, all docs completed, now just the wait.

sa2auz, thanks for the info about Ajay, I will give her a shout.

I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers

Hi Grunt ek werk vir CSC EN HET VAN HUIS AF GEWERK IN SA en was regtig nice .Een dag het ek besluit ek gaan weereens kyk of ons kan oor kom na oorsee.Vorige kere het die deure nie heeltemal oopgemaak nie .Wel ek bel toe n paar ouens en kom toe by n baas uit aan die kant van Perth by csc .Ek bel hom toe en hy het met my somer n onderhoud gevoer op Skype na so 15 -20min se hy toe, ok wanneer kan jy oorkom en begin dit was verskriklik .Ek het nie besef dit gaan so trugvoering wees so gou nie .Ek het na my vrou toe gegaan en my skoonouers en gese ons gaan Perth toe .Almal was so geskok en verbaas en het gedink ek joke .Ursula [my vrou] vra toe wanneer en ek se so gou as moontlik.Dit was Sep 2006 en moes okt.begin wat te gou was en ons koppe was deurmekaar en als het oortyd gewerk ek het vir uitstel gevra tot Nov .Sjoe dinge moes gou teen spoed van wit lug gebeur en 5NOV2006 is ons hier en man dit was deur en deur die moeite werd al was dit so flippen gou ons lag nog daaroor en pelle se dis net ons wat so mal is om so gou oor te kom.Was baie stres en reelings. Sterkte en glo my dit kan gedoen word ek weet en ek werk weer van huis af en gaan net in as ek klieente moet sien .Albert.

Edited by Allie&Urs

:D:lol::lol::D

Hey everybody, I have amazing news. We got confirmation of our visas yesterday, now we need to fetch them in pretoria. I can't believe it they approved the visas in just over two weeks (they said 6 -8 weeks). Man alive this is great. We will more than lickely fly out on the 1st of march.

Now all thats left is to sell the cars, the house is sold and most of our furniture. So if any body knows any one who wants to buy some stuff check out my website. But please keep in mind I created the website about two days ago, and it is my attempt to teach myself some PHP.

Cheerrs

Grunt