IELTS - General vs Academic

Stuart and Jill

Hi all

The Adelaide skills processing center has taken receipt of our visa and has requested I do the IELTS test. I have applied for this and was also told to do the academic version as opposed to the general test.

Has anyone written the academic one or know the difference between the two?

Regards

Stuart

Hi

I wrote the Academic IELTS, it is quite challenging. The academic test is made up of the same four components (Listening, Speaking, Reading & Comprehension and Writing) as the general it is just at a higher standard. You are under pressure to finish but as long as you maintain focus, you will get through the test.

There have been quite a few posts on this and other forumites have given their opinions. Take a look at this post " IELTS Test, Which Test"

Cheers

Gaille :ilikeit:

Edited by The Parsons Family

hi, we will be writing the general test in a while.

I have done the academic one 2 years ago (now expired), so will post my thoughts on the 'difference' later.

:ilikeit:

Hi Bianca

Why the general this time round and what was your impression of the academic one at the time of writing?

S.

hi, we will be writing the general test in a while.

I have done the academic one 2 years ago (now expired), so will post my thoughts on the 'difference' later.

:ilikeit:

hi

I needed the academic one for further studies in UK, as first degree was in Afrikaans.

Now we are applying for 136 PR visa, but on other half's name, and as I only go as spouse and later my degree will be in English, so I only need the general Ielts in the mean time so we can put the 136 visa through... He also only need 136 for his occupation.

By the time I register in Oz for profession I won't need academic one, as degree was in UK. Hope it makes sense.

Academic one was okay, but I must say if I sat it a few years earlier (rather than after 4 years in UK), coming from a Afrikaans dorp mostly, I would have find it more challenging. You have to keep concentrating and work fast...

will post about general later. Good luck :ilikeit: